February 2015 Moms
Options

House bound

Lately I've been going a bit stir crazy and id like to get out of the house more with my LO, but she wants to eat all the time lately and I'm still not very comfortable with nursing in public. We've gone out a few times but still haven't ventured to the grocery store or normal daily errands. She's going to be 5 weeks on Monday. When did you mommas start bringing your newborns out into the world? And how was your experience

Re: House bound

• Options
    I totally understand about nursing in public! I still haven't figured out how to nurse without my whole boob out for all to see! I ventured out with my DD right around 4.5-5 weeks, and nursed her right before so I knew I had 2-3 hours of time. I met a friend for lunch at a restaurant with an open patio. It went well! I also went to a mommy and me breastfeeding class where I still got out of the house but was able to comfortably nurse when needed. Slowly but surely it'll get easier and more comfortable, I'm sure. I just need to figure out how to nurse discretely! Good luck with your outings!
  • Options
    I ventured out when she was about 2 weeks old. I bought a nursing cover that I absolutely LOVE that has allowed me to nurse her in public without fear of scowling looks. I would definitely recommend getting one off Amazon if you don't have one already. The trick to getting over the fear of feeding in public, I found, was to just whip it out and do it and not care about what other people look like, or say to you. However, I haven't received any scowling looks or had anyone say anything to me about feeding her while in public, probably because I use the nursing cover. But the key is to just do it. It's like getting over a fear heights by flying, or bungee jumping, you just pluck up the courage and just do it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second the nursing cover. They're light weight so not stuffy for you or baby and it adds a sense of security to the public feeding discretion. Also, I'd plan to start my errands right after a feeding session.
  • Options
    We managed to go to a restaurant with some friends after 10 days. It helped that one of my friends also has a baby and is very comfortable nursing in public, but I actually feel more and more comfortable about it myself. I'm like "my baby is hungry, who cares about what you think?".
    I found that H&M nursing tops used under a sweater were really good for NIP. But mostly, we try to time it so that we run errands right after she falls asleep.
  • Options
    I've been practicing nursing in a woven wrap at home. It has cover plus support. However, when we go out the snugness of her car seat and the car ride usually have her sleeping for a couple of hours.
  • Options
    kpjukpju member
    I agree with the nursing cover. The other way I do it is to wear a nursing tank with a shirt over.
    I can lift up the shirt and still be fully covered. Your baby will cover the small area that could be exposed. I agree with @stephanielberg, just be confident and no one will bother you!

It's good for both you and the baby to get out of the house. The more the babe is used to being out and about, the better they will do in the future (restaurants, sleeping anywhere, etc).
  • Options
    We were out the same day we got out if the hospital and haven't looked back! Nursing in public for me is easy with the cover haven't been bold enough to do it without, I don't know if I ever will. I applaud the mommas who do though!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"