Upstate NY Babies
Options

Bottles in Mexico

Less than 2 months til our Mexico trip- woohooo!

We're staying about 10 miles south of Cancun so I know we'll be near "civilization" if we need anything for the babies. They will be 2 1/2 wks shy of their 1st B-day while we're there so I was wondering which would be easier; I'm trying to consider- weight of bags/cost of bags, due to water use concerns, no microwaves in room... I'm thinking of buying a small hotpot/hot plate thingy to use as a warmer?

1. Switch them to whole milk, which I can order from room service and find a way to heat up.

2. Get a ton of bottled water, find a way to heat it and lug down formula.

Oh and can I use tap water in a resort to wash bottles or would you be too nervous?

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Bottles in Mexico

• Options

when I was in mexico I used bottled water from the resort...L took his bottles room temp so I didnt have to worry about heating up...

there is a walmart in cancun and playa del carmen- we had do run out and get more formula while we were there- but I did just pack formula in my checked bag...

what resort are you going to again? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're staying at the Crown Paradise Club, it was the only place that has rooms big enough to accommodate BIL/SIL and their 4 kiddos without forcing them into 2 rooms
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would plan on using resort bottled water if you're going the formula route. In Playa, I was close to a ton of stores but anything like Walmart would have been a cab ride. There were a ton of pharmacies where we were so I imagine they sell formula too. However, I would try to bring it down with me.

A few weeks after C's birthday we went on a cruise to the Bahamas.  To avoid the formula issue I made sure she was switched over to milk.  If I were traveling with E a few weeks shy of his first birthday I would attempt to make the switch a couple weeks before I left.  But I might be a little lax with the second child (ha!) and I probably wouldn't have tried that with Claire.  

• Options
    My kids are warm bottle junkies. I actually kinda figured this out myself with a little google'ing. People said to use bottled water- just run it through the coffee make with no beans. I could have instant access to hot water all night long. I was most nervous about Nat waking up like usual and wanting a warm bottle ASAP and waking up the boys.
  • Options
    How do you heat bottles now? I would get a bottle warmer. They are pretty cheap- we used a munchkin one for like two years straight and it worked great. It was very fast and you could have everything ready to go and once she wakes bring her to the bathroom, click the button and in a minute or so the bottle is ready to go. I'd say super ICK to running water through a coffee maker- google "coffee maker bacteria" haha! I also wouldn't trust hotel milk.
  • Options

imageTelyco:
    I'd say super ICK to running water through a coffee maker- google "coffee maker bacteria" haha! I also wouldn't trust hotel milk.

Ditto, even without google! lol I know how nasty the water looks when I clean ours, I would never use that water to drink. I agree with bottle warmer, or can you rent a microwave for the room from an outside vendor? IDK if that works in the Caribbean, Disney has boards with people who set up swaps in the hotels.

I would stick with formula for the trip, use bottled water and bottle warmer. Unless you could ship a box in advance with shelf stable milk? IDK, I have yet to run into this problem!

• Options

Which resort is it?  I got married on the Mayan Riviera.. there is lots of stuff around there, even a store that's like a walmart (if worse came to worse).

We used bottled water for everything, and our room was well stocked. If we went to the beach or on a bus trip, we loaded our backpacks with water bottles.  I assume you could even wash/rinse things with bottled water.

I don't know about bringing a little burner, it sounds reasonable.. I mean it's small, you could just leave it at the hotel when you leave.  I'm sure they would be happy to accomodate you with a microwave at the resort, but it's not like it will be in your room.. so if you have screaming babies in the middle of the night, that would be a whole other issue.

Are there any bottle warmers that plug into a walll (not an outlet)?

• Options
    I would definitely switch them to milk. You did with j early right? Its only 2 weeks. As far as washing the bottles I have no idea.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Options

this is what we did.  Our water wasn't safe to drink at all.

I switched Sophia to milk about 2 weeks before we went. (6 days after she turned 1).  We stopped heating her formula and milk up long before we went.  It just wasn't conveinent to have it heated at the pool.  I would order milk and it would be in the room for us.  The bartender would fill her bottle at the bar.  

I took Dawn with us.  I only used bottled water to wash the bottles.  We were provided with unlimited bottled water.  I would trust the water more in Mexico b/c their water has come a long way.

I would transition the babies off of formula and have them start drinking the bottles cold.  it will be easier for you.

• Options

Since it's only two weeks from their 1st birthday I would transition them to milk. It will be so much easier traveling then dealing with clean drinking water and warming up formula.

We brought a small bottle of dish soap and a bottle brush to Disney with us for Belle's sippys. I would use bottled water to wash out the bottles.

• Options

I totally agree that switching to milk would be easiest, but you made it sound like you (er, they) weren't up for the switch to cold.

Room service milk sounds expensive....how would they bring it? Prebottled/1x a day or something they pour into a carafe (I would not like this)? Does the resort have fridges in rooms? Do they provide bottled water?

When we travel I use a new sponge and put a layer of dish soap on it, let it dry and cut into thirds. Put it in a ziplock and then you have soap/sponges at the ready. I would not use tap water to wash unless they say it's ok. We stayed at Moon Palace in RM and we brushed our teeth with the tap water, it was fine.

• Options
    I would definitely try to transition them to milk early. It seems like it would make things so much easier. Trying to figure out thr logistics for formula sounds like it will be such a pain. I started Liana on milk right about 11 months since I was anxious to be done pumping and she has done great.
  • Options
    oh yeah. I am not sure which bottles you use but sophia dropped 2 bottles while we were there are the yellow ring that holds the nipple on cracked. We only took 3 bottles with us so we had to guard the last one with our life.  So I would take extra
  • Options

Sorry my reply was repetitive.. it was one of those things I typed up and then left the computer for like 2 hours :)

I would reevaluate too as you get closer, maybe they would get used to not having warmed bottle.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"