May 2015 Moms
Options

Baby Sprinkle

Hello everyone, just looking for opinions. I have 3 girls (14, 9 & almost 2) I am currently due in May with a Boy! My best friends are insisting on throwing me a Baby Sprinkle (since I only have girl things), nothing crazy just a BBQ in my yard. Someone who was invited sent me a text after receiving the invitation & said "Are you really having another Baby Shower & expecting gifts" I was a little annoyed & have yet to respond. Is it wrong they are throwing me a Baby Sprinkle?

Re: Baby Sprinkle

• Options
    Nothing wrong with celebrating another baby and also this one is a boy. So it won't hurt. Some people think it's all about attention. You can tell that person yes we're having a cook out to celebrate that I'm having a boy,what's wrong with that. Some people feel obligated to get a gift...if you don't need anything major you can also state your not looking for gifts unless you would like to buy something for the baby...outfits ect. (Some people also feel like your looking for hand outs after baby number one..)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would be annoyed too. My friends are throwing me a small get together as well. If the rude person knows your friend that insisted, explain that. And I would be sarcastic and say that of course you expect gifts.
    I don't know how you are supposed to respond to that text. Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would just respond, "Yep since blah blah and blah blah asked to host this for me, but no gifts are necessary!! I hope you can make it."
  • Options
    I would question whether that person is my friend.
  • Options
    DMELDMEL member
    Honestly, I always frown at "sprinkles" - although i would never send such a rude text to to the expecting mother!!!
    We through my best friend a lunch instead- 8 girlfriends took her out and gave her gifts bc we wanted to. It was super low key and all 8 girls wanted to get a gift so there were no invites to people who weren't interested.
  • Options
    I don't find anything wrong with it. It's common where I live to give sprinkles to moms for subsequent children especially if it's a different sex or has been a long time. I would politely respond "Yes blah decided to throw us a small sprinkle to celebrate the arrival of our son. Gifts are not required. Please rsvp back to blah blah as she is the hostess"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just heard of a baby sprinkle for the first time a few weeks ago. At first I thought it was a bit weird, as I've only ever seen a shower for a FTM.

Honestly though, if a friend offered to plan one for me, I wouldn't be opposed. Especially if you know you're having the opposite gender of what you already have. However, I wouldn't be too keen to attend a sprinkle that I heard the mom REQUESTED.

That being said - you didn't ask for this, it was offered. So I think the best response would be "yes we are having one. So and so wanted to throw a little get together and I thought that would be fun. Gifts are not expected at all. But I hope you can come"

I agree that it was rude of that guest to text YOU about it. If anything they should confront the host if they have a problem with it. Or better yet - keep your opinion to yourself and just don't go! It's an invitation. Not a mandatory event!!
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. This is my third boy. My sil and sister offered to throw a small get together once baby is born and I said yes. It's been made clear to the guests that gifts aren't expected. Just celebrating the new baby. Last shower I had was 7 years ago.
  • Options
    greks84greks84 member
    edited March 2015
    saric83 said:

I would just respond, "Yep since blah blah and blah blah asked to host this for me, but no gifts are necessary!! I hope you can make it."

I second this. I would have insisted it by like that in the invitation though before hand if my friend really wanted to throw me the sprinkle. It would have stated, "please no gifts, your presence is the gift." And it wouldn't have been called a sprinkle bc sprinkle signifies gifts. And it wouldn't have been until the baby was born. But if you have to have this sprinkle and you really want gifts then hopefully it's just that one woman who reacted like that and respond to her that way.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    People are ridiculous! It's very fun to get together and celebrate the coming birth of a new life. And if someone brings a gift, wonderful... If not... That's great too. Especially since you have three girls and no boy items, what's the harm in picking up a cute little pack of boy onesies or something of that nature. I agree with @lola2bee and say that person doesn't sound like a real friend.
  • Options
    Wow.  No way is it "wrong" of your friends to throw you a sprinkle!  Some friends and I threw one for one of our girlfriends (we literally just got a table at a restaurant and decorated it) because her first was a boy and second was a girl.  She didn't know about it but it was something we wanted to do for her, you know, because we love her and were excited for her new addition. I understand what other moms are saying, that gifts are typically expected but I really don't know how hard or budget busting picking up an outfit or stuffed toy is.  I would make it clear it is of course not about gifts but to celebrate a girl coming into the family but with an attitude like that she's certainly not obligated to come. 
  • Options
    greks84 said:

Most of the women who were very anti sprinkle baby showers are no longer on this forum since the changes to the rule. Mainly bc most of them were rude mean bitches. So the majority of the responses you're going to get are. "Do what you want! Who cares abot your friend yadda yadda yadda and blow smoke up your bum." Me? I'm totally okay with a second baby shower being a sprinkle if it's a different sex child. Or if the second child was born many many many years after your first. But honestly.. You have three other kids. And one that was born two years ago.... By this point in your life you should be stable enough to provide for your own child on your own with out a shower. And if you aren't, the appropriate thing to do is have a meet the baby get together where gifts are not required. Because people will still bring gifts. Yes your friend was a bitch for sending that text, but chances are... She isn't the only one who rolled her eyes when she receieved the invititation. Crucify me if you want ladies, but I do my best to follow etiquette because good friends are hard to come by. You shouldn't take advantage of them or expect them to gift you because your having a 4th child.

Agreed!!
  • Options
    I really do not get what the big fuzz is all about! If you want to celebrate your baby and your pregnancy then go ahead! Whoever does not want to bring a gift can apologize or even get a small gift. Really is 20$ set of onesies that big of a deal? It does not have to be a big or expensive gift. That might be just me.
  • Options
    How rude! Whether or not you're thinking something like that it's pretty freaking rude to say. 

I'm all about celebrating babies! I do think if you were throwing it yourself and expecting/demanding gifts that it's a little tacky but to each their own BUT that's not the case here... your friends are the ones throwing you the sprinkle and it sounds like it's just a good time to celebrate the birth of your first son. so to the person who text you that, they are a D-bag!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    I totally think this is up to you, I am on my second baby and had a few friends ask to throw a shower or sprinkle for me, I told them it was something I just wasn't comfortable with. That is just me though, I would make sure people know that presents are not expected. :)
  • Options
    DMELDMEL member
    Honestly, whenever a good friend has a baby, I get them a gift. I wouldn't need to be invited to a gift giving part to do so. So I do think this "friend" is very rude by calling you out via text. However, I think some people take issue with a sprinkle bc it's a gift giving party- the entire point of a shower is to shower the mom with gifts. But again, you didn't ask for this and are simply The recipient of a nice gesture by people who care about you.

I say brush off the rude woman and enjoy your friends
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @greks84  i swear i was just thinking the same thing while i was reading the comments.  I couldn't stand those bitter ass bitches anyways.  GOOD RIDANCE HATERS. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"