2nd Trimester

Still sick at almost 18 weeks

Hi ladies!

I am a FTM and about 17.5 weeks along. After a really awfullll first trimester, I was so excited for the "magical" second trimester to arrive, when you suddenly no longer have any morning (or all-day) sickness, gain your appetite back, and get this sudden burst of energy. Or so all my pregnant peers said....

While overall I am feeling better and definitely have more of an appetite than before, I am still experiencing occasional nausea and vomiting, and headaches 1-3 times a week. I guess I am just wondering how common it is to still feel sick into your second (or even third) trimesters. My mother was sick for the first 5 months for all 5 of her pregnancies, and I've even heard some women say they were sick almost all 9 months. (EEK!)

Also, any tips for headache remedy or prevention? Tylenol doesn't do squat for my headaches and I really want to avoid any prescriptions if I can. When I do get them, I usually wake up with them first thing in the morning. I have been drinking plenty of water (80-100 oz a day), so I don't think dehydration has anything to do with it.

Thanks for reading :o)

Re: Still sick at almost 18 weeks

• It's normal. I knew of two women personally who were sick for the entire 9 months. There's a member here who is still sick well into her 3rd trimester. If Tylenol isn't working then talk to your doctor.
  • I puked everyday of my pregnancy with my second and was hospitalized 3 times due to it. Sick 1-3 times a week isn't abnormal at all .

• Loading the player...
  • @bbiutmcph OMG how awful...I'm so sorry! I couldn't imagine dealing with daily vomiting on top of having a child to care for already. Kudos to you!
  • I'm 29 weeks tomorrow (I still lurk in 2nd trimester) and I still take zofran once a day. My nausea and vomiting didn't ease up at all until almost 23 weeks :(. I pretty much have it under control with the once a day routine, but there are most definitely days that two doses are required. My doctor said I was one of the "lucky ones" who will probably be this way the rest of the pregnancy. I don't think it's super uncommon to be sick the whole way through, it just suuuuucks! And I also get the headaches which I haven't really been able to fight off. I wish I had a better answer for that one! Just think, you're almost halfway there!!
  • My best friend was sick the entire time with both of her pregnancies. She had to take medication for it because it was so bad. The whole time.
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Almost 37 weeks here, still sick! It never left, this is my third pregnancy, I didn't experience this with my first two. So I guess you just never know what your gonna get.
  • @taahira you were the one I was referring to lol. Was hoping you'd comment since I couldn't spell your name correctly to tag you :-??
  • Still daily vomiting and sickness at 27 weeks here! Prescription Diclegis works wonders, if I remember to take it!
  • During my last pregnancy I was sick the entire time, but it wasn't severe. I had headaches the entire time too, daily, but they usually weren't severe either. 

I'm 18 weeks tomorrow and there's no sign of nausea letting up. I'm on Diclegis which is extremely helpful but makes me really tired. Right now I'm taking two at night and one in the morning, and I'm considering trying a day without the morning dose to see how it goes (but every time I plan to do it I wuss out). 

Last pregnancy I found the second trimester to be extremely disappointing (with nausea, headaches and fatigue), and this pregnancy might be heading the same direction.
  • Gahhh!! I guess I don't really have much to complain about...

@taahira @iheartpancake @carlyclayton @hilarydluckett Hope you're all feeling better soon...and if not, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. (this is what I keep reminding myself)
  • I threw up until 37 weeks with DS1. I got on more Zantac at that point. For me, it likely was that I had become lactose intolerant. Because food was so unappealing, I would drink a glass of milk to fill up. What I was feeling was extreme acid reflux and then purging the dairy. I had no idea this was different than nausea, it felt the same. But, none of this really came together until it continued after I delivered. My point in sharing is to say a) it still might just go away. 18 weeks isn't outrageous, though it certainly isn't pleasant. b) Take a look at your diet. Are you getting enough protein? Fluids? Magnesium? Could your body have a new sensitivity? I get headaches from all three of those things that are easy to struggle with in the midst of not feeling well.

My other two pregnancies have been more reasonable with most of the throwing up ending at 16 weeks.
  • With my first, I was sick all day, everyday, the entire pregnancy! I was still throwing up while I was in labor! I did not experience headaches though. 

I am 18 weeks now with my second, and had headaches the first trimester, and was sick pretty much all day. Now, I still throw up daily, but it is usually only once, and when I first wake up. 
  • HaruhiChanHaruhiChan member
    edited April 2015
    34 weeks and still have days of morning sickness vomiting. I think someone played a cruel joke on us unfortunate ones who never stopped getting sick when they said it goes away lol

Hope yours settles down for you! Mine was super severe until 16-17 weeks where I couldn't even keep water down and I lost 15 lbs before it eased off. Even prescription nausea meds did not work for it.

ETA: didn't realize this is a somewhat older thread lol
  • Im 16 weeks with second child=) my first wasn't this bad ....but I have it bad ill go to the hospital and they dint do a thing....I dont knoe what else to do=( :((
  • I'm 23 weeks and had a horrible first 14 weeks. Since then, I've gone in and out of waves for vomiting, but am nausous periodically throughout the day.  I haven't vomited since Friday (Yay!).  I don't know if this is just another wave or if it is due to consciously eating 200-300 calories per meal and trying to eat every 2-3 hours. 
    For headaches, I take 500mg magnesium and 100mg Riboflavin (B2) daily as a preventative.  I told the drs when I started trying to conceive that I no longer wanted any prescription medications for migraines and this has been our compromise that has actually cut headaches down to a couple a month and migraines VERY seldom.
    Pregnancy definitely isn't as fun as I always dreamed!  I hope it does get better for you.
  • 00Pineapple0000Pineapple00 member
    edited April 2015

Hi! I completely understand what u goin
    through. Thought it would be easing up by now but it's still full
    blown....hope u start feeling better soon.