June 2015 Moms
Options

name picking difficulty

So my BF and I found out we're having a boy. And so I've wanted to start picking out a name. Well James is a family name so we decided that as the middle name. Well every time I give him suggestions he doesn't like any of mine but doesn't want to give any ideas besides the name Ja'son and I am NOT a fan of that name but I hate to tell him that because it's a name of his child hood friend who died tragically. What should I do? I don't want to name my child something I don't like

Re: name picking difficulty

• Options
    Ja'son, with an apostrophe?

And yeah, you don't name the baby something you don't like. Communicate, compromise.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    Yeah that's tough with a name he's attached to. With my first, the roles were switched (I had a name I was absolutely set on, him not so much) but after he dwelt on it awhile it grew on him. So maybe try to incorporate a part of the name he loves or the initials or something, into something you would be ok with? I also second the idea that you both make lists and go over them together, each of you having veto power for a few. Don't fret, you'll figure it out and you have time :) good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    See that's the thing Ja'son is too close to Jason and that's why I just don't like it. But he shoots down all my suggestions even if I give him a list of 20+ names. And it's pronounced juh-sawn
  • Options
    Maybe Jameson? Kind of merges james and Jason. We always make 2 lists and then slowly try to compromise. It just takes a while and a whole lot of bargaining. :smiley:
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    I HATE the apostrophe! I suggested Jameson but noooo, and no real reason. He just hates everything I pick
  • Options

See that's the thing Ja'son is too close to Jason and that's why I just don't like it. But he shoots down all my suggestions even if I give him a list of 20+ names. And it's pronounced juh-sawn

Oh

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    I HATE the apostrophe! I suggested Jameson but noooo, and no real reason. He just hates everything I pick

I was hoping that was a typo!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    Jameson just makes me think of whiskey.
     FTM - EDD 6/26/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    There is a baby name board. You should take this there.

Pregnancy Ticker

Angel baby 3/2014 at 5.5 weeks
    Angel baby 6/2014 MMC at 7.5 weeks
  • Options
    I just don't want to be that black girl with her kid having a low key ghetto spelled name lol.
  • Options

I just don't want to be that black girl with her kid having a low key ghetto spelled name lol.

Well that's pretty fucking offensive.

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    But I'm black myself haha
  • Options
    And before anyone says I'm racist I'm a black girl adopted into a white family who grew up around Mexicans, white, Asians anything but black constantly made fun of and when people found out I was pregnant all I ever get from people is that I'll have a "ghetto baby name" and I hate that stereotype but I try to laugh at it. Excuse you if you thought my comment towards my OWN race was "racist"
  • Options

And before anyone says I'm racist I'm a black girl adopted into a white family who grew up around Mexicans, white, Asians anything but black constantly made fun of and when people found out I was pregnant all I ever get from people is that I'll have a "ghetto baby name" and I hate that stereotype but I try to laugh at it. Excuse you if you thought my comment towards my OWN race was "racist"

What? Slow down and use punctuation.

And seriously, I give zero, count them, zero shits what color you are. You're still being offensive.

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    It's not like I'm a racist, you calm down. I have a lot of tolerance for racism even though I should not. Forgive and forget. It was a meaningless comment.
  • Options

It's not like I'm a racist, you calm down. I have a lot of tolerance for racism even though I should not. Forgive and forget. It was a meaningless comment.

I'm perfectly calm, thank you.

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    @leenziepops, I think we popped in it a bad time...Jameson is a good name, that's what we are naming our little boy. Jameson Ryan who will hopefully have his daddy's red hair and his mommas everything else! JK! But not about the red hair, I hope he has red hair.
  • Options
    Then don't get your panties in a bunch. Learn to laugh. Makes life a lot more enjoyable
  • Options
    I'm not crazy about ja'son either way. But it's your child.. If you like it go for it.
  • Options
    My BF likes Ja'son I do not. At all. I think it sounds ghetto. Like we thew an apostrophe in to be "different" or "Unique"
  • Options

Then don't get your panties in a bunch. Learn to laugh. Makes life a lot more enjoyable

I laugh all the time, as a matter of fact I'm laughing right now.
    I'm also not wearing panties so no worries about them being bunched.

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    That makes 2 of us laughing then :D
  • Options

My BF likes Ja'son I do not. At all. I think it sounds ghetto. Like we thew an apostrophe in to be "different" or "Unique"

Wtf

Pregnancy Ticker

Angel baby 3/2014 at 5.5 weeks
    Angel baby 6/2014 MMC at 7.5 weeks
  • Options

All I can say is apostrophes should be used only for punctuation to infer possession of something (i.e. That was Charlie's beef jerky) or to abbreviate a word and is (i.e. That's it, I am done explaining punctuation).

That being said, it is your child and feel free to agree or disagree with what the board offers in terms of advice and commentary. I can only state I personally wouldn't name my child that unless you want to help your child explain it's name repeatedly growing up.

• Options
    If I saw Ja'son written out I would think it was pronounced Jason. Your son will have to correct people all his life. 

I'm not even going to touch the rest of this, except to say that the quote button is your friend.
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Check your state laws.... there are actually many states with laws about naming babies. Like there are some states that have # of character limits. Many states do not allow characters like ' or ones over letters..... so maybe that will help your case ;)
    image image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I have an apostrophe in my name (not my FN), and it is a royal pain in the ass for records purposes--everything from credit cards to driver licenses, passports, social security, hospital records, etc. 

So please, for your kid's sake, and speaking from experience: pick a different name.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I'm just going to say this: please, for the love of all that is good in this world, don't put an apostrophe in your son's name. You need to stand your ground on this one. 

You are carrying this baby. Your man does not get all the rights to choose the name. A name like "Jameson" will get your son a lot farther in life than a name like "Ja'son". 

edited for spelling
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"