Cloth Diapering

Cloth wipes

I am fairly new to cloth and wanted to find out more about wipes.

I cut up old tshirts to make into wipes and they looked great- once we washed them, they rolled up.  I will try to make them larger this time.  Any DIY wipes suggestions that (preferably) require no sewing?

I also wanted to ask about wipes solution.   Do you suggest a spray solution recipe or pre-made solution?  I plan on using water to start, but would like to have a spray solution available instead of using disposable. 

Thanks for any suggestions. Looking for ideas as I navigate our start of cloth.

Re: Cloth wipes

• I use cheap washcloths that I got at Walmart. I cut them into smaller squares (4 out of 1 cloth) and sewed seam binding on the raw edges. I know you preferred "no sew" so you wouldn't have to cut them smaller if didn't want too.

As for the wipe solution, I just use plain water in a spray bottle and wet wipes as I go.
  • I cut up old tshirts with pinking shears. I found the thicker shirts didn't roll at all. I also have some cheap baby washcloths (because I had a ton, so I dedicated one pattern to bums), and I sewed some cute double sided wipes for the diaper bag, but the tshirts work best.

I tried a few premade solutions, but didn't like the scents or cost. I used sheepish grins washy wafers in the end (little soap chips you dissolve in warm water to make a bottle), they smelled delicious. I liked having soap spray so I could wash her hands with it too. At home we just wet wipes as needed with warm tap water to be more comfortable for her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Tshirts work well but they need to be thicker. If you want soft no sew you can buy fleece and just cut it to the size you want. If you're not sure which type to get so you don't have to see you can ask the ladies at the cutting counter like at joanns and they'll point you in the right direction. Also bamboo French terry usually doesn't need to be seen either just cut and use :D
  • I bought a bunch of baby wash cloths for my stash. They're different colors from his actual wash cloths of course.

Married 4/13/13

Loss at 6 weeks 5/4/2013

Loss at 9 weeks 12/2013

Healthy baby boy 7/12/15

Due 1/6/18

• DrD30DrD30 member
    We use baby wash cloths and some that were a part of my hand-me-down cloth diaper stash.  We loved them so much we ordered some from Amazon that were super cheap.  We dampen our with warm water and keep them in the Prince Lionheart wipes warmer.  It's working great so far.
  • Not no-sew but very simple (I'm the worst with a sewing machine and managed). I got an old flannelette sheet and cut that up, sewed 2 pieces together, some I did flannelette one side and terry cloth the other for those extra sticky poos. Just do a basic see around the outside leaving a gap, turn the other way so seam is inside and quick sew over the gap. If you wanted thinner you could just use the 1 piece of flannelette but might need to zig zag the edge to prevent fraying.

I just use water on my wipes, sometimes add a little warmed up coconut oil if I want a little something extra. Mine are stored rolled up in a couple of wipes container a friend gave me from her disposable wipes, I add water in the morning to moisten so they're ready for the rest of the day. If it's winter fill a thermos with hot water from the kettle to keep warm through the night and pour a little over dry cloth wipes as needed so they're nice and warm for Bub.
  • CanadaMom17CanadaMom17 member
    edited July 2015
    I just use wash cloths (again different colours than bath time ones).  I made homemade diaper spray from this site, and lo's bum stays clean & rash free.  Her recipe uses paper towel as the 'wipe'.   Do note on another post she advises leaving out the olive/almond oil and essential oils if you are cloth diapering in case of oil build up on your diapers.  I just make the mixture, and put it in a squirt bottle, squirt it on a wash cloth, and use that.