February 2015 Moms

Lots of spit up & drool

My 11 week old baby has been drooling tons and and for the past 5 days or so has been spitting up clear liquid. He's exclusively BF. I feel that this is all normal but my husband and MIL are convinced it's not. My MIL insists that he has acid reflux and heart burn and that his drool is "acidic". She's only seen him fuss a few times (during his nighttime fussy period) and links the two together. So irritating for me that they don't trust my judgement. I actually think he's starting to teethe because he sucks on his fists a lot too and had a random diaper rash a couple days ago but my husband thinks I'm crazy. Any other moms experiencing this? Please tell me I'm not crazy!

Re: Lots of spit up & drool

• Not so much with the spit up, but my 10 week old has been drooling like crazy and is always putting his little fists up to his mouth. The fussy period is completely normal as well (5:30 - 7:30 or so for us). I don't believe you are crazy!!
  • My 9 week old spits up A LOT! And is already a drool monster and is also very obsessed with putting her fits in her hands. Or anything really. She also has a fussy time in the evening. I was told its teething and normal amount for spit up, although my first didn't spit up as much and definitely never started teething this early.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited April 2015
    My little guy is doing the EXACT same! The doctor said that he is probably teething soon. When the drool increases it means teeth are most Likely on the way!
  • More drool is definitely a sign of teething, once I noticed the changes ( drooling, fussiness, her chewing on her hand for comfort) I gave her my finger to suck on and felt a little hard spot on her top gums.
  • Thank you all for the responses! So glad that we aren't the only ones experiencing this!! Our doc said that teething is totally possible and though acid reflux is not ruled out, it's unlikely. Now we are just dealing with a lot of gas the past 2 evenings :(.
  • GuruncGurunc member
    My 11 week does the same. Drool is absolutely normal. Gas could be because of what you eat as that goes to your lo via milk. I quit dairy and saw a huge difference. Lactation consultant said because of their small stomach, it gets hard for them to digest, avoid dairy, orange, pineapple, bread(quinoa is ok)...harder to digest & beans, broccoli which are gassy vegetables. I eat a lot of greens and fruits and anything protein
  • moonlytmikomoonlytmiko member
    edited May 2015
    Pretty normal. My baby do this too! So dont worry. Although my 1st born doesnt drool but my 2nd now! Drool so much too! And shes just turned 3months! And also sucking her fist. All the time…