June 2015 Moms

slightly different

So I know there was a recent post about meal planning but I need some suggestions for meals for just one person. My hubby is having surgery next month and will be on a liquid diet for about the next 6 weeks. So that leaves me on my own for cooking and eating. Any help would be greatful!

Re: slightly different

• Sorry to hear about your husband! And that you have to eat on your own.

I like to eat avocado toast when I'm on my own (toast + avocado mashed with olive oil and salt). Sometimes I add an egg on top of that. I also really like cache e pepe (pasta with parmesan and pepper). If I have time, I'll make a pot of soup and then freeze quart-sized portions to thaw and eat. A quart is usually enough for dinner and lunch the next day, especially if I add a salad or bread to my soup. Here's a blog post about eating for one as well.
  • Thanks ladies!
  • Loading the player...
  • Since DH is active duty military, I find myself eating for one at least half the time (his work schedule now is 2 days on straight, 2 days off). Here is my favorite for one recipe, which is quick and easy to clean up

Supplies: heavy duty foil, veggies of choice that work well when steam cooked (I use bell pepper strips and green beans, have also used broccoli), filet of tilapia or salmon, lemon, butter, salt, pepper, old bay

preheat oven to 450

lay out a longish section of heavy duty foil (you're going to make a foil envelope, essentially, with all your stuff sealed inside, so mine is usually twice the width of the foil). In the middle, place your fish filet, with the veggies kinda to the side and on top of the filet. I end up using 1/4 to 1/2 of the bell peppers in strips (depending on how freaky big your peppers are) and an equal amount of green beans. Off of a butter stick, I cut the one line increment (I forget its actual measurement, 1 tablespoon?) and cut that piece into 4 smaller pieces and just drop them around the veggies n fish. Squeeze lemon juice over all. Salt, pepper, old bay over all to taste.

Grab the two ends of your foil and pull them up to meet in the middle, then fold over the edges to make a tent and seal. Bring your sides down top to bottom and fold over to seal. You don't want it to be super tight around your fish n veggies, as all the butter and juice is going to steam cook it all, and the envelope will swell up during the cooking, however you do want the seals themselves to be very tight. Tightly fold over all open areas until you end up with a foil packet that has some play in it to allow for swelling, but wont let steam escape out the sides / seams anywhere.

Bake 18-20 minutes on a cookie sheet in the event a seal opens and some juice comes out (has never happened with me but better safe than sorry). When done it will be swollen pretty fat with steam, so you may want to remove the upper shelf from your oven prior to baking. Remove, and let rest a minute or two, then cut a corner to release the steam inside. Optionally pour out the juice, or not. Then rip the whole thing open and dump onto a plate. Pair with store made or freezer pre made garlic bread. (Also, once LO is here, add a cold beer, ahhh)

Dishes to be done - your cutting board, your plate, your fork. Can also make for two, obviously, just make two packets.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Find creative ways to build a fantastic grilled cheese sandwich.... Think of the endless possibilities! And soups to pair with them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"