Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Breastfeeding and OPKs (and quick intro)

edited July 2023 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Hi ladies! I've been on TB for about 3-4 years now, posting on and off. First the infertility boards, then the loss boards, and then O13 when I finally had my rainbow baby. Now that DD is almost 2, we are ttgp. I haven't gotten my cycle back yet, we are still breastfeeding, but I wanted to start using opks to see if my body is doing anything. I have been testing for 10 days and every single day I have gotten a second line, though not dark enough to be considered positive. Does anyone have any experience with this or insight into this? The lines are about the same color every day. I've searched Dr. Google and it sounds like breastfeeding can affect the results, but I couldn't find a lot of information on it. TIA!
*TTC since July 2010
*BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
*BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote

Re: Breastfeeding and OPKs (and quick intro)

• Options
    I don't see how breastfeeding could cause a false negative on an opk. Breastfeeding can prevent the LH surge that causes the opk to be positive and causes you to ovulate. But I'm not really sure I understand your question actually. If you were to ovulate, the opk would probably pick up the lh surge.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    I think temping would be much more accurate for you. Take a look at fertility friend.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jnissajnissa member
    Breastfeeding means prolactin., Prolactin suppresses fertility hormones including LH, which is the hormone the tests pick upon as above. Your body is likely still going through the motions of fertility, so there is a surge, though it may not be dark enough to be "positive" because the total amount is less than the test threshold because of the suppression.

But really, when fertility resumes during pregnancy, it usually comes period first with no ovulation so it would just make more sense to wait for your cycle. I know you're excited to start trying. We actually just weaned our daughter at 6 months so we could get back on track for #2. 

Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Options
    I am also TTC while breastfeeding, but I am in the process of weaning because I was having AF every 40-50 days and likely was not ovulating. I'm in my first month of temping, so we'll see. How often are you nursing? We're down to twice a day, I really hope I don't have to stop completely in order to conceive #2!
    Me: 35   DH: 35
    Married: 5-16-2009
    Charlotte Elaine 5-27-2014
    Anna Josephine 3-29-2016
    Baby #3 EDD 3-3-2018

My Chart 
  • Options
    Thanks for the input so far!

@TheBorg7of9, I guess I'm just wondering why I'd have so many days with results. I used opks for a year and a half before DD, and only had a few days of lines before getting my positive.

@crogers19, temping is not my friend lol. I did that for a year before switching to opks the first time. My temps were all over the place because I don't wake up at the same time every day and I naturally drift in and out of sleep a few times before truly waking. I was not successful.

Thank you @jnissa. That's what I always thought would happen, but my sister recently got pregnant without AF coming first and her nursling was 22 months. That's what made me want to see if anything was happening with me.

@ebartenfeld, good luck ttc! She is still very much attached to the boob. A few times throughout the day and she sleep nurses a couple of times at night. She's very tiny, so I don't mind getting her the extra calories. I know night weaning completely would probably help. I'm not really expecting to get pregnant any time soon, as nice as it would be. I just don't really understand what's going on with my opks lol.
    *TTC since July 2010

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

• Options

Thanks for the input so far!

@TheBorg7of9, I guess I'm just wondering why I'd have so many days with results. I used opks for a year and a half before DD, and only had a few days of lines before getting my positive.

@crogers19, temping is not my friend lol. I did that for a year before switching to opks the first time. My temps were all over the place because I don't wake up at the same time every day and I naturally drift in and out of sleep a few times before truly waking. I was not successful.

Thank you @jnissa. That's what I always thought would happen, but my sister recently got pregnant without AF coming first and her nursling was 22 months. That's what made me want to see if anything was happening with me.

@ebartenfeld, good luck ttc! She is still very much attached to the boob. A few times throughout the day and she sleep nurses a couple of times at night. She's very tiny, so I don't mind getting her the extra calories. I know night weaning completely would probably help. I'm not really expecting to get pregnant any time soon, as nice as it would be. I just don't really understand what's going on with my opks lol.

Oh, it's normal for there to always be a line. We usually have "some" lh in our bodies. It doesn't mean anything.

Google Kellymom and return of fertility for some good information.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options

Hi ladies! I've been on TB for about 3-4 years now, posting on and off. First the infertility boards, then the loss boards, and then O13 when I finally had my rainbow baby. Now that DD is almost 2, we are ttgp. I haven't gotten my cycle back yet, we are still breastfeeding, but I wanted to start using opks to see if my body is doing anything. I have been testing for 10 days and every single day I have gotten a second line, though not dark enough to be considered positive. Does anyone have any experience with this or insight into this? The lines are about the same color every day. I've searched Dr. Google and it sounds like breastfeeding can affect the results, but I couldn't find a lot of information on it. TIA!

Breast feeding can inhibit ovulation all together. So you may not see any variation in LH surge because you are not cycling. I have the same until I ovulate.

My cycles are long (longest being 162 days, shortest being 63 days long). It's possible to conceive while BF, but honestly I'd hump it out 2-3 times a week. I would also see if temping works for you. BBT temping seems to be hard for me because my sleep is unpredictable.

Good luck! We've been passively TTC (not really worrying about timing & just kind of winging it) since August 2013.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Just wanted to say hi and good luck! We're in a similar situation. I have a 27 month old who is still BF and I have yet to have my cycle return-- although not sure if that's from the BF or because I had an IUD up until April when it was removed. I'm temping and using opks-- but nothing yet. I really don't want to wean to TCC. I hope everything goes well for you and that you get answers soon!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    In case anyone cares, this is out that turned out! The tests never showed what I would consider to be a positive, so I stopped testing daily and started doing it about once/week. Not the most accurate way to do it, but there you go. I also still haven't gotten my period, but we all know that doesn't mean anything... especially because I got a bfp this past Monday (the 29th)!! I'm still waiting for my appt to confirm the due date, but my best guess is we are due about the 12th of March. We don't dtd often enough for it to be hard to figure out, sadly lol, but that's life with a toddler.
    *TTC since July 2010

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

• Options
    There were ladies here in the same boat as me (ttgp, yet their cycle hadn't returned), so this was mainly an update for them.
    *TTC since July 2010

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

• Options

There were ladies here in the same boat as me (ttgp, yet their cycle hadn't returned), so this was mainly an update for them.

I see they responded.

But in all seriousness this would have been so much better received if you would have said something even remotely close to that....instead it felt like (another) zombie bfp rubbed in our faces. The last one was closed by admin.

It really does feel that way...

• Options
    Congrats, but I'm not sure the drive by was necessary. :|

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    kerriesankerriesan Newbie
    edited September 2022
    For whatever it’s worth, I didn’t take this as you rubbing it in any one’s face and was searching for some hope to give my friend TTC while breastfeeding in 2022, 7 years later from your post, because her body is going through wonky changes so I screenshotted your answer to show her how it can just HAPPEN without the signs you think should be there so thank you!! @blueeyedrose86
  • Options
    Seriously, what the what??
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• Options
    Your the one who made an account and dragged up a dead post to call a "bully" out who btw was enforcing the rules of the community. Idk about you but following rules in a community isn't being a bully. 
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    @sarahcastilloabc
    netflix GIF by The Umbrella Academy

Seriously!?!?  What is with people?  Is the full moon coming?  I mean, creating a NEW account just to drag up a post from 2015, that then was posted on again as a zombie post half a year ago!!!!  Besides me, how many people have even been around on this board since 2015!?!?  Give it a break man...

the walking dead smile GIF

*TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Options
    This is a great update! I wondered how it turned out
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"