June 2015 Moms
Options

NPR - what are you reading right now?

Decided to start this thread because, as most of the regulars know by now, I'm going to school to be a librarian and am a HUGE bookworm - so I wanted to see if anyone's reading anything interesting! Have any recommendations? Or did you read something you hated? Post it here! :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NPR - what are you reading right now?

• Options
    I sadly have very little time to read for fun right now but in the little time that I do have I'm rereading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. If you haven't read it, it's about this woman from WWII era who time travels to the 18th century Scottish highlands. There's lots of sex and violence. It's delicious to read and it's one of my all time favorite books! Also there's a tv series based on the books on Starz but I have yet to watch it.

The one good thing about having so much to read for school is that one of my classes is Resources for Young Adults so a lot of the books I read for that are books I'd want to read anyway. Right now I'm reading The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls - it's fascinating!
  • Options
    Ooh, ooh! What a wonderful thread idea! I LOVE to read for 'fun'. I say fun cause that's what other people call it, but for me, I just like it so much I truly almost need it!

I'm reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I have read it before, but its so darn good I am reading it again. Its your typical fantasy epic - the Dark One is trying to take over the world and kill it and your reluctant hero is spun out of fate by the forces for good to face his destiny and the Dark One for the fate of the world. Its a really long series (14 books!) but its got everything in it I like - super interesting and relatable characters, philosophies that are worth adapting into my own life ("Death is light as a feather. Duty, as heavy as a mountain"), nobility of spirit, honor... One of the potential names for LO actually came from a character in this series. I've been reading it aloud to LO anytime I am home alone (just in case it's a boy and DH relents on using the name, lol)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mellymar said:

Ooh, ooh! What a wonderful thread idea! I LOVE to read for 'fun'. I say fun cause that's what other people call it, but for me, I just like it so much I truly almost need it!

I'm reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I have read it before, but its so darn good I am reading it again. Its your typical fantasy epic - the Dark One is trying to take over the world and kill it and your reluctant hero is spun out of fate by the forces for good to face his destiny and the Dark One for the fate of the world. Its a really long series (14 books!) but its got everything in it I like - super interesting and relatable characters, philosophies that are worth adapting into my own life ("Death is light as a feather. Duty, as heavy as a mountain"), nobility of spirit, honor... One of the potential names for LO actually came from a character in this series. I've been reading it aloud to LO anytime I am home alone (just in case it's a boy and DH relents on using the name, lol)

That sounds really good!! I love long series - putting it on my "to read after graduation" list so I'll be able to fully appreciate it :)
  • Options
    I just bought Dark Places by Gillian Welch. I'm hoping I'll be able to sleep at night!
  • Options
    @karaelaine1991 its really, really good. You won't be disappointed. The characters really grow and you grow with them. When I found myself using the swear words / phrases they use in the books in actual real life... I'm hooked. >:D<
  • Options
    I am terrible... My only fun reading is internet randomness and the bump... I am a TV person all the way.... So my biggest reading is children's stories to DS at bedtime .... I know a lot about trucks and woodland creatures :)
  • Options
    ElRuby said:

I am terrible... My only fun reading is internet randomness and the bump... I am a TV person all the way.... So my biggest reading is children's stories to DS at bedtime .... I know a lot about trucks and woodland creatures :)

It's not for everyone :) that's awesome that you're reading to DS though!
  • Options

ElRuby said:

It's not for everyone :) that's awesome that you're reading to DS though!
    Yes... Of course I don't want to pass down my preference for TV over books... Ironically I am a total academic nerd and loved school and read every assigned reading and then some... Now I am like "ain't nobody got time for that"! ... Unless it is some nerdy research article then maybe I have time for that :)
  • Options
    I am currently reading all of Ellen degeneres books :) because I need a good laugh.
  • Options
    I'm reading Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. Par of the Dresden Files series. I'm having a hard time with this one, if you've read the series, you know what I mean. But I'm only in the first quarter of it. It's a very good series and I've enjoyed it. There's still two or three left until I'm caught up and have to start waiting for new books, if there are more to come. 

R.A. Salvatore's got a bunch of new books from the Drizzt world out since the last one I read a couple of years ago. That's probably what I'll move on to after I get done with Harry Dresden.
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Options
    Working on two. 10 diseases that changed the world and S. King's, Revival.
  • Options
    I just finished "Girl on a Train." Super good. I also just downloaded a new one, but I forgot what it's called. LOL

~~~ EDD for Baby #2  6/28/15~~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I just finished "Girl on a Train." Super good. I also just downloaded a new one, but I forgot what it's called. LOL

I've been wanting to read that!! Again, I'm going to have to wait until after I graduate in August, but it looks soooo good! It's super popular right now, too, and I like to keep on top of the "it" books just because it's good for me professionally. I was at my internship a few weeks ago and a lady asked me to place a copy on hold and in our library system there were something like NINE HUNDRED requests for it - totally insane! Now, our system has like 200 copies of it so it's not like these people are going to be waiting for years and years to read, but still. It's crazy!
  • Options
    ElRuby said:

I have less desire to read right now too. It's hard to get into a book with DS running around saying, "mommy watch this" or "mommy help" etc. I've recently started the Womenly Art of Breast Feeding. Gripping, I know!
  • Options

Mine is pregnancy related! My husband is reading the Harry Potter series out loud to my bump (and me) to try and get our daughter used to his voice. I think it's working, because she will usually start moving once he starts reading. We are going to buy a set of the Harry Potter books copy written for this year (the year she's born) and give it to her when she's older. Love that series.

What a cute idea! I should bring it up to DH, we both love Harry Potter and while he's not a big reader, he might be open to this. Thanks for sharing! :) 
  • Options
    Healthy sleep habits, happy baby.... I am not a reader, but I hear this is a good one! Hopefully it helps us to settle our little girl in when she arrives!
  • Options
    I'm currently reading Bringing Up Bebe. It's about an American woman discovering some of the differences in parenting between America and France. I just started, but it's pretty interesting!
    I've read a lot lately but nothing really worth recommending. My book club hasn't been the best at picking out awesome books lately. :/
  • Options

Mine is pregnancy related! My husband is reading the Harry Potter series out loud to my bump (and me) to try and get our daughter used to his voice. I think it's working, because she will usually start moving once he starts reading. We are going to buy a set of the Harry Potter books copy written for this year (the year she's born) and give it to her when she's older. Love that series.

This is so cute! We love Harry Potter here, too! We started reading it to my son when he was a few weeks old. My husband would read to us while I was nursing. I loved it!
  • Options
    KovakKovak member
    I am rereading the Harry Potter series. I read it while I was pregnant with DS also. Must be a pregnancy thing. Before that I was reading The Book Thief. It was good, just a little too heavy for my exhausted pregnancy brain. I'm also a big fan of the Drizzt series by RA Salvatore. I have a few books to read in the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz.
    I would suggest reading The Red Tent if you haven't. Very good read for women, although maybe not when so filled with crazy hormones.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion. They're really cute. Love stories written from a man's point of view. It's kinda like reading Sheldon Cooper narrate his love life lol.
  • Options

I sadly have very little time to read for fun right now but in the little time that I do have I'm rereading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. If you haven't read it, it's about this woman from WWII era who time travels to the 18th century Scottish highlands. There's lots of sex and violence. It's delicious to read and it's one of my all time favorite books! Also there's a tv series based on the books on Starz but I have yet to watch it.

The one good thing about having so much to read for school is that one of my classes is Resources for Young Adults so a lot of the books I read for that are books I'd want to read anyway. Right now I'm reading The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls - it's fascinating!

I love Outlander. I've read the whole series and she's even working on another book. I feel like Claire and Jaime are my friends. If anyone hasn't read it they are long, and she can be quite wordy, but her characters are wonderful.

I just read Lena Dunham's book Not that Kind of Girl. It was alright. If you like her show Girls on HBO you'd like it.

I also read a lot of YA because I'm a middle school reading teacher. I'm finishing The Westing Game by Raskin for a novel studies project with my students. Good but not great.

Ready Player One was probably the best book I've read this year. Dystopian future with an egg hunt, race feel with tons of 80's references. I enjoyed it.

• Options
    I love mindless reading! My D/H constantly makes fun of me because I usually read fiction.
    I just read This Man trilogy by Jodi Ellen Malpas. I became completed obsessed and started it over again! Lol
  • Options
    KovakKovak member
    Another series I really enjoy, and have read several times, are The Hitchhiker's Guide series. Very entertaining.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Ditto Dark Places and The Rosie Project/ Rosie Effect being great.

I'm almost done with Game of Thrones book 5, it's been a long journey. I'm excited to jump back to the modern age with Girl on a Train after that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, such an amazing book, pregnancy has opened up time for me to read more :)
  • Options
    I was an English major and used to read at least a book a month, even between work and grad school. But have not been able to read anything but pregnancy and parenting books since October. So mad at myself!! Finally just gave in and have been plowing through those types of books. It feels good to read again and satisfies my one true pregnancy "craving."

Though maybe I will stubbornly try Girl On A Train now... hmm...
  • Options
    I was a huge book worm before I started nursing school. Now I'm reading "concepts of pharmacology"
    It's a real freakin page turner.
  • Options
    Im reading Inferno by Dan Brown. His books always keep me in suspense. Love it! I also haven't had much time to read for fun in a long time because I was in College, but with this year off and being pregnant i'm really excited to start having time to read again before Med School in the Fall. 
  • Options
    I'm reading Girl On A Train. I also started Hyperbole and a Half hoping for some lighthearted humor, but all of the illustrations are getting on my nerves. I read her first book and thought it was funny...maybe this pregnancy has affected my sense of humor??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"