May 2015 Moms
Options

getting fed up with co-workers and others advice

This has probably been discussed before but recently it has been driving me insane. I know people are going to give their advice where it is not wanted or needed but my co worker who is in her 50s seems to think she knows everything about pregnancy and how my life with my child will be once she arrives. we have discussed women who didnt know they were pregnant before and she is just not buying that. she doesnt get how someone cant know they are pregnant and wants to know how I feel once the baby started moving and keeps moving. I just let that roll because I know someone who literally did not know she was pregnant. It happens. Every pregnancy is different. This was awhile back that we had talked about this when I first said I was pregnant, so the other day she looks at me and says remember when I said you would have to know. I said yes and she was like well then how could someone not feel the movements? your babys movements will just keep getting stronger. there is no way, blah blah blah. It is just really annoying when she seems to think that she knows my pregnancy down to a science, when I actually feel like I have had a very smooth pregnancy with few symptoms (knock on wood), but it really hasnt been that bad. She doesnt know me or how my pregnancy is or isnt or should be going. She just seems to know that I cant take my baby where I want or do the things that I want to because it will affect the baby. When she is 3-4 months old we will go to a tractor show which will be her first. This is a family tradition on my husbands side of the family so it is a big deal this year since it will be our little girls first year. It can be dusty since it is outdoors, but it normally isnt bad. My sinuses get screwed up at first because I have bad sinus and allergy problems. She is just so convinced that I shouldnt take my baby because it will affect her. Ummmm excuse me lady you have no idea how it will affect her for one and two I think I will know when to take her and not to. Its not like I will be letting her be exposed to something that will hurt her. They water the roads down anyways to control the dust so there normally is not a huge dust problem. I just brush her off most of the time when she starts to tell me what I should and shouldnt do or be feeling, etc etc but lately it is just driving me nuts. There is also a truck driver who comes in that seems to think he knows how I will be after the baby as well. He is a pessimist about it though. He keeps telling me my hormones will be messed up and it will never be the same again and this and that. I know things will be different and that it will be a new experience, but I dont need someone who is pretty much a stranger telling me how I will be when he has no clue. It's like the bump comes with a neon sign that says tell me your unwanted advice. 

Rant over...I feel better now haha Does anyone else have people like this or ever feel like that?

Re: getting fed up with co-workers and others advice

• Options
    Ugh! I know the feeling. I have a coworker she's in her 40s and has never had kids and never been married and she "just doesn't get the getting married and having kids in your 20s thing and giving up your life" as she puts it. Since the very beginning of my pregnancy she is like "you are eating again?! " yes and shut up it's always healthy snacks like fruit or nuts... Then knowing that I was basically addicted to diet Pepsi pre-pregnancy and that I completely gave it up she brings a can almost everyday to work and taunts me with it saying don't you wish you could have this or omg it's so so good! and now that I'm getting towards the end we sometimes have our clients come in and be like oh wow you are getting close? You must be so excited ? And when they leave she asks if I'm tired of people calling me fat yet... Umm no one has called me fat expect for you lady! And she's always making jokes about how I don't hAve a waistline anymore... I've kept my cool so far and just ignore her but I'm about to lose my mind! ... Wow it does feel better to let it all out :p
  • Options
    I feel for you @jgillis13 It's ridiculous how people act. One of my other co workers criticizes my food and drink choices all the time. its completely unnerving because that girl like your co worker has never had children before. I get the people who come in and ask oh my god you havent popped that kid out yet?! Ummmm no! I still have a couple more months left. my bump really isnt that large if you ask me haha so I think people are just crazy and rude sometimes. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stop talking to her about this kind of stuff.  It sounds like some of the frustration is coming from in-depth conversations, and if I were you, I would just stop providing her with this information and keep your conversations away from those topics.  

Whenever those things come up with her or the others, just change the topic with something generic ala "Well, Mr. Truck Driver, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.  So do you have any fun plans for the weekend?"
  • Options
    You guys need to just stop talking to these people about this stuff, or if they bring it up just let it roll off you. I know it's annoying, but the unsolicited advice just continues as your baby grows. Do what's best for you and your baby.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    No matter what there is always some one that will be judging you who probably even did worst then you.. (I got lectured about coffee from someone that drank alcohol throughout her 3 pregnancies) just don't talk to the negative people .. Doesn't work for me cause I have a short temper but might work for you haha who knows.
  • Options
    Stop the info train. Problem solved.
  • Options
    I hate it when I tell people how far I am and then they look me up and down and tell me I'm 'tiny' and ask if I'm eating properly and give me lectures on the importance in eating for two. Actually random stranger, my baby is measuring exactly to the week as she should and I eat fine so stop looking at me like I'm depriving my baby of food and being a bad mother!!! It's so frustrating !!
  • Options
    This^^^^ I have enough anxiety about eating enough for baby without this being handed to me. I share your frustration. My response is usually "all my scans shows she's perfect!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"