Babies: 0 - 3 Months

paying for their shit (diapers)

How much did moms spend in the first 3 months on diapers? DH plans on taking a well paying out of state job after delivery for a few months, so I was going to take my maternity leave and let him rake in cash for a little bit. Meaning time to stock up on the essentials.

While we're on the subject is there anything else I should stock up on? Ftm in the beginning of my research stage. Clothes, diapers, blankets, sleeping necessities noted.

Re: paying for their shit (diapers)

• This is your first?

We had a daddy diaper party for our first so we had received tons of different brands and sizes to try. During the day we use walmart ($20 a box) and at night we use target ($28 a box)

My suggestion is to put the amount of money aside in a savings. You are going to find that your baby may be sensitive to certain products so you don't want to stock up on something just in case. I have found that if you are breast feeding (or going to try) I would get a good amount of breast pads (reusable are nice to have...will save you some money) and also breast milk bags. If breastfeeding is your thing then lanolin cream too.

Really if you google checklist for first time moms or go on the baby tab up top here you will find suggestions of what you will need. There are just so many good things out there you will want to look into what you feel you will want/need and what is a waste of money.

https://www.ourfreakingbudget.com/the-cost-of-diapers/

• I got a lot of diapers at the shower so so far about 35 bucks. Btw I love the way you titled this post lol
  • Loading the player...
  • vpinevpine member
    Depends on brand - we used Huggies at first and they leaked so Parents Choice (inexpensive brand from Walmart) has worked out way better for us, $5.97 for 42 (newborn size). I have twins - each uses 8-10 diapers a day. Stock up on receiving blankets !
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Rather than stocking up on diapers I would put aside money each week for diapers which you can purchase once you know what will work for your LO. My first one could only use pampers or wegmans brand. I assumed my second would be the same and bought a ton in advance only to learn they didn't work at all for his shape. He can only use LUVs. For our third I have been setting aside money each week and will purchase small packages until I learn what he or she will have the best luck with.

• I've tried every brand of diapers too - the ones we had planned on using weren't right for our daughter. Not sure how much we've spent though.

I recommend getting plenty of Vaseline to use in place of Desitin. I was using Desitin and it was making the rash worse. Vaseline is a miracle worker.

Also - you can never have enough wipes!!!
  • aprilk86aprilk86 member
    edited April 2015
    Sensitive skin laundry detergent and sensitive wipes. Don't get too many diapers till you find what works best and still not many so they don't get out grown. Bath supplies and lotion seem to last awhile. If you breastfeed lots of easy healthy snacks cuz eating isn't easy when they cluster feed :-)
  • I've been using cloth diapers. Over all, it was a $300 investment. However I know I can use them until my son is potty trained! It's definitely a challenge and there is so much to learn. If any one is interested, DirtyDiaperLaundry is an amazing resource to get into cloth diapering.
  • I spent a few hundred on cloth diapers up front with my first, and now I'm using them for #2 (I bought a few more, my first is still wearing diapers some). Cloth is the way to go, man. We started with my first after 2 months of constantly buying disposables. It seemed to never stop!

• I hated cloth. I spent and wasted over $300 on those stupid things. Disposables all the way! At 12 months he goes through 6 a day which is really only $40 a month.