Third-Party Reproduction

What stops you from going overseas for TPR?

I'm still new to this board and I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge and experience as I can as we're just entering the third-party phase. We are currently seriously considering overseas options for egg or embryo donation. The cost is just so much lower (even including travel) and there is less waiting and red tape (I'm in Canada so the system is different). However, this option doesn't seem to be very common. So I'm honestly asking the question - what stops people from going overseas? Why not

**I don't mean this critically at all and I'm not judging anyone's choices - I'm not looking for a debate. I'm honestly curious for other perspectives and opinions so that I have a better understanding of our options. Hopefully it's okay to ask!
30 yrs, healthy & TTC since April 2010 
DH 32yrs & healthy
*unexplained infertility* 

Regularly access alternative medicine to supplement a lack of resources in our geographical area.
  • Three rounds of clomid (50mg days 3-7) were useless.
  • IUI#1 w/clomid & HCG in May 2013, BFN.
  • IUI#2 w/clomid & HCG on July 23rd. BFN.
  • IUI #3 in August cancelled last minute, due to lab error.
  • IVF#1 - Started Gonal F stims October 13 2013 for IUI. Over-responded with too many follicles, so converted to IVF. Retrieval October 29th - got 5 eggs, 4 fertilized. Had 2 perfect little embryos transferred on day 3 (Nov. 1). The remaining 2 didn't survive to freeze. Got our BFN on November 13th 2013.
  • IVF#2 - Started stims August 21st. Triggered with Suprefact, started on dostinex due to risk of OHSS. Retrieval September 5th - got 27 eggs! 21 embryos on day 3. Embryos deteriorated quickly. ESet 5day blast on Sept 10. No embryos high enough quality to freeze. BFN came Sept. 22.

Reserved a semi-known proven donor in August .

Waiting for consult/screening and protocols with estimated fresh cycle timing in October

Re: What stops you from going overseas for TPR?

• We were seriously considering Czech Republic after my first failed DE cycle, but had success with the subsequent FET.  We then got insurance coverage and it became a moot point.  But, it does look like a good option. 

I did not have any waiting with the donor aspect here in the US, as we used an agency.  However, I do know (depending on which US clinic you go to), CZ is much cheaper.  My first fresh DE cycle was around $16K, and the CZ option was significantly less.

On the resolve boards there is a group called CzechMates; might be something to look into if you are considering this option.  GL!

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• We considered oversea surrogacy since there is no way we could have afforded a surrogate in the US until a family friend offered to carry for us.  We looked at India, which my DH thought was way too far away but I heard many success stories and Mexico where I had a hard time finding even one success stories and yet a bunch of fraud stories.  Best of luck which ever route you choose.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"