Baby Names
Options

Karis

Ok, looking for a little help. We are considering Karis for our daughter. I realize the preferred spelling on this board is Carys, but we like the greek Karis which means Grace. That being said, is it dumb to use Grace as a middle name, when the first name means that? To me it is kind of like naming her "Grace Grace", but hubby says no one will know or care. Thoughts? Also, any other suggestions for middle name? Thanks!

Re: Karis

• Options
    Personally I don't like either name. 

I know Karras as a Greek surname, and do not care for making surnames first names for either gender. 

I also think naming her "Grace Grace" is silly. There are some Greek ladies on the board, they'll probably have a more informed resposne for you.
  • Options
    I like Karis and grace both as names on their own, but not together. Use one or the other
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eh, I don't think the Grace Grace thing is that big of a deal unless you plan to move to Greece.  I am pretty sure my name means grace in Hebrew but no one knows that.  I personally think Carys looks more elegant.

Other ideas for MN:

Eleanor
    Elizabeth
    Mae
    Evangeline 
  • Options
    Most people won't know the meaning of Karis, you just have to decide if it bothers you. How about Karis Hope or Karis Faith?

I feel like Karis does need a more feminine sounding middle name. I like Karis Elizabeth, Karis Marie, Karis Nicole, Karis Anne, Karis Kathleen...
  • Options
    Anna means grace and I can't tell you how many girls I know named Anna Grace...

It's likely that no one will even know, much less make the connection or care. Ditto PP who said just decide if it bothers YOU. I personally wouldn't name my kid something that means Grace Grace, but that's only because I'm OCD about that stuff and it would drive me nuts. It has never bothered me on someone else's kid. :)
  • Options
    Ive never heard this name is Greece.

Are you guys greek?
  • Options
    I like the name carys (or your spelling Karis) I just wouldn't use grace with it personally. Only because meaning are very important to me. Pretty name though
  • Options
    I'm not crazy about Carys/Karis Grace together...it's the double "s" sound for me
  • Options
    I never knew how to pronounce Carys but it sounds like a beautiful name. I think Karis Grace is cute and I doubt anyone will ask what it means. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Carys is Welsh and means "love" which would pair nicely with Grace. Just a thought.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I prefer carys grace.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"