3rd Trimester
Options

People's Reactions to my name choice

My husband and I have decided that we are going to name our baby boy Walter. We both love the name and it is also a family name from his side. However, some family and friends have expressed that they don't like our name choice and keep trying to get us to change our minds. They say it's a dumb and outdated name and that our child will be bullied if we name him Walter. We know it's not a common name anymore but we really love it. I just don't know how to deal with or respond to peoples rude comments. Any suggestions?

Re: People's Reactions to my name choice

• Options
    Not everyone loves the name that my husband and I picked, specifically his mother.... anyways, we both went into the naming process understanding that this is our decision and no one else's. We are both a little older and really don't care what other people think.  We LOVE the name we picked, the people who have issues with it can deal with it. They (his mother) had their opportunity to name their (her) kids, we get to decide on ours. 

If you can't withstand the pressure, don't share the information.  Don't bring it up again, and if others bring it up say to them that it isn't a discussion for anyone but you and your SO

Unless the name is going to hinder the bond between important people and this baby, in the end, when you name that beautiful baby, it is going to be a non issue.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tell them that your choice isn't up for discussion. Also, stop telling people the name. That just opens the opinion floodgates. For the record, I don't see anything wrong with the name Walter. It's a classic.
  • Options
    This is why I'm not telling anyone the name... 

Besides once they associate the name with your sweet baby, they'll learn to love it.
  • Options
    Aw that's a sweet name❤️ I love it!
  • Options
    Walter is awesome!

• Options
    Walter is a great name. Bravo on your excellent name choice.
  • Options
    I say name him whatever feels right to you.
    My SIL doesn't like the first name middle name combo we chose because "it doesn't go together" however the middle name was chosen in honor of their sister who passed away. I told her we didn't care if she doesn't think it goes together or doesn't like it we absolutely LOVE her name and aren't going to change it. Besides she's the only one who doesn't like the combo.
  • Options
    Not their child, not their choice.

I like the PP who said "You're being rude."  Love that response.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My husband and I have decided that we are going to name our baby boy Walter. We both love the name and it is also a family name from his side. However, some family and friends have expressed that they don't like our name choice and keep trying to get us to change our minds. They say it's a dumb and outdated name and that our child will be bullied if we name him Walter. We know it's not a common name anymore but we really love it. I just don't know how to deal with or respond to peoples rude comments. Any suggestions?

I'd say not their baby so not their choice.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Its a great name. Stand proud!
  • Options
    This is what I have said to people trying to my us change the picked name of our LO. While looking them straight in the eye I say " it's such a relief that you object to the name so much, just means you won't be using it" :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We have a name picked out that has gotten So Much negative response. Id say 90 %... But we LOVE IT and have made peace with it. I always just smile and say " well, you'll get used to it"

In my opinion, Walter is great. Timeless.
  • Options
    kedbachkedbach member
    He's your sweet baby! Forget what others have to say! My husband and I haven't really told people our name choices. My mom knows and his mom knows, as well as some of my close friends, but other than that- we haven't told anyone! I hate hearing others' opinions. You have to be okay with the name you call your son, and no one's opinions should matter.
  • Options
    My favorite response is "Well I guess it's a good thing this isn't your baby..."
  • Options
    We haven't told anyone the name we picked out either due to peoples proclivity to immediately have an opinion. We spelt her name out in scrabble tiles and will give them to family n friends to play with while they're in the waiting room. They only have 11 more days to wait (scheduled-C), we hope they love it.

I love the name Walter and am happy to here it's not one of those new "trendy" names. Even if it was, it's your baby :) Babies need good strong names that mean something. Good luck!
  • Options
    DH side didn't care for DS name when we first announced it, but now they've grown use to it and accept it. Bottom line, if you both love it don't let anyone change your mind. I couldn't imagine calling my son something else.

Good luck, they'll come around.
  • Options
    My family loves the name we chose for DS, but a select few of DH's co-workers have been trying to get us to change the name. They want us to not use Liam as a nickname for William (and instead use Will). They want us to rename him entirely so that he is named after DH and officially "the fourth" to be named that name.

We chose the first and middle name for a reason. The first name is my DH's and FIL's middle name, and my dad's first name. This is my dad's first grandson. We chose the middle name to honor my late brother who died in 2011. So I've told DH that they can talk all they want about us changing DS name, but it will continue to fall on deaf ears.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's a solid name. I like "old" names personally and could not care less if they are "outdated" ... With names like Henry, Finn an Oliver coming back, I would not say your child will get made fun of!

I wasn't going to share our name with anyone I know bc I will take it personally if they don't like it and I don't want to change my mind. People will deal with it if you have already named them. They know they cannot change it. I accidentally slipped up and told my mom. She was polite but I could tell she didn't love it. Now it is totally growing on her. You have to do what you and your partner think is best!!
  • Options
    We had the same problem. If our baby turned out to be a boy his name would of Gabriel not one person in our family liked it they barely took to our daughter to be'sure name.
  • Options
    Ugh. Family can be so rude.

I love the name :)

I kind of have had a similar issue, but more dramatic... my Dad's name was James and he passed away just last year. I've always loved the name, but now I definitely plan to use it as thy first name, in memory of my Daddy.
    My husband likes the name and his father's name is also James... the problem is, he was a product of date rape. So mother in law ABSOLUTELY HATES that name. And it's a legitimate, ptsd related reason not to name our baby this. :/
    I Just can't seem to come to terms with the fact that my Dad's name won't live on, the one ive planned to be at least a middle name for my son my whole life! And it's a nice, classic name.

But his mother deserves to feel comfortable and see/visit/say her first grandson's name too. She's such a loving woman. Gah.
    Sad situation :(
  • Options
    I'm a young mom! I'll be having my baby at age 17. And me and my bf chose the name catelya Marie for our baby girl. My parents like and so does his but my grandparents and other family members are always degrading US for picking the name and saying our baby will be made fun of as well.... So all I did was tell them it's not,there baby and if they don't like our baby's name then I'm sorry for them. And they took it as being rude...... Did I over do it? Or was I in the right for taking up for the name we chose ?
  • Options
    brannon7 said:

I'm a young mom! I'll be having my baby at age 17. And me and my bf chose the name catelya Marie for our baby girl. My parents like and so does his but my grandparents and other family members are always degrading US for picking the name and saying our baby will be made fun of as well.... So all I did was tell them it's not,there baby and if they don't like our baby's name then I'm sorry for them. And they took it as being rude...... Did I over do it? Or was I in the right for taking up for the name we chose ?

It sounds like they were rude in their disapproval of that.

That said, Catelya is a made up name, the spelling is awkward and confusing, not sure how you think that is supposed to be pronounced. It also appears to be very juvenile and will not age well.

Caitlin Maire would be a lovely name that will age well with your daughter.
  • Options
    I think you should name your baby whatever YOU want to name him or her. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. I'm not. There are tons of people that don't like the name I have choosen for my daughter. Adalaine Renee. Laney of Addy for short. I could care less what anyone else thinks. You shouldn't either!
  • Options
    brannon7 said:

Are you going for the flower name, like the orchid? I think it's spelled Cattleya...that might help you get the pronunciation you want. I would say Catelya as "Kate-lie-ah," which is admittedly a little awkward sounding.

Sorry your grandparents were rude about it. That's why we made it a point not to share our name choices with anyone.
  • Options
    Ashuhleex said:

I think you should name your baby whatever YOU want to name him or her. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. I'm not. There are tons of people that don't like the name I have choosen for my daughter. Adalaine Renee. Laney of Addy for short. I could care less what anyone else thinks. You shouldn't either!

Yeah, that's great and all, but you should be concerned with what other people think of your kid because of their name. Like it or not, people do make judgements based on names.
  • Options
    Walter is a great name! ❤️
  • Options
    I happen to love Walter!! I had a huge crush on a co worker named Walter, and my friend is named Walter... Hubby's fave uncle is named Walter as well. All very tall and handsome intelligent fellows and they suit their name fully. :) it is not outdated and is very cute as well as masculine to grow into.

The name we chose is very much disliked by many as well, as they see it as "dark" etc. At first it pissed me right off.. I couldn't care less anymore. It is YOUR child. Not theirs. Please use the name you feel is right! F what ppl think.
  • Options

U should just say ur glad that he is ur son and not theirs lol ... That's what I tell people when they don't like my choice for my daughters name which is Pia
  • Options
    I was discussing names with my step mom and she was brutal when I told her my favourite name. Made a horrible face and kept repeating the name with disgust. I just looked at her and said guess what not your child to name and by the way I don't like any of the names you chose for your kids. Probably bitchier than I need to be but the woman drives me crazy at the best of times. If you love the name and your husband loves it don't listen to anyone else's opinions.
  • Options
    Walter is NMS but there is nothing wrong with it. It is a real name, spelled corectly, for the correct sex. Not much more than you can ask for.
  • Options
    ElecinElecin member
    Oh puhleeeese.  Ignore those haters.  Who cares if they think it's outdated.  'Outdated' = Classic.  :)
  • Options

I made the mistake of listening to other people with my first son's name 13 years ago... I was fortunately blessed with my 2nd son and named him the name I should of named my 1st son.   Do what YOU guys want, don't have regrets.

• Options
    MariahOBrienMariahOBrien member
    edited June 2015
    Basically, I LOVE the name Walter for one of two reasons. 1) It's timeless and elegant. 2) It's Rainn Wilson's son's name, and I am forever in love with Dwight Schrute.

(Edited for clarity) :)
  • Options
    I have no advice for dealing with stupid people, but I would like to chime in that I love the name Walter. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Elysia21 said:

I happen to love Walter!! I had a huge crush on a co worker named Walter, and my friend is named Walter... Hubby's fave uncle is named Walter as well. All very tall and handsome intelligent fellows and they suit their name fully. :) it is not outdated and is very cute as well as masculine to grow into.

The name we chose is very much disliked by many as well, as they see it as "dark" etc. At first it pissed me right off.. I couldn't care less anymore. It is YOUR child. Not theirs. Please use the name you feel is right! F what ppl think.

@Elysia21... I hope you don't mind me asking, you can tell me to mind my own business if you want to, but I was just wondering what name you have chosen? Because originally we had a name picked out and everyone said the same thing.. It's "Dark" and an inappropriate name...it's definitely unliked by family members. We did eventually decided against it, but it was our first pick for a bit. It infuriated me that so many people had opinions and were so negative about it, it's my baby and I will name it whatever I please! Anyway, LOL got a little off topic there... sorry.
  • Options
    My nephew's name is Walter. It took me off guard when they first told me his name, but he grew into the name very quickly.