Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Hi, I'm new! Why are you here?

Hello,

I've spent a week or more lurking these forums. Today I replied and asked questions. And I mostly just read some more. And here's what I gathered:

I still have a lot of Lingo to learn.
You all are very knowledgeable.
And you're FREAKING me out.

Why are you here?

I'm here because I'm TTC my first. I'm anxious and excited. So, naturally, I want to know everything there is to know and have people to talk to and learn from...and confide in when necessary, or when I am feeling uncertain about this new and exciting time.

All of that being said...the FF, BBT, Drugs (like Clomid which from what I just read on here is a serious thing that can give you 8 kids or tumors), is all really overwhelming.

I'm going to spend the next 2 weeks having sex every other day, if not daily, and hope that I O and conceive. Because I am irregular and don't have a chart yet (aside from 6 weeks of logging when I had sex and when I had AF.)

All I think about is "will this work?" "will it be easy?" You can probably see why some of these forums are scary to a newbie!!

Re: Hi, I'm new! Why are you here?

• Options
    Hi! Welcome.

I'm here because initially I lurked to answer questions while DH and I were in our NTNP (not trying, not preventing phase), and then I loved the ladies here and joined. Ultimately it's nice to have a place to talk about TTC that doesn't out pressure on my husband. He has no desire to hear about my CM (cervical mucus) or my chart.
  • Options
    Daybird11SixDaybird11Six member
    edited April 2015
    It will make a lot of sense with a little time, and you'll be spouting off all of this information like you've known it all along, too. I highly recommend temping and using the Fertility Friend app.

Edited to answer your question (sorry, busy and got distracted before posting): I am here for the same reasons 27alex said. I like having people to talk to about things bc we haven't told very many people.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hello there! I am here ttc #1. I have learned so much on this board. Now I enjoy being here because it's fun getting to know these ladies and it's nice to have others to commiserate with. This is a wonderful community! Best of luck to you!
    Me:27 DH:27
    Married: May 2013
    TTC#1 since Nov 2014
    MC June 2015
    MC January 2016
    Compound Hetero MTHFR Gene Mutation
  • Options
    I'm TTC #1 in June. I got on here because I want to be as prepared as possible. I have PCOS and therefore I'm not regular at all. Welcome!
    Me: 28, DH: 28
    Diagnosed with PCOS: Summer 2007
    Married: July 2013
    Began TTC: June 2015

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/58d258

• Options
    Thanks! I have decided that I'm going to get a thermometer. Though I can't be the only one who INITIALLy finds this silly, right?

And while my husband is one million percent on board, he's going to see this sucker on my nightstand and seriously LOL. And then prob have sex with me after he laughs at me. Did you all start doing this temping right away?

Is the Free version of FF okay to use? How often do you use OPKS if you use them?

And I just lurked on someone's chart. Charts do look fun! Some of us could become BFFs. Anyone else have irregular cycles? (AF always comes; she just shows up with no invite whenever she feels like it between 25 and 37 days like she owns the joint. Smh)

I'm on cycle day 10. Anyone else? Anybody? Bueller??
  • Options
    Hello and welcome! I started temping my first cycle, gave up, but was successful in making a chart with solid crosshairs this cycle. Yippee! I also have irregular cycles due to my pcos, so I'm looking forward to knowing when I can expect AF. I start using OPKs around cd 10 and my cycles average 32 days.
    Me: 31 DH: 30
    Married since 8/2013
    TTC #1 since 3/2015
  • Options
    Do you use them everyday from cycle day 10 until AF?
  • Options
    @Mel21409 Nope, I stop using them after they turn negative.
    Married since 8/2013
    TTC #1 since 3/2015
  • Options
    Mel90412Mel90412 member
    edited April 2015
    P.S. tell me more about these cross hairs. What are you looking for exactly? High temp on same days each cycle?
  • Options
    Mel90412Mel90412 member
    edited April 2015

Okay, so you start at 10, keep going until they show the surge and then stop? sorry for the ill informed questions. I know it's only a matter of time before someone says I need to go read a book. I'll put that on the nightstand by the new thermometer.
  • Options
    @Mel21409 Fertility Friend has tutorial videos that are really helpful and explain everything. But the crosshairs appear after 3 consecutive temp rises(or elevated temps), if I'm not mistaken. The crosshairs tell you when you've ovulated, but don't appear until after you've ovulated.
    Married since 8/2013
    TTC #1 since 3/2015
  • Options
    I'm ttc #1. On my first cycle. Came to this board a few weeks ago for information and just like you, felt a bit overwhelmed. I'm a newbie and the day I lurked and started reading about bbt and FF, I ran out to get a bbt! It was a bit daunting at first to take my temp every morning, but it's really addictive and exciting when you find out when you ovulated. This month we timed sex just off calendar and CM alone as I was getting the hang of things; turns out according to my chart on FF this month, we missed the mark by 6 days this first cycle *shakes fist* ...but i am so thankful I am understanding how this whole charting and tracking works.

You will probably get use to temping after a week, it really gets addictive! I also found watching "The Great Sperm Race" on youtube as another post suggested was really educational about how tough those little swimmers have it!

Good luck and Welcome!

My Chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/5a0da2

TTC: April 2015

Married: 2013

• Options
    Ahh, got it. Thanks! Stupid question, but if your Temps rise doesn't that mean O has already happened? So this temping is only useful if you're regular, right? Or I'm missing something? I'll join the FF but since I don't check my CM or have BBT thermometer yet, I guess I won't be able to actively chart anything?
  • Options
    Mel21409 said:

Okay, so you start at 10, keep going until they show the surge and then stop? sorry for the ill informed questions. I know it's only a matter of time before someone says I need to go read a book. I'll put that on the nightstand by the new thermometer.
    Don't worry about it. If I were you I'd start using OPKs on cycle day 8 because you've had cycles as short as 25 days. Definitely watch the Fertility Friend tutorials and the book everyone recommends is called Taking Chargw of Your Fertility by Toni W

Married since 8/2013
    TTC #1 since 3/2015
  • Options
    mikaela20 said:

I'm ttc #1. On my first cycle. Came to this board a few weeks ago for information and just like you, felt a bit overwhelmed. I'm a newbie and the day I lurked and started reading about bbt and FF, I ran out to get a bbt! It was a bit daunting at first to take my temp every morning, but it's really addictive and exciting when you find out when you ovulated. This month we timed sex just off calendar and CM alone as I was getting the hang of things; turns out according to my chart on FF this month, we missed the mark by 6 days this first cycle *shakes fist* ...but i am so thankful I am understanding how this whole charting and tracking works.

You will probably get use to temping after a week, it really gets addictive! I also found watching "The Great Sperm Race" on youtube as another post suggested was really educational about how tough those little swimmers have it!

Good luck and Welcome!

Thanks!!!! Let's KIT since we're both newbies! I'm 30 and DH is 35. And I'm going to watch that YouTube video right now!!
  • Options
    You all are awesome. Internet high fives!
  • Options
    @Mel21409 I'm 30 and DH 35 too :)

My Chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/5a0da2

TTC: April 2015

Married: 2013

• Options
    Im 30 and TTC take home baby # 3. I was really fortunate with DS 1 & 2. This time is proving to be more on the long haul side of TTC. I just started temping this cycle also.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Mel21409 said:

Ahh, got it. Thanks! Stupid question, but if your Temps rise doesn't that mean O has already happened? So this temping is only useful if you're regular, right? Or I'm missing something? I'll join the FF but since I don't check my CM or have BBT thermometer yet, I guess I won't be able to actively chart anything?

I find temping to be more useful if you aren't regular. Once you've confirmed O (and that's the irregular part), then you know when to expect your period (more or less 14 days later, but as you get a few cycles under your belt, you'll learn your own luteal phase length). When you are irregular, there's no telling when you could ovulate, so temping helps confirm that you have had sex in your fertile window (if you are actively trying), and that you have in fact ovulated.
  • Options
    I was a long time lurker when I was TTC and pregnant with #1.

Now that I'm TTC #2 I decided to join in. These women are so smart and honest. I enjoy hearing their stories and I've learned so much.

Yes, at first temping seems a bit crazy. You don't have to temp if you don't want to. I didn't while TTC #1 for a while. I found it more stressful not to temp. I was always wondering when to expect my period. I wasted a ridiculous amount of money on pregnancy test. Now I know when I ovulate. It takes the guess work and anxiety out of it. If I ever mention to someone that I do it they think I'm nuts, and say "of course you do". I think most women here are more type A and really proactive about things. Sounds like you are too! Welcome aboard.
  • Options
    Welcome! I'm new on this board but was previous on The Bump on a different board.

I joined TTGP because last time we were TTC, I didn't talk to anyone and it took over 14 months. I ended up in a very dark, lonely place and stressed out all the time. Already from being here I've learned a lot & can feel the positive camaraderie. Giving support to others helps you personally through this time just as much as when you receive it.
    httpss-media-cache-ak0pinimgcom564x9c95d69c95d674dd5cf4fca6bd9d384e78e24bjpg
    LFAF February Siggy Challenge - "Favorite TV/Movie Couple"

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload26b89148c7b33ea94ce2d81113588d17jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadd47bf7ca05f00f6cf5bf636c32d9a75bjpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload8eecaf9159c3ef2d76474f4858e0ca7cjpg
    httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploada6e4cbc633a118da3abd087f7518f2c8jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadc77e51750c881e1e2ec7bd004e796cd3jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload54f663537b430163ad7fac1203ceb664jpg

Me: 28 | DH: 29
    DD: 10/17/13
    TTC#2 Actively: 10/14, NTNP: 01/14
    Left-Sided Hydrosalpinx (cause: genetic abnormality, TREATED 11/16)

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/396b04

• Options
    I started on The Bump for my first and loved the support from everyone. When we started trying for #2, it made sense for me to come back, again for the support and for the advice. DH has enough stress without me blathering about TTC and everything else at him. Mostly I lurk and that does it for me, but just having a place to go to ask questions is a huge support for me.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm here because the expression "it takes a village" is true. Parenting is hard from the moment you first think of your future children. So even though I've btdt, I come back each time. Temping is only critical to start of you have no aversion to bfns. If you would like to minimize your potential bfns.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options
    crogers19 said:

Im 30 and TTC take home baby # 3. I was really fortunate with DS 1 & 2. This time is proving to be more on the long haul side of TTC. I just started temping this cycle also.

\:D/ 31 & "casually" trying for #3 as well. We will get serious about timing & temping at the New Year.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    edited April 2015
    Not TTC til September but am starting to chart. I have baby rabies bad and need an outlet other than my husband who is sick of hearing about it and might think I'm crazy :)

Also, started on the knot and am now an old married hag over there. 

ETA: I heard of natural family planning through my sister, who is super-Catholic, and has been using it both for contraception and conception for the 14 years she's been married. She messed up at first though and got pregnant on her honeymoon, so I want to make sure I don't do the same :P but otherwise, no mess ups, and it was helpful when she was trying to conceive for the second time and kept having miscarriages- it was a simple low progesterone issue and once that was solved, she had a healthy baby girl, then two more kids with no problems. 
  • Options
    I'm new here & trying to conceive my first, as well. I have similar doubts of if it takes a long time, etc, but I try to remember that we'll cross that bridge if/when we get there.
    I highly recommend temping. It does seem like a pain at first, but the information you get from it is so helpful! I'm also a fan of charts and data, so in general it's interesting to me. :) 
  • Options
    I am thinking temping could be fun and addictive. I watched the great sperm race and it was AWESOME!
  • Options
    I'm here because I needed to hear things from people who know what TTC is like, not many people I know can help with that and it's pretty off putting :/

I'm working on my numero uno also. It's the most exciting and nerve wrecking thing I've done!

Welcome! x <3
    Me (22) & Steve (23)
    Furbabies: Samsung and Greystache
    Engaged since Feb 2014
    DX: PCOS Feb 2013
    Lap for suspected endo: August 2014 - nothing found
    Metformin 500mg - attempting to lose a few kgs

• Options
    Jags8Jags8 member
    edited April 2015
    Hello and welcome!

I'm here because I was very active on The Knot (under a different sn) when I was engaged, so it made sense to come here when we decided to TTC. We have been trying for take-home baby #1 for just under a year.

I initially lurked and learned and asked questions. Now I feel I have become very knowledgable and like to share that info with others who are new to TTC (or don't know the magic of charting).

I started charting right away last May. My mom is the one who first told me about it. DH thought it was weird for like the first week, and now it's completely normal. Since I have ovulated anywhere from CD18-26, I start using OPKs on CD16 once a day.
  • Options
    Hi! 

I'm here because I was a complete goober at conceiving even though I teach biology (womp womp). I came here, specifically, because I had been on theKnot community boards sporadically during our wedding planning, but didn't think I'd be as active as I currently am. I knew the basics (ovulation "typically" occurrs midway through cycle, sperm can live for up to 5 days kind of stuff) but had no idea about temping, CM, and barely understood the science behind OPKs (which hormones are surging when and what they do) so I have learned a great deal about my body through this community and the help of the highly recommended book Taking Charge of Your Fertility (maybe you've heard of it). 

DH and I were married August 2014, have been together almost 5 years total and are trying for #1. It's proving a little bit lot harder than I anticipated and we, of course, have our own obstacles to overcome - the support from this community has been tremendous. Hoping to be pregnant by the end of summer. 

It IS really overwhelming at first when you realize everything you've been told about sex and babies is at least partially untrue in some respect, however, once you get started with temping and charting, it actually soothes your soul (so to speak). Since you've been lurking I'm sure you know that you have a 20% shot in any cycle and it's normal for a healthy couple to take up to a year to conceive. 

Good luck on your journey :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Options
    That whole 20% statistic is wild, right? I probably would have started sooner had I been aware! I am concerned with sex becoming a chore....and I NEVER thought I'd say that!

I'm on CD 11 and we're trying daily this month. It's off putting to think that it could take many many many more months.

I'm assuming some on here have tried daily for months, or at least every other day, and are still trying?
  • Options
    I am new here myself! 26 and DH is 27. We are ttc#1 just starting this cycle. Temping this cycle, and am also a bit addicted to charts and data, so I'm finding it fun! Here to find out as much info from everyone as possible! My internal worrisome self is concerned that it may take longer than we are hoping, but just trying to stay positive and have fun
  • Options
    Hello and welcome,

I am fairly new to the board but ttc for 13 months. I'm 29 and DH just turned 33. Married for 3 years this August. Saw a RE after 8 months of TTC because my periods became irregular. Turns out I have endometriosis, and low Amh. I tried without any additional measures for a year. This month I tried iui medicated cycle and we're hoping it works. (Still waiting)

This board is very helpful in providing facts and feedback that based in science it's nice to have such lovely ladies around. Good luck and welcome !!!!!! :) glad to have you.
  • Options
    Hello there! I am new also.

I am here bc I would like to have some people to share the ttc experience with. I don't have anyone left in my real life friends that are still having babies. It nice to have other people that are excited about ttc.

Good luck to you!
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• Options
    Hello and welcome!

I'm here because we are ttc#1. We got married in January of this year after being together for 8 years.

Ttc IS a wild ride... I like this board because these ladies keep it real. And I need that, when I am feeling like I may want to symptom spot or something of the sort, I think of the board, and what they might say and immediately get my head outta the clouds.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Options
    Hi and welcome!

I have been a lurker for awhile, and first came here because I was on the Knot when I was engaged and my husband and I have been planning when to start my family, so I started doing research and this looked like a great starting point.   My husband and I are planning on TTC around our first wedding anniversary in September.  I have learned so much from lurking! I just received Taking Charge of Your Fertility  in the mail yesterday and am excited to read and learn what the book has to offer. I will be going of BCP in May and will begin charting then, so I learn what my body does before we actively start TTC.  I like this board because it is informational yet there is a sense of humor on many of the posts.

Welcome and good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Welcome,
    I am here because out of other boards I looked at and stalked such as two week wait. This was by far the most informative. Ladies here know a ton of information. I'm hoping to learn more from this board.
  • Options
    I am here because I love women's health and I will be TTC #3 at some point. I love chart stalking and everything.
    to OP, you can do as little or as much as you want. However, with out fulling charting, we/you really won't know if you ovulated or when to expect your period. Some just check their CM or use OPK, this shows you that you are fertile or not (gearing up to O), taking your temp will confirm ovulation.
    You can also check cervix, which also I'd a secondary sign.

Totally up to you.
  • Options
    I'm here because I'm transitioning to being back on the board, lol. We are TTC again after one take home baby and one loss. I'm also here because we are keeping this private until the first trimester is over, or at least until the first ultrasound..
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker