Infertility

Arresting on day 5? - UPDATE!

tptbabetptbabe member
edited June 2014 in Infertility

Google isn't telling me anything, and I don't know what to think. We had great fertilization, with 13 of 14 mature eggs fertilizing and all 13 of them still growing on day 3. We did a single transfer of an early blast yesterday, as we were told that we had "plenty" to freeze. (3 other blasts, and 3 morulas that they were watching) Then today we find out that every single embryo arrested overnight??? I can't for the life of me figure out why this would happen! Or why they were freezing them today instead of yesterday? Is freezing on day 6 the norm?

***Update is on the 2nd page :)

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

Re: Arresting on day 5? - UPDATE!

• I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. That really sucks.

Clinics typically freeze once an embryo reaches full blast; sometimes that's day 5, sometimes that's day 6. Anything that does not reach blast by Day 6 is not viable. I'm guessing they weren't *quite* there on Day 5, so they gave them an extra day to catch up.

FWIW, it sounds like even if they'd frozen them yesterday, they still would have arrested upon thaw, or not properly thawed at all. 

*hugs*
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    19-year history of endometriosis. Multiple surgeries and cyst removals. Forced directly into IVF due to blocked tubes and severe adhesions.
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #1 - Dec 2013 - Only 1 normal. Ended in CP
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #2, at CCRM - March 2014!
    14R, 12 ICSI'd, 11F, 6 for CCS, 5 healthy blasts frozen!
    Two 5BB blasts transferred 9/10; First beta 9/19: 109; second beta 9/22: 550!
    EDD: 5/29/15

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am so sorry you have to go through this.

This happened with us as well on our first round of IVF.  They all looked great on d3 (I think we still had 9 or 10 at that point), by d5 they only transferred 1 and had 1 left to freeze (on day 6).  (details in siggy on how many retrieved, etc)

Our RE said sometimes this just happens.  We followed the same protocol the next round with a d3 transfer of 2 (just in case).  And then we had 5 left to freeze on d5/6.  Not sure what was different or why - again our RE told us sometimes these things just happen (not super helpful I know)

I am hopeful that if you choose to do another round that you will have some to freeze.  Good luck!
    ***signature/ticker warning***
    Me:37 DH:39
    TTC#1 since 3/2012

Diagnosis : Unexplained Infertility

3 BFN rounds Clomid + IUI
    IVF 1 - BFN, 1 Frozen
    IVF 2 - BFN, 5 Frozen
    FET 1 - BFP!!! EDD 1/24/15 Beta 1: 700, Beta 2: 2,156; 1st U/S 6w3d: HB 118bpm, 2nd U/S 9w3d: HB 171bpm

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • pblgepblge member
    Yikes. Don't have anything to add, but wanted to say how sorry I am. Sending lots of sticky vibes to the one they transferred. (((hugs)))
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • I'm so sorry this happened. ((Hugs))
    Me: 30 DH: 30 ~ TTC #1 Since August 2011 
    BFP #1 2/28/13, Ectopic, Tubal surgery 3/25 
    Began RE testing 8/8, Dx Unexplained, 
    IUI #1 11/1=BFN Moving on to IVF 
    IVF #1 12/2 ER 8R 7M 4 fertilized
    12/7 Transferred 2 "perfect" little blasts 12/17 BFN
    New DX= DOR, I fu*kng hate IF
    1/14 Hysteroscopy, new clean uterus!
    IVF #2: bcp, Lupron, follistim 300, menopur 225. 2/21 8R 4M 3F. 3dt of 2 perfect embryos. 1 little penguin 
     3/10 BFFN
    Regrouping. Seeing reproductive immunologist Dr. Kwak Kim 6/10 
    Kwak Kim protocol: Metformin 1000mg, vitamin D 4000iu, vitamin E 400iu, baby aspirin, Metanx, levothyroxine 75mcgs 
     Surprise BFP 9/21!!! Beta #1 247, Beta #2 630. Miscarried 10/13

• Ugh, I hate the unknown! I wish I could say that we learned something from this for another cycle, but we can't do another one. I just wish I had an answer. We have a WTF already scheduled for 3 weeks from now, so I hope she at least is able to shed some light on it then? Of course, I hope that we don't need that appointment, but I really don't think it's looking good. I hope that I'm just being pessimistic, but I don't think so.
    image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• airidh80 said:
    I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. That really sucks.

Clinics typically freeze once an embryo reaches full blast; sometimes that's day 5, sometimes that's day 6. Anything that does not reach blast by Day 6 is not viable. I'm guessing they weren't *quite* there on Day 5, so they gave them an extra day to catch up.

FWIW, it sounds like even if they'd frozen them yesterday, they still would have arrested upon thaw, or not properly thawed at all. 

*hugs*
    This!! Im sending you the worlds biggest hug!! Im so so sorry.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Waited a long time, tried a lot of stuff, science made me a mom.
     Loss and IF veteran. Current mom of DS 5.5, DD 2, and sometimes DH 40. Due June 2021 with TWINS
  • gmalagmala member
    Sorry! I have had mine do the same thing, last time 6 were fertilized and 4 of the 6 arrested. It sucks! My doctor wants to do pgd testing now to see what the problem is, which freaks me out even more. GL!! I hope everything works out!
    Me:34 DH: 38 
    Married June 2011 
    TTC since March 2012 
    Low Ovarian Reserve (AMH .13) and poor egg quality
    4 IUIs...2 with Clomid- all BFNs 
    IVF #1 March 2014- 450 Follistim 2 Menopur Ganirellix last 2 days retrieved 9 follicles, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, arrested before transfer 
    IVF #2 May 2014- lupron mico flare protocol-- 14 days stim lupron, follistim, menopur- retrieved 9 follicles, 6 mature, 2 fertilized, transfer 5 days- 1 blastocyst, 1 morula 
    beta 1 BFP--only 11 beta 2-negative
    Taking a break until August/September
  • Like @airidh80‌ said above, they only freeze the embryos that make it to blastocyst and that would have a shot. So freezing them earlier unfortunately would not have affected the outcome :( I'm so, very sorry that they all arrested. I know how devastating it is to see... I'm praying for the embryo you transferred and hope that you can find some peace <3
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
  • I'm so sorry!  I know we had three on day five but they were not blast stage yet, on day six one was a full blast and they froze it, a second one arrested and a third they actually watched until day seven when it arrested.  I was told that it meant they were not strong enough embies.  PP is right that they will freeze on day five or six if it's full blast so I'm guessing the morula's never made it and the blasts were actually pre-blast or just starting blast stage but arrested before full blast.  (((Big Hugs)))  

FX your transfered ones are fighters.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• My clinic only freezes if embryos make it to blast and if it is high enough quality. For IVF #3, we had 8 embryos growing on day 3. On day 5 we had one expanded blast and one early blast and transferred both. We actually had an embryo make it to early blast on day 6, but it was not high enough quality to freeze.

The only thing I have read about embryos that arrest later is that it could be a sperm issue.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• I somehow missed that you did get to transfer - FX that it sticks and you won't need your WTF appt!!!
    ***signature/ticker warning***
    Me:37 DH:39
    TTC#1 since 3/2012

Diagnosis : Unexplained Infertility

3 BFN rounds Clomid + IUI
    IVF 1 - BFN, 1 Frozen
    IVF 2 - BFN, 5 Frozen
    FET 1 - BFP!!! EDD 1/24/15 Beta 1: 700, Beta 2: 2,156; 1st U/S 6w3d: HB 118bpm, 2nd U/S 9w3d: HB 171bpm

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm sorry for the outcome of your embies and for what you are going through. FX that the one transferred beats the odds and is your sticky embie.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• The ups and downs of IF are the worst.  I had good retrieval numbers, bad fertilization rates, but still a BFP, but then a loss.  Don't they know we are women on hormone supplements?  As if this all weren't nerve racking enough - we are all officially chemically imbalanced, and by our own doing!!!
    8-}
    I'm sure you've already heard this a million times, but I'm only saying it because it's true.  It only takes one.  I hope with all my heart that this is your ONE.

[-O<

*** Ticker Warning ***

Me: 37, DH: 39, TTC 5 yrs

2013 summary: Diagnosed with Hypothyroid; Cervical polyp removed (benign); 
    2 rounds ovidrel with timed intercourse (no result): 3 rounds IUI with clomid + ovidrel (no result)
    2014 summary (to date):
    IVF cycle 1 - ER: 4/17 (28 follicles, 3 fertilized, 2 survived to day 3);
    ET: 4/20 (3rd day, 2 embryos - 1 @ 6 cells & 1 @ 4 cells); Beta 5/1 - BFP!; 
    1st scan 5/13 - development behind, no heartbeat detected; D&C 6/2; WTF 6/13
    IVF cycle 2 - BCP begun 7/12; stims w/ HGH begun 7/26; 
    ER: 8/6, 12 follicles, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI; ET: 8/11, 3 blastocysts left, 2 transferred, 3rd arrested 8/12 - none to freeze :'(
    1st beta 8/19 - BFP! 294; 2nd beta 8/26 - 4976; 1st u/s 9/2; 2nd u/s 9/9 - two little heartbeats at 140 each!!! 
    EDD: 29-April-2015
    Other Meds: Synthroid 100 mcg/daily

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't have much else to add but I just wanted to say I'm sorry that you didn't end up with any frosties.  (((hugs)))  I'm keeping my fx really hard for the one that you did transfer!!
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • taralatarala member
    ***BFP warning***

I can totally sympathize with you. Of our 15 embryos, 13 fertilized (7 with ICSI 6 with IVF). Everything looked great- even at day 3- and we had a 5 day transfer scheduled. Day 5 rolls around and we were left with a morula and a very early blast- which she didn't even grade. I have seen what perfect AA embryos looked like and both of ours were not that. We had 3 still developing but all arrested at morulas the following day. I was totally gutted. How could none have reached full blastocyst stage when they all looked great? I was thinking we would have some to freeze, but were left with nothing.

To give you some hope: one of those they implanted stuck! I am 6w4d today! While I can't answer why his happened, please hold out hope on your transferred embie! I was ready to move on to a secondary clinic when I got my BFP!

Before I did the transfer one of the nurses saw I was upset and said to me- remember, we can't always tell the outcome by what the picture looks like. So true!

Good luck!

Ella Rose

1/17/15 born via IVF w/ ICSI

Spontaneous Twins!

Due January 2016

Follow our Journey

• Thank you guys so much <3 Honestly, I don't know how I could get through all of this shit without you!!! 

Something I was wondering is that alot of you mentioned that they only freeze if they get to blast, but I was told that we *had* 4 blasts (including the one we transferred)? So were they maybe waiting so they could freeze them all together or something? They pointed out that we had 3 morulas as well, so they wouldn't have divided them otherwise, no? I think I'm even more confused now! Or maybe I'm just grasping at straws to try and find an answer in all this shit. I was so upset when the embryologist called, that I couldn't think of any questions, I just was in shock! I wonder if I call tomorrow if they'll let me talk to them?
    image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***

• I have called our embryologist numerous times (for a different situation), and each time I spoke directly to her.  She even let me come in to meet with her and go over some things.  Definitely call.  I know it won't change what happened, but it might give you the answers you need.  ((hugs))
  • tptbabe said: 

Something I was wondering is that alot of you mentioned that they only freeze if they get to blast, but I was told that we *had* 4 blasts (including the one we transferred)? So were they maybe waiting so they could freeze them all together or something?

****STUCK IN QUOTE BOX****

I believe you said you did a Day 3 transfer, yes? At that point, the most advanced name you would get would be "early blastocyst." An early blastocyst has not yet fully expanded, or begun to hatch. Typically, you cannot assign a blastocyst grade at this point, as it has not yet reached "full" blastocyst. Does that make sense? It's not standard to freeze until they've reached Day 5 or 6.

I don't know any RE who would wait to freeze a fully-grown, Day 5/6 blastocyst. They're frozen separately anyway, so there would be no reason to wait. 
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    19-year history of endometriosis. Multiple surgeries and cyst removals. Forced directly into IVF due to blocked tubes and severe adhesions.
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #1 - Dec 2013 - Only 1 normal. Ended in CP
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #2, at CCRM - March 2014!
    14R, 12 ICSI'd, 11F, 6 for CCS, 5 healthy blasts frozen!
    Two 5BB blasts transferred 9/10; First beta 9/19: 109; second beta 9/22: 550!
    EDD: 5/29/15

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think you had a 3dt? If that's the case, then there's still work for your embryos to do before they're ready to (hopefully) implant. You can grow embryos out in the lab up until that point. Once they're ready to implant, you have to either transfer or freeze. But up until then, the embryologist can watch what they do (and learn a lot from what they see). It is so very hard to sit back and watch, but I think the way your doc had you do it was for the best. You transferred your best one, so hopefully that's your winner!

If I were you, I'd call your doctor to ask him to explain the embryology report to you. You're not being silly, obviously it's not going to change the outcome, but it will hopefully ease your mind to know what is really going on.

Sending hugs and good luck vibes to you & your embryo!
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day

imageimageimage

• Definitely going to call tomorrow, thanks ladies!

It was actually a 5-day transfer, not 3. On day 3, we still had 13 embryos growing strong, so they said that they were going to wait until day 5 to transfer a blast.
    image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***

• Ah, ok. It's possible and somewhat common to have slow growing embryos. So perhaps that's why the confusion. I hope you get some answers and I'm sending more love your way for you & your embryo!
    **SIGGY WARNING**

imageimageimage

• mm29mm29 member
    (((Huge hugs)))

Recently we did a donor egg cycle we had 30R, 23M, 15 fertilized. If I remember correctly out of those 15 we had 6 or7 perfect embryos, 4 or 5 that looked good, and with the rest not looking great. By day 5 we did not have any blasts, 4 expanded overnight and which were biopsied for PGD and frozen.

At our WTF my RE explained that from fertilization to day 4 it's the women's genome that drives the growth of the embryo and the male genome kicks in thereafter. When an embryo falls behind after day 4 to day 5 it is due to MFI.

I have severe DOR and from the beginning RE's indicated our issue was the egg, but it wasn't until we changed REs and did a DE cycle that our MFI was discovered. We knew going into our cycle DH had a balanced translocation, but she indicated that would not affect the embryo quality, and that the embryos falling behind and arresting were due to a sperm issue.

I hope speaking with your embryologist will help bring some light to your situation.

I have everything crossed the one you transferred is your sticky baby. GL and lots of PPVs headed your way!
    ::: Married June 2003:::
    TTC #1 since: Aug. 2008
    Me: 34, DOR, MTHFR-A1298C (heterozygous), decreased blood flow to uterus, Mild Endo
    DH: 38, Balanced translocation 5&10, unexplained MFI, normal SA and SCSA
    Tx History: IUI 1&2= BFN
    IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
    IVF# 2: cancelled d/t no response
    IVF# 3= 1 egg retrieved=immature/not viable
    IVF# 4= c/p
    ***CCRM ODWU***
    Found DHs BT and Me-decreased blood flow to uterus
    Recommended DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. Decided to cycle locally
    ***New RE***
    DE IVF# 1(cycle #6) w/pgd, (freeze all): 30R, 23M, 15F, slow/poor embryo development, 4 biopsied, 1 Normal "Norm"; DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. 
    IVF# 6: (OE/DS) cancelled
    IVF# 7: (OE/DS) 1R, 1M, 1F, arrested day 5
    Plan-DE IVF# 2 (cycle #8): DE/DS in May 2015

http://icanhazbabyz.blogspot.com/
    imageimage image 
  • ksgsmuksgsmu member
    Previous poster summed it up nicely... When they arrest late that is the part driven by the sperm. I would ask your embryologist about that.
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Ah, I had thought that it was after day 3 that the sperm came into play?

While I was typing this, the embryologist called back. She said that it could be any number of reasons, but when I asked her what some of those reasons could be, she said "I don't know". I'm not sure if that's an acceptable response?

In addition, I found out that they didn't actually transfer a blast. I was told that a grade 1 was the best grade (with their scale) and that's what they transferred, but in reality it was a pre-blast (but not a morula somehow?) that they transferred. Turns out a 4 is actually the best? So now I'm even more confused. She said that they have no way of knowing if the one they transferred had arrested as well, but that it likely had the same issues as the others.

Basically, she refused to talk to me. Now I'm pissed off AND upset.

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***

• OMG, @tptbabe........ I'm so sorry that the embryologist isn't giving you accurate information. It sounds like she's making this so much worse by being so confusing! I'm so sorry :( 
    **SIGGY WARNING**

imageimageimage

• It is!!! I'm just so pissed off and upset right now, and there's absolutely nothing I can do. I hate not being in control of things, so this is already difficult for me.

I'm sorry to lay out all my emotions and anger here right now. I know that I should be happy that we at least got to transfer one, but I just feel now like they transferred it so that they wouldn't have to refund part of our cost. DH confirmed to me that they told us that we had 4 blasts and 3 morulas (and what their grading system was), so I know I'm not losing my mind. But the embryologist told me (today) that none of them were actually blasts, so I just don't have any hope left at all really :(

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***

• mm29mm29 member
    tptbabe said:

It is!!! I'm just so pissed off and upset right now, and there's absolutely nothing I can do. I hate not being in control of things, so this is already difficult for me.

I'm sorry to lay out all my emotions and anger here right now. I know that I should be happy that we at least got to transfer one, but I just feel now like they transferred it so that they wouldn't have to refund part of our cost. DH confirmed to me that they told us that we had 4 blasts and 3 morulas (and what their grading system was), so I know I'm not losing my mind. But the embryologist told me (today) that none of them were actually blasts, so I just don't have any hope left at all really :(

I think you should ask for the embryologist report.  ((more hugs)) 
    Me: 34, DOR, MTHFR-A1298C (heterozygous), decreased blood flow to uterus, Mild Endo
    IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
    IVF# 4= c/p
    ***CCRM ODWU***
    Recommended DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. Decided to cycle locally
    ***New RE***
    DE IVF# 1(cycle #6) w/pgd, (freeze all): 30R, 23M, 15F, slow/poor embryo development, 4 biopsied, 1 Normal "Norm"; DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. 

imageimage image 
  • Aw, I'm so sorry you're not getting more helpful information.  I would be pretty upset about that.  I have been known to be "that patient" - I would personally call and call until I got the information that I needed, which you deserve.  Not sure if that's your doctor or the embryologist, but I wouldn't stop until someone tells me something I can understand.  You deserve to know the full story, what happened - to the best of their knowledge, etc.  I am sorry they're being so difficult to work with.  Sending lots of (((hugs))) your way, and still keeping my fx hard for the one you transferred!
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mm29 said:
    tptbabe said:

It is!!! I'm just so pissed off and upset right now, and there's absolutely nothing I can do. I hate not being in control of things, so this is already difficult for me.

I think you should ask for the embryologist report.  ((more hugs)) 
    I agree that you should ask for the embryology report. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know the worst part is feeling helpless and out of control... I'm still praying for you and sending so many hugs. 
    **SIGGY WARNING**

imageimageimage

• HernsyHernsy member
    I agree - I think you should get your embryology reports.  Don't let them brush you off.  That's your data and they have to give you a copy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • taralatarala member
    **BFP warning***

It seriously sounds like you went to my embryologist! She was so short with me when I called on day 6 to check on my remaining embryos. Her response: I would have called you if anything made it. No actually you were supposed to call me regardless like you said because it's cruel to not call someone when regarding embryos. And she gave me the same bs about not being able to grade the embryos she transferred and not knowing why they arrested. She never actually answered any of my questions.

I really completely sympathize with you. Even though I got a bfp at this clinic, I would not go back there. One reason is because of the embryologist. She was horrendous.

Also, I did a lot of research on this. Sounds like you had a very early blast like I did. It's the stage between a morula and a full blast. It cannot be frozen but is more progressed than a morula.

Please try to stay positive! It can still happen! Fingers crossed!

Ella Rose

1/17/15 born via IVF w/ ICSI

Spontaneous Twins!

Due January 2016

Follow our Journey

• Thanks everyone! I took your advice and asked for a copy of my embryology report today, but didn't hear back yet. I'm unavailable all day tomorrow, so I doubt I'll hear anything before Friday =/

@tarala - What the shit?!?!?! I kind of want to cunt-punch your embryologist! What a terrible thing to say!
    image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***

• mm29mm29 member
    Please keep its posted!! I'm sorry you have to go through this!
    IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
    IVF# 4= c/p
    ***CCRM ODWU***
    ***New RE***

imageimage image 
  • I'm so sorry to hear this, but I'm praying for the one that you transferred. Hoping you get some answers on the others.
    TTC since May 2012
    Me: 32 H: 31
    DX: MFI-Very Low Count, I have Hashimotos.
    IVF prep September 2013 cancelled due to Ovarian Cyst
    IVF #1 October 2013 Antagonistic Protocol with ICSI  ER 10/31/13 (18R 16M 11F- 6 blasts to freeze)
    ET delayed due to OHSS 
    FET scheduled for July 8. Delayed due to a crazy high TSH (it had been under control for YEARS!)
    FET #1 8/5/14 sET BFN 

All welcome!
  • UPDATE!

So, I finished a little earlier than I thought, and they sent me the report, but I don't really know what it all means? So maybe somebody here can shed some light on it? I can see that 6 out of the 13 were still 10-cell or below (most at 7-cell), and there were 3 morulas on day 5. Some of them are graded as blasts though, so here's what they were at (Day5/Day6)

1CC/2CC

2CCg/2CCg (arrested I guess?)

1BC (this is the one they transferred)

1BC/2CC

One morula also went to 1CC by day 6. So, I'm confused because I don't know how the grading system works (they gave me 2 different versions) but obviously one went to blast from morula, so why didn't they freeze that one?

I had a message from the nurse that if I had any more questions that I was to wait until my WTF with my Dr. So I guess they really just don't want to talk to me? WTF isn't for 3 more weeks!

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***

• mrscswmrscsw member
    How frustrating!  I am sorry you are going through this.  Snuggle in embie!!!!

My TTC Story:

Me: 40,DH: 48, Married 10/07/2011, TTC since 09/2011, 03/2012 Started Clomid, 04/2012
    Clomid, 05/2012 Clomid, 06/2012 Went to RE, he found a plum size fibroid in uterus, husband has low sperm count, 06/06/2012 Removed fibroid, 08/2012 Hysteroscopy
    IVF #1 October 2012 - Retrieved 8 eggs, 5 fertilized, 10/13/2012 Transferred 3 embryos - 8, 5, and 4 cells,
    the other 2 eggs did not survive freezing, 10/26/2012 BFP!! Beta: 11, 10/26/12 Beta: 2 = Chemical Pregnancy
    IVF #2 - March 2014 - Mini IVF - Retrieved 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, 4 Frosties - 8, 9, 7, and 7 cells all in good condition. 

IVF #3 - May 2014 - Mini IVF - Retrieved 2 eggs, 2 fertilized, 2 Frosties - 6 and 8 in good condition. 
    FET #1 - September 2014 - Transferred 2 embryos - both 8 cells - BFN

FET#2 - November 2014 - Transferred 2 embryos - BFN

FET#3 - February 2014

*PAIF/SAIF Welcome*

image image  image image   image image

• I can tell only imagine how frustrated you must be! Another 3 weeks is a long time to wait and wonder. At least they sent you the report so you can really think of what questions to ask and have your own copy to refer to when you do meet with the doc.

Sorry I do not have any insight to offer. My lab uses a different grading system and they are willing to freeze early blasts and good looking morulas on Day 5 instead of discarding them or waiting until Day 6. All labs are different, I guess.

Good luck getting answers! I wish your lab wasn't making this so difficult for you!

*************Siggy Warning. Loss mentioned.************

Me: 36, DH:37

Married 4/2010, TTC since 7/2011

Dx: Officially Unexplained (I have Polycystic Ovaries diagnosed via ultrasound, but few classic PCOS symptoms, he has mild MF issues. So... not issue free, but nothing so severe as to explain IF)

I also deal with post-surgical Hypothyroidism following Thyroid Cancer in 2009, but under control with Levothyroxine

4 months Clomid (thinned lining) and 10 months Letrozole (every indication that I responded perfectly)

6 failed IUIs in 2013, 3 with trigger

IVF #1 in March 2014

ER 3/21/14, 31R/21F, 12 frosties!

ET 3/26/14, 1 perfect blast transferred: BFN

FET#1 5/28/14, 2 "beautiful" early blasts transferred. BFP!!

Beta #1 (6/11/14) 798; Beta #2 (6/18/14) 7,966.

1st u/s (6/25/14) showed 2 sacs, 1 empty & 1 with a beautiful little bean doing what it needs to do!

EDD 2/14/15, missed miscarriage, DX: Trisomy 21. D&C 8/1/14

FET#2 Transferred 3 embies, 2 looking pretty good, one not so much. BFN.

IVF#2 January 2015, tentative ER 1/23

• Thanks @spring78! A friend actually sent me a link to a site that explained the grading: https://www.advancedfertility.com/blastocystimages.htm (in case anybody's interested) and it looks like they were blasts, but that they were early ones? (Which is what I was originally told.)

The nurse ended up calling me back and said that she had the email for the embryologist if I wanted it, so I guess they're listening (kind of) now? Now that I know how the grading works now though, I just want to know why they didn't freeze them! She told me that they had all arrested and that's why they didn't freeze them, but the report says otherwise? Sure, they're not fully expanded or anything, but they're not garbage!

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***

• Milagros315Milagros315 member
    edited June 2014
    *************************** siggy warning*******************************

I'm sorry that you've been dealing with this. That embryologist sucks.

My clinic follows the same grading system described on that advanced fertility link. I was told that they will only freeze embryos that are grade 3 or higher. I believe they also want them to be B or better. They might freeze a BC/CB (or AC/CA I guess) but I can't remember if they would freeze a 3CC. The reason they gave me was that if an embryo hasn't made it to a grade 3 by day 6 it most likely will not survive the freeze/thaw or lead to a viable pregnancy.

I hope that helps!

ETA: A similar thing happened with my first cycle. We did a day 5 transfer and were told that we still had 3 early blasts they were watching. We thought that sounded so promising! Then we got the call that nothing was frozen and we didn't understand what happened. At our WTF meeting, our doctor explained that they made it to around 2BC/CB on day 6 and then stopped progressing.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• I'm so sorry. I've never had anything make it to freeze, either, and with both of mine there have been discrepancies between what we were told about our embryos at ET and at the WTF (strangely, when my RE went through the embryologist's reports he told me (and this seemed backed by the rating system) that the embryos transferred were better than what the REs doing the ET said they were. How does that make any sense?

First off, I really, truly hope and pray that you won't need your WTF appointment. But if you do, I hope your RE can help explain what is going on and figure out a plan forward.   

***************************Loss Mentioned***************************

Me 37 y/o, DH 45 y/o; DH vasectomy reversal (his 2nd marriage) 11/8/12; TTC since 12/8/12. IVF due to MFI. DOR diagnosis April 2015.

IVF #1 BCPs/Antagonist w/ICSI Jan 2014 = BFN

IVF #2 MDL w/PICSI March 2014 = BFN

IVF #3 EPP/Antagonist w/PICSI May/June 2014 = BFP!; MMC 6w4d

IVF #4 No suppression/Antagonist Nov 2014/Converted to IUI #1 = BFN
    IVF #4.1 Feb 2015 = cancelled
    IVF #4.2 April 2015 - Lupron Stop Protocol with ICSI = PGD testing of embryo indicated it was abnormal
    IVF #5 June 2015 EPP with Antagonist 

Everyone welcome!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"