November 2015 Moms
Options

Freaking out..

Anyone else been thinking about the end game... Pushing a baby out? I know after you don't really care it's a miracle you have your baby but woah ripping freaks me out.

Re: Freaking out..

• Options
    aliciabethRNaliciabethRN member
    edited May 2015
    I had a pretty scary both complication with my last. So having the baby has definitely been on my mind.
  • Options
    It scared me a lot my first time.  I had a rough pregnancy and was scared the birth would be the same.  I literally ended up doing about 75% of the work while I was asleep. 

My water had broken early in the morning and I went to the hospital right away despite not feeling contractions. (Don't do that, it led to me being stuck in the bed for hours longer than necessary and they wouldn't let me walk after they gave me a pitocin drip.)  Later that afternoon after labor started pretty well I had an epidural and was only at 4cm dilated.  The doctor said I wouldn't give birth until some time the next day.  I kicked everyone out of the room. (My ex and his parents were annoying the heck out of me.) I took a nap and woke up when my daughter was crowning.  I had no tearing. 
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Anyone else been thinking about the end game... Pushing a baby out? I know after you don't really care it's a miracle you have your baby but woah ripping freaks me out.

This. The idea of tearing terrifies me! I have to keep reminding myself we are built to do this. Hopefully the classes help, but I am so nervous about it.
  • Options
    Don't freak yourself out! It's really not as traumatic as you may think... I did tear, but I didn't even realize I had because that's the last thing on your mind. I will say I didn't have an epidural because I wanted to be in control of my body and I was able to push my daughter out within 30 minutes of being fully dilated. Felt like 5 mins!  
  • Options
    I like the sound of 5 minutes lol
  • Options
    kmd91kmd91 member
    I'm not so much worried about the actual delivery, because I feel like with everything's going on, things like tearing and such won't be the first thing in my mind. What I am worried about is the healing period after delivery. That just freaks me out.
  • Options
    I had some complications last time so I'm a little worried because a year and a half later I'm having twins. The hormones after the birth do wonders for making that time a little fuzzy I promise. The healing period is tough but it goes faster than you expect right now.
  • Options
    maura+cmaura+c member
    I agree with the last post sent. My induction to delivery time was over 36 hours. Your brain doesn't realize how much time has past and when you finally get to push its the best thing in the world (at least for me). I had a few crazy things happen during the labor process too- one he got stuck and they said prepare yourself for a c-section then all of a sudden I was progressing; then my dilation stopped and all I wanted to do is push. Anyway, whatever happens- know you are in good hands and the nurses will do everything in there power to keep you as comfortable, as possible (if your going to deliver at the hospital). One thing that I did find amazing is that your labor and delivery nurses do all the work with you- the doctor comes in the last 15 min. And delivers the baby!! And the dr gets all the glory. I actually sent my nurse "sherries berries" for a gift (I wasn't the best patient lol) to thank her for dealing with me!! Anyway, good luck and by the time we are all around 35-36 weeks I'm sure there won't be any fear- we are just going to be asking ourselves when is my miracle going to come!!??
  • Options
    It hurts, sometimes it seems to last forever. In my case I had an emergency c-section and we both almost died. And here we are doing it all over again. Bring it on November.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    cbolton19 said:

This. The idea of tearing terrifies me! I have to keep reminding myself we are built to do this. Hopefully the classes help, but I am so nervous about it.
    Tearing was my biggest fear with DS and rest assured it was the last thing on my mind! I did have tearing (level 2), but I had an epidural and didnt feel it! It was a beautiful thing. Also, getting an epidural wont prevent you from feeling out of control or cause the process to take forever. I shot my son out in no time and my body sent me all the necessary signals for when to push. The epidural helped with the pain, but didnt prevent me from knowing what to do. Best of luck - you will do great!
  • Options
    Tearing sounds worse than it usually is. I had an episiotomy with DD1 that was worse than my natural tear with DD2. I had no idea when it actually happened didn't feel it tearing or being cut. The healing was no issue with DD2 but Episiotomy healed slower. Just breath you can do it.
  • Options
    Tiff1stTiff1st member
    I literally am so worried about labour!! I literally scare myself so bad!! I am beyond scared!! I know with God everything will be okay! But I still get scared! We will be okay! :\">
  • Options
    I think I might be more afraid of my husband passing out and I won't be able to control the laughter to push.... Lol happy thoughts
  • Options
    I'm trying not to think about it yet as my first was traumatic. DS came 6 weeks early emergency c section. I just hope this lima bean makes it full term.
  • Options

I think I might be more afraid of my husband passing out and I won't be able to control the laughter to push.... Lol happy thoughts

Or the laughing might help you push haha!
  • Options
    Well funny for me I was scared before I got my pregnant, now I dont have a tiny bit of stress, it is happening and it will fine, I look forward to it... How weird ?
  • Options
    I am worried about it a bit, I try not to think about it, tearing worries me but I'm more worried about a disaster happening and there being complications. The thought of having this horrendous pregnancy and it ending badly scares me more than life itself. I have resigned to not thinking about it at all!
  • Options
    I was so scared and worried with my first pregnancy with delivering my daughter. But in all honesty once it's happening you dont even think you just do. I remember pushing and praying and everything was perfect with my daughter. She was beautiful and the whole experience left me in tears of happiness. I think as mommies we naturally worry about our babies and we worry about all the things to come but stay positive and as scary as the thought of delivering a baby is, it's also a one of a kind most amazing experience. This is my second pregnancy and even though I'm only 13 weeks November can't come fast enough. I'm sure I'll cry all over again lol
  • Options
    Having an epidural doesn't make you incapable of knowing when to push. I pushed the baby out in ~30 minutes and had a 2nd degree tear. I never took any pain medication and my lady bits never really hurt. The only thing that scared me was pooping afterwards but it wasn't too bad.

• Options
    fitmama89 said:

I was so terrified of birth when I was pregnant with our first! Smoothest delivery ever. I literally pushed out baby & said "is that it?" Granted - I did have an epidural. This time around I am going to attempt no epidural.
    Side note- stress less about delivery ... Read up on breastfeeding. That is 10x harder ;)

Yes.

• Options
    anneof2anneof2 member
    I was terrified of tearing, because my friend told me how awful it was for her. I ended up having a c-section because after 24 hours of pitocin nothing was happening. My son was stuck, my pelvis is too small. It hurt a lot when they were trying to pull him out of me. They started with "you'll feel a bit of pressure" to "this is gonna hurt like ..." broken bones are awful.
  • Options
    Elyse1384 said:

cbolton19 said:

Tearing was my biggest fear with DS and rest assured it was the last thing on my mind! I did have tearing (level 2), but I had an epidural and didnt feel it! It was a beautiful thing. Also, getting an epidural wont prevent you from feeling out of control or cause the process to take forever. I shot my son out in no time and my body sent me all the necessary signals for when to push. The epidural helped with the pain, but didnt prevent me from knowing what to do. Best of luck - you will do great!
    Thank you! That is good to hear. It's all a bit scary. Ha ha
  • Options
    I'm scared that I'll have to get a C- Section
  • Options
    urby87urby87 member
    I think about this a lot, actually.  I want to go natural, but I am terrified of the pain and tearing. :-S
  • Options
    My first labor and delivery was pretty amazing considering. Things went smoothly and I tore but recovery wasn't bad. With my second, it was slightly different. Both times my water broke at home and with my second, there were a lot of complications with whether she would make it due to her own health issues. I had her at 32 weeks. Delivery was fairly smooth but recovery was harder. After two weeks I was really able to feel like myself again. Hoping this labor and delivery will be quick and easy. Would def be nice if my water broke at home again but full term!
    My DH and I are expecting our first child! A boy.. we're thrilled :)http://www.thebump.com/profiles/kestes946/settings/avatar/index# BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    KSabyanKSabyan member
    I watched some birthing videos and scared the hell out of me. One they had to cut her so the baby could come out. Yes I'm excited for my bundle of joy but it is freaky. And everything that comes with it.
  • Options
    elbouelbou member
    urby87 said:

I think about this a lot, actually.  I want to go natural, but I am terrified of the pain and tearing. :-S

One of the best pieces of advice I got from my best friend was to try to read up on the different stages of labour.

If you want to go natural, it really helps to know what is happening and how it correlates to what you're feeling. With both DD2 and DS, the point where I didn't think I could make any further without pain medication came very shortly before it was time to push. Knowing that if I could just make it past that stage, I would be able to do go all the way was a huge moral booster.

• Options
    elbou said:

urby87 said:

One of the best pieces of advice I got from my best friend was to try to read up on the different stages of labour.

If you want to go natural, it really helps to know what is happening and how it correlates to what you're feeling. With both DD2 and DS, the point where I didn't think I could make any further without pain medication came very shortly before it was time to push. Knowing that if I could just make it past that stage, I would be able to do go all the way was a huge moral booster.

This. I went natural with both and I vividly remember each time hitting the point at which I said, "I really want drugs," and then knowing that likely meant the end was in sight. Pushing out the baby at the end is like the greatest moment of relief I've ever felt in my life. 

Also , it's cliche but we wouldn't be willing to do it again and again if the payoff didn't far outweigh the journey and pain to get there. 
  • Options
    lovey31lovey31 member
    I was scared with my first but really turned out to be the best day. I got to lay down and watch HGTV all day while nurses would bring me popsicles. Then I went to sleep and was woken up and told to push a few mins later I had a baby. It was awesome. The months after that of no sleep now that was ruff.
  • Options
    I just try not to think about it. We are all at the point of no return, so my take is why worry about the inevitable? Birth is natural so I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and not stress.
  • Options
    Labor and birth and can only last so long. It's being a parent that is hard.
    I agree with others that the sleep deprivation and breastfeeding were more difficult for me to deal with.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    I was very nervous about labor with my first. My labor completely sucked but having gone thru it and knowing what I am in for this time I am not nervous. Looking back it was a couple bad days but totally worth it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker