February 2015 Moms

Dr. wants to induce - I do NOT!

I'm just now reaching my due date (today) and already earlier this week the doctor I saw insisted on scheduling me for induction next Friday morning if baby girl isn't here by then. I told him point blank I am not comfortable with that and do not want to be induced until absolutely necessary. I thought there was no need for that until after week 42. What can I do?

Answers

• I was induced at 38 weeks only because I was already in labour and I wasn't progressing. What helped me go into labour was walking. I walked and walked everyday 4-5 times a day for maybe a week and a half before my LO was born. Also (just to play devils advocate) induction wasn't that bad for me I don't really know what your reasons are for not wanting it and it definitely wasn't pleasant but it was a lot easier than being in labour for 3 days at 2 cm. But anyway try walking around your neighbourhood. It sucks a lot but it works.
  • I totally understand not wanting to be induced unless medically necessary. No hospital here will induce before 42+0 unless there is a medical reason to do it.
    What did your doctor say when you said you wanted to wait? What are his reasons for scheduling you for friday?
  • Loading the player...
  • When I expressed my disliking for the idea and asked him why he wanted to schedule me to be induced at only the 41 week mark, he said verbatim, "After 40 weeks there is a slight chance the placenta could begin to dwindle or the baby might poop in your uterus." That was his answer... My pregnancy has been fine thus far, so I don't understand his thinking there needs to be any sort of medical intervention at this point.
  • Refuse, if you can. I delivered at 42.1 with clear fluid, no merc, and a healthy placenta. Obviously everyone is different but my midwife said things don't start to deteriorate until *after* the due date.
  • I will have a u/s done at 41w to make sure there is enough fluid and that the placenta is still working. Maybe you can ask for extra monitoring to make sure baby is ok? I understand that it's hard to go agains your doctors wishes but if you really don't feel comfortable with getting induced then he should be able to give you alternatives.
  • Can't an U/S help determine if placenta is deteriorating?
    I agree -refuse!!! I knew a mom whose dr wanted to induce with no medical reason. She said, "So if you schedule the induction, what happens if I don't show up?"
    He can't force you. Go in with research, your SO for support and adamant for what's best for you and baby. ( you know!)
  • Well, as someone who was initially being induced for being 41 weeks (I did have reasons due to insurance issues, but it wasn't medically necessary), there did end up being a medical need for it in the end anyway. However, it was my choice initially to have it done. I did do my research beforehand to see what the statistics were for complications and I personally felt the benefits outweighed the risks.

Your doctor is right in that after your due date, your placenta can start deteriorating which can lead to umbilical cord detachment, amniotic fluid loss, and internal infection that can lead to death of not only baby, but the mother too. He is also right in that the chances of your baby pooping in-utero become exponentially increased for each day you go past your due date. Your chances of needing a c-section become greater as your baby is still growing at the same rate as before, which can cause your baby to become too large to be delivered vaginally, safely. Your cervix can start to regress in dilation and unripen, almost overnight; causing the need for an induction and/or c-section anyway. Your risk for Pre-E becomes greater, same with developing low BP. If you have GD and go past your EDD, the chances of your GD becoming permanent become greater as does the chances of your baby developing type 1 diabetes later in life.

As you can see, there are A TON of risk factors involved when going past your due date. Now that doesn't mean that you absolutely will develop any or all of these risks, but it is your decision to take the gamble or not. Just because your pregnancy has been complication free thus far, does not mean that it can't, or won't, go south very quickly.

I had a relatively complication free pregnancy up until I was already in active labor. My water completely drained causing the cord to get wrapped around my daughter's neck and leg. At the hospital, it was determined that an emergency c-section was needed due to the cord issue and before that my OB was even telling me that I had, "a lot of baby for someone of my size" and that it was safer to do the cesarean because she wasn't confident that she would fit down the canal safely without causing massive tearing and hemorrhaging.

So I would keep an open mind, do your research, and discuss all the pros and cons with your doctor before making the final decision. Not saying that you should change your mind and induce, I am just saying that by knowing ALL of the facts, you will be able to make a more informed decision.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am 41 weeks today, have an appointment for induction on Monday night (3days) I am not having many contractions at all, though I am very active all day and walking lots... I am considering proceeding with thy induction as I am really over being so pregnant and uncomfortable.. But of course looking for advice from others nonstop.. And keeping fingers crossed labor starts naturally..
  • Listen to your doctor. I was induced and didnt want too. Thank God i was. I got preeclampsia, my blood pressure shot thru the roof. There was concern of me seizing out. Babys HB dropped & pooped in the sac. We are
    All healthy thank goodness.
  • Beth.1212Beth.1212 member
    edited March 2015

Well, as someone who was initially being induced for being 41 weeks (I did have reasons due to insurance issues, but it wasn't medically necessary), there did end up being a medical need for it in the end anyway. However, it was my choice initially to have it done. I did do my research beforehand to see what the statistics were for complications and I personally felt the benefits outweighed the risks.

Your doctor is right in that after your due date, your placenta can start deteriorating which can lead to umbilical cord detachment, amniotic fluid loss, and internal infection that can lead to death of not only baby, but the mother too. He is also right in that the chances of your baby pooping in-utero become exponentially increased for each day you go past your due date. Your chances of needing a c-section become greater as your baby is still growing at the same rate as before, which can cause your baby to become too large to be delivered vaginally, safely. Your cervix can start to regress in dilation and unripen, almost overnight; causing the need for an induction and/or c-section anyway. Your risk for Pre-E becomes greater, same with developing low BP. If you have GD and go past your EDD, the chances of your GD becoming permanent become greater as does the chances of your baby developing type 1 diabetes later in life.

As you can see, there are A TON of risk factors involved when going past your due date. Now that doesn't mean that you absolutely will develop any or all of these risks, but it is your decision to take the gamble or not. Just because your pregnancy has been complication free thus far, does not mean that it can't, or won't, go south very quickly.

I had a relatively complication free pregnancy up until I was already in active labor. My water completely drained causing the cord to get wrapped around my daughter's neck and leg. At the hospital, it was determined that an emergency c-section was needed due to the cord issue and before that my OB was even telling me that I had, "a lot of baby for someone of my size" and that it was safer to do the cesarean because she wasn't confident that she would fit down the canal safely without causing massive tearing and hemorrhaging.

So I would keep an open mind, do your research, and discuss all the pros and cons with your doctor before making the final decision. Not saying that you should change your mind and induce, I am just saying that by knowing ALL of the facts, you will be able to make a more informed decision.

I completely agree with you that it's important to gather facts and make an informed decision. It's interesting that the research I did led me to conclude that induction before 42 weeks was not something I was interested in (though it is a tough call). My DH (who is a biologist and analyzes data everyday) and I looked at the research and the numbers and both agreed that we'd want to wait till 42 weeks. OP, make sure you're considering both the risks of remaining PG and the risks associated with an induction. Neither is a risk free option, so it's a matter of balancing those risks and deciding when you feel the risks of one option outweighs the other. Also remember to consider the likelihood of the risks associated with each. Ex. there are risks of uterine hyperstimulation associated with induction - the numbers vary depending on what induction method is used, but as I recall there somewhere around 10%. On the flip side, depending on the study/paper you look at, the risk of perinatal death start to go up sometime after 42 weeks (some claim as early as 39 weeks or so, I think), but the actual risk of perinatal death is still very low (a fraction of a percent). It's easy to say "there's a risk of death? no, can't take that risk" but if there are relatively high risks of harm with one option and pretty low risks of mortality with another, some people would rather avoid the high risks of harm. Only you and your SO can make that decision. 

Your doctor cannot perform an induction without your consent. You can tell him what your decision is about when you're willing to induce, and (hopefully) he can schedule it for that timeframe. If he insists on scheduling one earlier, you can "forget" to show up. 

GL with whatever you decide!
  • Listen to your doctor. I was induced and didnt want too. Thank God i was. I got preeclampsia, my blood pressure shot thru the roof. There was concern of me seizing out. Babys HB dropped & pooped in the sac. We are
    All healthy thank goodness.
    For moms that are beyond their dates, it's definitely extra important to have frequent midwife/OB visits to make sure that everything still looks good! Extra monitoring of the baby should be done, too. 

I'm so glad that you and your LO are okay! With pre-e, an induction is definitely the right call. 

Just a side note, pooping before birth is not a danger in and of itself. The risk is that the baby could "breath" in the meconium-stained fluid and then go on to get meconium aspiration syndrome. Meconium staining of amniotic fluid occurs in something like 15% of all deliveries. Meconium aspiration syndrome occurs in only about 2% of these deliveries, so we're talking about really low numbers. 
  • Thank you all. I do greatly appreciate your responses and advice! I have tests scheduled for tomorrow, so hopefully all goes well and I can find out more of what to expect and make a decision from there. 41 weeks and 3 days and just now finally seeing signs of labor. Hoping she'll come naturally and healthily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"