December 2014 Moms
Options

From bed to bassinet

Hi. My LO is 4 weeks old and has been sleeping in bed with me. I hadn't planned on cosleeping but have had trouble getting him to sleep in the bassinet. It's right in the room next to us. I'll nurse him, he'll seem sound asleep and then I put him down. In about 5 minutes he's up and getting upset so I end up comforting him and just taking him into the bed. I would really feel better with him out if the bed but this has just been so much easier and calmer. Thoughts? Advice?

Re: From bed to bassinet

• Options
    mrsshourmrsshour member
    edited January 2015
    He is still so little and needs you at night. They wake up because it's a big empty dark space without momma smells and momma sounds And they get scared. I wouldn't push him into the bassinet till he's ready. Try doing naps there. Get him used to the space. Our little one still sleeps and will continue to sleep with us till min 3 months. Everyone sleeps better and she gets the closeness she needs.
  • Options
    IhopeIhope member
    edited January 2015
    My son is/was the same way. I just got him to start napping in bassinet at 7 weeks. Keep trying periodically. We keep introducing/reintroducing things he hated a few weeks ago, sometimes it takes, sometimes it doesn't. Also just got him to start enjoying his bouncer which he absolutely hated a few weeks ago. Ps don't forget the heating pad trick. I also use a wedge under the pad to elevate his head slightly. Ask your pediatrician if that is ok.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    try a RnP? my baby prefers it bc it's more snug vs our giant bassinet. But 4 weeks is young, my LO still prefers to sleep in my arms. Try naps in the bassinet, swing etc so they get used to different places. It takes time.

If you're worried about bed sharing, just take some extra safety steps- remove the sheets/extra pillows, only have the comforter come up halfway. I sleep away from my hubby bc he thrashes around with the comforter and his body and it makes me nervous.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    My LO is six weeks old I was having the same issue what I started doing even though they're not supposed have a blanket in with them I started as soon she fell sleep I put a blanket under her head on her back and then warm it up and lay her in the bassinet with a blanket wrapped around her doctor said that was fine. She gets my smell and the warmth from the blanket. Has been working for us.
  • Options
    My LO refused to sleep in the bassinet and will only go down in the Rock n Play or his swing. He doesn't seem to like totally flat surfaces, so the RnP is ideal. Maybe give that a shot?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Great thanks everyone, got some ideas now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"