Cloth Diapering

I will never buy used dipes again.

Well, I just got a NIP BG FT in the mail, and while it's AWESOME. I found a F*#*(%*#ing BEDBUG on it.
I immediately ran to the washing machine and threw it in with bleach in the bleach compartment and Tide on HOT with extra rinses.
I squished the bug with a tissue and flushed it.
I took all the packaging and ran outside to the dumpster with everything.
And I sprayed the chair I was sitting in with Flea pesticide. (Because that's all I had, and I was being irrational)... I really hate chemicals, but holy hell I do not want bedbugs.

Is there anything else I can do?
What the heck. I'm so skeeved out right now.
Can I even use this diaper?
Someone hold me and tell me it's going to be ok.

Dx: Vasa Previa w/DS1
**Tinymin born 8/14 @35w1d**
"Annnnnnd you win the award for best SN evar." -LindsRockies

imageimage

Re: I will never buy used dipes again.

• It was a NIP JULES!
    AGHHHHH.
    Any other diaper and I would have burned it in a hole in the backyard.
    And I opened it and then opened another package from cotton babies and put my new Stellar on top of it.
    They are both currently in the wash on hot with bleach.
    I don't know what to do.
    I need to go take a shower.

imageimage
  • On the bright side, if there is a bright side, I am officially never BSTing dipes again. My husband should be happy about that.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Bed bugs are easily killed in the dryer. That's what they say to do when you come home from a hotel.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bed bugs are easily killed in the dryer. That's what they say to do when you come home from a hotel.
    I thought it wasn't safe to put PUL in the dryer?

imageimage
  • Meh. I mean it causes some wear and tear but it's not going to kill them one time. I put all mine in the dryer regularly. Technically you're not supposed to bleach it, either.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess it's better to risk the dipe than to risk bedbugs lol.

imageimage
  • This post makes my skin crawl. So sorry this happened to you.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image image image
  • My skin is crawling too. UGH.

imageimage
  • Llol
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • I get that you are grossed out, but I would be more worried about the flea pesticide on my chair than the bedbug. You saw it, and took care of it.

I buy everything used, diapers, and clothes. Anything that comes in my house goes immediately into the washer. NBD.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• They are hard to get rid of if they make it into furniture. I would have done the same.

I never thought about bedbugs in diapers. Gross!
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• The fact that this could happen never even occurred to me. Although I have no idea what bedbugs look like.
    Never crossed my mind. It was like a flat apple seed. Kind of like a tick, only flatter.

I usually only buy NIP because I'm afraid of HFM and yeast. Clearly, I was naive.

imageimage
  • Oh no, how horrible! Bedbugs are a real PITA to get rid of... even if you squished the bug, the babies are tiny and transluscent. I imagine the bleach + dryer time would do the trick, but I get the skittishness about it. Bedbugs were going around the homeless shelters in my area and they were starting to come into the ED- not fun!
  • Can you put the diap in a ziploc bag for a week or so make sure they're all dead? I think that works with lice?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • scaggsed said:
    Can you put the diap in a ziploc bag for a week or so make sure they're all dead? I think that works with lice?
    It would take way more than a week!
  • This is so strange. I've read two posts about a similar thing today. Someone posted in a FB diaper group that I'm in that they ended up with a ton of bugs after getting a new diaper order (from a retailer). The initial thought was bed bugs but I'm not sure what ended up happening. She had so many she called an exterminator to deal with it all properly.

• haileyq said:
    scaggsed said:
    Can you put the diap in a ziploc bag for a week or so make sure they're all dead? I think that works with lice?
    It would take way more than a week!
    Darn, I don't know things like this yet... :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• km_md said:
    This is so strange. I've read two posts about a similar thing today. Someone posted in a FB diaper group that I'm in that they ended up with a ton of bugs after getting a new diaper order (from a retailer). The initial thought was bed bugs but I'm not sure what ended up happening. She had so many she called an exterminator to deal with it all properly.
    OMG this is my worst nightmare. I'm about 95% confident that we won't have any issues. I read that 113 degree water for 30 minutes will kill them. I also read that bleach kills them. I bleached in hot hot water (1:45 min cycle), and then in the dryer for 50 minutes. There's definitely none of them on the diaper. I'm just worried if any of them jumped off or anything before I got to washing. It was exposed in my living room (without the polymailer) for probably 2 minutes. Hopefully the vacuuming/ flea spray took care of that.
    So gross.

imageimage
  • If you sprinkle some diatomaceous earth onto your carpet and furniture that should work too. (it acts like tiny glass shards to any bugs or rodents, but is safe for humans and pets)
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you sprinkle some diatomaceous earth onto your carpet and furniture that should work too. (it acts like tiny glass shards to any bugs or rodents, but is safe for humans and pets)
    I read about this too. I'm going to look tomorrow! I feel like a nutcase trying to kill these hypothetical bugs that probably don't exist lol.

imageimage
  • Diatomaceous earth. Get it all over. It massacres bugs. I love it.

Only place I've found it consistently is Ace Hardware. Mine comes in a 4 pound yellow bag. https://m.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1394296 is what I get.

It also kills fleas and ticks. And ants. I really love it.
  • Kelly11235Kelly11235 member
    edited January 2015
    We found DE at Home Depot.
    Usually the sales folk don't know what it is, but if you look you can find it and point it out to them.
  • It really is awesome stuff for all sorts of things. We use it to filter our maple syrup even.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So gross!! DE will be at your local pool and spa stores as well if you can't find it at a hardware store. GL
  • And what do I do with it? Just sprinkle it all over the house?
    (Because I'm overreacting, lol).

imageimage
  • Yes just sprinkle it all over and vacuum it up later.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I saw a show about bed bugs a while back, it was an externator type show. They used some sort of dry ice type thing to spay in corners, crevasses and furniture to freeze them and rupture the cells in the bodies and kill them. After washing I would put it in a ziplock and put it in the freezer for a few hours. Not sure if freezing would hurt the plu, though.
  • Yes, only food grade DE. Pool grade contains extra crap that can cause respiratory issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bought this from home depot: https://m.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1394296

(Same as @velvethelicopters‌ recommended)... is this right? I don't think it's food grade, it has warnings all over it lol... did I get the wrong kind?

Granted, the flea stuff I sprayed on the chair also had these warnings on them.

I'm beginning to think I don't need to do anything else... I feel like I did a really thorough job. Even had that Jules OTB this morning! But I guess sprinkling it on the carpet and chair couldn't hurt, right?

imageimage
  • Since its marketed for pest control rather than pool filters, you should be good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So how long do y'all leave this stuff on the floors before you vacuum it up again?

imageimage
  • My mom did overnight when she had a flea problem
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I usually leave it down overnight, any bug prone areas, I leave it down constantly. The dogs never have flea problems and I don't use any topical junk.

There's nothing icky added, I swear the warnings are for the people who ought to not follow the warnings and win Darwin awards. It's like the warning on my hair dryer "Do not use while sleeping".
  • Well...to be fair....
    You don't want to inhale it, or get it in your eyes.
  • Glad you have it under control. Bed bugs can be such a pain!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"