August 2015 Moms
Options

Intermediate risk for Down syndrome?

hey has anyone gotten this result from their 12 week ultrasound and blood reading? They called and told me at my age (giving birth at 30) there is a 1/670 chance of having a child with DS, but my reading was 1/340 chance, saying I was in intermediate risk. Any input would be great. Thank u! Very nervous and scared

Re: Intermediate risk for Down syndrome?

• Options
    Thanks yeah I know but it's really hard to not stress about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know, but try not to. Just remind yourself the odds are still in your favor. FXFY
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry. After my last pregnancy, I went into this one knowing we have a 1/100 chance of another Down's baby. Yes, I am worried, but it didn't stop us trying and knowing it's still likely the baby will be healthy.
    Trigger Warning (LC and loss) -- 
    Married May 2008 
    Beautiful daughter Alyssa born April 23, 2011 
    Precious son Isaac born at 34 weeks in April 27, 2014 with Potters Syndrome Type 4 and Down Syndrome - trusted into the arms of Jesus after 3 hours.
    Pregnant again! Due August 8, 2015 please be healthy, little one!

(results on 2/4/15 showed no Down's and it's a girl!) Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Which screening did you do
  • Options
    I feel I do better picturing percentages. 1/340 = 0.29%! Those are FANTASTIC odds for a perfect and healthy baby.
  • Options
    It's why so many people opt out of this test because it's unneeded stress. Your going to love the baby either way.... right?
  • Options
    MissV22CMissV22C member
    edited January 2015
    Definitely agree, those odds (0.29%) sound good to me.
  • Options
    WSatisfiedPWSatisfiedP member
    edited January 2015
    I completely opted out if this test and did the panorama instead. I'm not fond of the x:xxx ratios. Are you going to follow up with a NIPT?
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• Options
    That means your risk went down.  This is good news. 

BabyFruit Ticker image

• Options
    Thanks everyone for ur feedback! This is my first pregnancy so I am not familiar with everything...I didn't even know I could have opted out of the test. I definitely would have because this stress is not needed.
  • Options

Thanks everyone for ur feedback! This is my first pregnancy so I am not familiar with everything...I didn't even know I could have opted out of the test. I definitely would have because this stress is not needed.

You are the one in control. You get to make the decisions so anything you don't want or are not comfortable with you always have the right to decline. This isn't even just true for pregnancy but for all of your health needs
  • Options

You clearly have no understanding of ratios. Basic math.

What about doing the NIPT?
    Mom to one in heaven. Mom to one here on Earth.

BFP - 12/1
    First U/S - 12/11 Saw heartbeat
    Second U/S - 12/18 HR 120 BPM 
    Third U/S - 12/23/2014 HR 150 BPM

Due Date - 8/8/2015 
    Arrival Date - 8/3/2015 - Asher David 8 lbs 5 oz 21 1/2"

• Options
    Sometimes the unexpected news is difficult to process. I have not gone through it. I had a friend who did. She spent the rest of her pregnancy preparing for it being the case and her son ended up without DS. It was a tough journey for her. DS people are some of the most wonderful people but of course it does come with a different set of parenting and life challenges.

For me, we are going to do NIPT. We looked into it and our insurance is going to partially cover it.
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • Options
    You clearly have no understanding of ratios. Basic math. What about doing the NIPT?
    Your right.  I was reading fast. 

BabyFruit Ticker image

• Options
    This is why I don't take those tests. We go through a lot while pregnant no need to add more to your plate. You are pregnant and have a true blessing growing. We love our children no matter what.
  • Options
    We opted out of these tests as well. I'm an anxious person to begin with and we both agreed results wouldn't change our mind so why spend the rest of the pregnancy stressing when there is enough to worry about from one day to the next.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If it counts for anything, my mom had me at 35 and I'm perfectly fine at 21 years old, a little slow sometimes but that could be the pregnancy brain.
  • Options
    hope this helps
    https://www.mfama.com/services6.htm
    it says down at the bottom that intermediate risk is less than the risk of invasive testing. at least thats what I picked up from it.
    Be the Change.
    Make no assumptions
    Take nothing personally
    Be impeccable with your word
    Do your best

• Options
    Hi, i got a 1/210 chance so i did the nipt test and it came back fine. The wait drove me crazy but now i have a more clear result. Hang in there

• Options
    I had 1/300 and did Maternity 21 when the ultrasound showed a soft marker on LO's heart. Everything came back fine. Don't stress until there are actual reasons to. I know it's easier said then done. But like a previous post. They are ratios, chances, and risk assessments. Congrats on your pregnancy!
  • Options
    e1223e1223 member
    At your Level II (20 week) ultrasound usually they will look for hard/soft markers of DS and other abnormalities. I opted out of all extra testing with all of my pregnancies. (this is my 4th pregnancy, 2 living children) With this pregnancy, there was a hard marker found for DS at my Level II ultrasound so my odds went to 1/35 (which I'm guessing qualifies me as "very high risk"). I chose to do the test of my blood that is non-invasive (NIPT that some are referring to, the one my practice offers is called Progenity, another brand is Harmony) that is 99% accurate and is a yes/no for DS and trisomies. I'm in the wait for the results right now. Even with 1/35 odds, that's a 97% chance this baby is "normal" (based on chromosomes at least). I hate this time of uncertainty, but with 2 other children I know that never goes away.

I am really grateful for the option of knowing ahead of time if this baby does have Down syndrome, so that we can prepare for that IF that is the case - while it is not a life I would CHOOSE for my child, it is a known syndrome with a lot of resources and support available. I also know that special needs can come at ANY time and in a variety of forms. I'm not saying I'm calm and rational about it all the time, but hey, that's life. Shit happens and you just deal with it the best you can.
  • Options
    @e1223 I'm currently in the waiting game too. We had our a/s on Tuesday and they saw 2 soft markers: heart and choroid cysts. We go back for a level II scan in a few days. I hope the best for our babies and just wanted to say that I sympathize with others waiting on results bc I'm sure we all love our babies and want the best for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"