January 2015 Moms
Options

Overfeeding baby?

ljordan722ljordan722 member
edited January 2015 in January 2015 Moms
LO is 3wks old, EBF, and he eats all the time. We've experienced cluster feeding & this is different, it's like all the time if he's awake. He only wants me to hold him & when he smells me he equates that with food time & starts rooting and crying until he gets the boob. So he's nursing all the time, he won't take a pacifier, & I've wanted to start pumping to have an emergency stash built up but I literally don't have time! Just wondering if it's possible to be over feeding or if he's just going to be a chunky fella?

ETA: I've also lost 20lbs since he was born so I'm having trouble keeping up with his demands nutritionally and feel like I'm eating constantly & drinking all the time too so I'm not sure what I can do to keep from losing more!

Re: Overfeeding baby?

• Options
    it is almost impossible to over feed a bf'd baby. between eating and comfort sucking it can feel like you are nursing all the time.  

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    He had a growth spurt at 10 days, that was when he started cluster feeding but this has been all day, every day for like a week. I'm not like giving up or anything, just wanting to make sure it's normal I guess!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Had the same problem, the nurse actually told me I was over feeding him because he was throwing up an it was coming thru his nose too. (Scary stuff)
  • Options
    My pediatrician says there's no such thing as over feeding. I feel the same way some days.. today is one of those days, he's either napping or on the boob n his naps r super, super short so it's mostly boob time...
  • Options
    I usually do one side per feeding & I don't really time him, just until he goes to sleep or loses interest (usually about 20/25 minutes) then burp. If he starts rooting again after burping I'll put him on the opposite side. I just feel like I'm offering boob every time he cries (not fussing but actual crying) but I guess if it makes him happy & he's not spitting it all back up then it's all good lol he has his first cold today so I'm trying to get him to eat as much as possible to hopefully clear that up :(
  • Options
    This sounds exactly like my kid... No insight yet, if you figure it out let me know!
    BabyFruit Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Mine is 20 days old and the same thing!! There's no real pattern, somedays all boob all the time and other days a more reasonable eating schedule. I call it boob frenzy - He eats for like 10-15 mins on one boob and then tired himself out and falls asleep. Wakes up 20-30 mins later like he's starving. We started giving him a bottle of pumped breast milk so my husband could help. It's good to know I'm not the only one!!! :)
  • Options
    Like others said it is nearly impossible to over feed a breast fed baby.  They go through a growth spurt at 3 weeks as well so that could be part of it.  If you are feeling overwhelmed possibly offer a pacifier if baby just wants to suck or pump a bottle of milk and have your DH feed the baby a feeding or two.
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Options
    Take a hot shower and Pump before you feed so milk is flowing and you get some for later. Baby may be more satisfied with later hind milk that build fat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"