March 2015 Moms

being induced

So I'm 37 weeks and 2 days. I have preeclampsia so they are inducing my in the morning. They started an IV but the nurse missed 3 times, and the 4th finally got it. She said I will need a second IV tomorrow, but since she blew most my veins in my arms I was wondering can I decline the second IV? It was horrible, and the current IV is basically in my wrist, in my dominant hand:( just wondering if I can tell them no to second IV cause I don't want any more pokes then I REALLY need. Opinions?

Re: being induced

• edited February 2015
    You can refuse anything. Medical care cannot be forced on anyone , but I would follow their instructions even if it's uncomfortable. They have much more experience than us.
  • I'm just worried they blew all the veins I had cause I don't have many good ones:( I guess we will see, I just have never had anyone miss so many times on me in my life, and I even work in the medical field and students never have missed even cause I have good veins. I'm just nervous I don't have anything left for them to poke now:(
  • Loading the player...
  • Well if they plan to give you pitocin to induce you'll need at least one iv. You could always request another nurse put your iv in, some are better at it than others.
  • There's plenty of places
    Where I work we have a lot of ex-IV drug users
    We use veins on legs, chest, feet, Hands, they will find a good one :)
    I agree ^^ you could always ask for someone else
  • If you are being induced, you can't avoid an IV, sadly. Pitocin is administered in a drip.

You do have more veins to use than in your elbows and forearms. I would definitely ask for another nurse to try the IV next time.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I know I will need the one IV for the inducing, but a second one doesn't sound okay. She said that the second one was primarily for an epidural I guess and I'm trying to go with out one. So I guess we shall see what happens. I'm more nervous about the needles then labor it's self haha. I will keep you guys posted though and thank you for answering me!!:)
  • Epidurals cannot be run through normal ivs. It's placed in your back directly into the spinal column because it runs through the nerves not the veins.
  • Yes I know that, I'm a nurse. But if I have an epidural I need a second IV incase something happens. But I REALLY Want To Avoid It ALL Together haha.
  • @chelsieeful4
    Omg ! Girl ! If you're a nurse you know the importance of the second IV, and all the places they can find one !
    You know the right thing to do ! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"