August 2014 Moms
Options

**Sleep! The good, the bad and the downright terrible

Re: **Sleep! The good, the bad and the downright terrible

• Options
    Well, after our one really good night he has now decided that he must scream at midnight.  He isn't waking up screaming in pain or anything, I just hear him slowly come awake and it escalates to screaming.  It took 2 hours the other night to get him back to sleep.  Last night I did CIO (made sure his paci was always in) and he fell back asleep in less than 30 minutes.  I don't really know what his deal is.  At night we sleep and he's just going to have to learn to like it!

• Options
    How do you know the difference between waking to eat and just waking? Bug gets up once or twice a night and I nurse her. She goes right back to sleep. She has slept through the night a few times, so I know she can... when do I just stop feeding her?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stephy129 said:
    I just checked the moniter and the baby is fully swaddled and rolled on his stomach some time last night! I ran in and he us fine so I didn't disturb him (his head is to the side). Would you stop swaddling at this point? Wpuld one arm out be a safer solution? The anticipated crying makes me nutty already.

Ugg!  Tough one...but I would work on unswaddling, that would made me very nervous!  I don't know if one arm only would help; I would imagine it would be enough to help him lift his head if need be.

Have you tried unswaddling  yet?  I was very supprised when we made the decision to try it actually we VERY well.  3 days of transition and we were done.

• Options
    How do you know the difference between waking to eat and just waking? Bug gets up once or twice a night and I nurse her. She goes right back to sleep. She has slept through the night a few times, so I know she can... when do I just stop feeding her?

Following...to see if anyone has any better suggestions.

I usually turn on DS's turtle projector light when he wakes up in the MOTN, if he doesn't babble himself back to sleep within 10 min with that on, then I feed him.  Like you my DS has slept through a few times but he almost always needs that 3/4 am feed.  I don't mind...he sleeps 13 hours this way!

• Options

do you use a pacifier? I always tried the pacifier first and if he went right back to sleep I knew he wasn't hungry. But if after a few minutes he was crying again I knew that he wanted to eat instead.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Chocotruffle‌ My LO takes a paci. I always try that first. If he didn't need to eat he would take it and go back to sleep. Also, when it no longer worked has been around 4 am or after, so I would not nurse before that time.
  • Options
    Stephy129Stephy129 member
    edited January 2015

Stephy129 said:

I just checked the moniter and the baby is fully swaddled and rolled on his stomach some time last night! I ran in and he us fine so I didn't disturb him (his head is to the side).

Would you stop swaddling at this point? Wpuld one arm out be a safer solution? The anticipated crying makes me nutty already.

Ugg!  Tough one...but I would work on unswaddling, that would made me very nervous!  I don't know if one arm only would help; I would imagine it would be enough to help him lift his head if need be.

Have you tried unswaddling  yet?  I was very supprised when we made the decision to try it actually we VERY well.  3 days of transition and we were done.

--quote fail--

We have tried it and it was horrible. He knocks his pacifier out of his mouth and hit his face and then screams and can't settle down.

did you just go cold turkey?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @chocotruffle If DS wakes before midnight or has been up and nursed within the last 3 hours I try to just rock him back to sleep. If he doesn't easily go back to sleep I nurse. If it's after midnight I assume he's hungry and nurse. He doesn't take a paci.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Stephy129 said:
    Stephy129 said:
    I just checked the moniter and the baby is fully swaddled and rolled on his stomach some time last night! I ran in and he us fine so I didn't disturb him (his head is to the side). Would you stop swaddling at this point? Wpuld one arm out be a safer solution? The anticipated crying makes me nutty already.

--quote fail-- We have tried it and it was horrible. He knocks his pacifier out of his mouth and hit his face and then screams and can't settle down. did you just go cold turkey?

Kind of...we would start him out swaddled (1st night entirely swaddled, 2nd night one arm out, 3rd night both arms out) and then when he woke up for his MOTN feed I changed his diaper and didn't swaddle him back up.  I think he was ready to be done with the swaddle though, and he's never taken a paci.

We had tried to unswaddle a couple weeks prior and he definitely was NOT ready!

• Options
    She doesn't take a pacifier. She gets PISSED if you try to give it to her. We've tried rocking and her crying escalates till she nurses. Half of me wants to ride it out, the other half is wanting to let her CIO.
  • Options
    @Kandreas1‌ what is the sleep sense program?

• Options
    How long should a breastfed baby be able to go at night now? Still 5-6 hours?

• Options
    @Kandreas1‌ keep us posted! I'm also curious about the sleep sense program. What is it?

@belle785‌ it totally depends on the kid and his or her history of growth rate. Mine CAN go 7 hours and I know this because she's done it a few times. Her average is 6 though. I don't think it's unheard of for a 5 month old to go 10-12 hours overnight though. They should average around 25 oz of breast milk per 24 hour period (https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/)

As for us? Our norm lately is bed at 7, up to fuss and complain about it briefly once or twice until 10 and then out until 1-2 to eat and then up at 5 to demand to be fed again and brought into our bed until 8. I guess it could be worse...?
  • Options
    @Kandreas1 all the good vibes for good luck!! Keep us posted!
  • Options
    Kandreas1 said:

Last night DS was up every 50 minutes. So tonight we are starting the sleep sense program. I pray that it works. I may be posting up to the minute updates to keep my sanity tonight. Please forgive me.

I am trying to enjoy this last nap in my Arms as a reminder of how sweet and little he is. But really I have to pee and I am a bit hungry.

Good luck! I'll most likely be back in a few hours and will hope I don't see anything from you!
  • Options
    Kandreas1 said:

Last night DS was up every 50 minutes. So tonight we are starting the sleep sense program. I pray that it works. I may be posting up to the minute updates to keep my sanity tonight. Please forgive me.

I am trying to enjoy this last nap in my Arms as a reminder of how sweet and little he is. But really I have to pee and I am a bit hungry.

Good luck! What is sleep sense? Mine was up every 45 minutes to an hour last night too.
  • Options
    @Kandreas1‌ you can do it! It is so hard to let them cry but sometimes that just has to happen. It doesn't make you a bad parent for wanting your baby to sleep. They need sleep. But also remember it doesn't make you a failure of you pick LO up and decide to try again a different day. Do what feels right for you and your household.
  • Options
    @Kandreas1‌ so sorry! I know it's the worst feeling but he will be ok. He knows you're there!

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• Options
    I'm so sorry, it's just plain awful. :(
  • Options
    I did the sleep lady shuffle and it changed my life!! Never thought I would do any form of CIO but it got to a point where it had to be done.

@Kandreas1‌ I'm so sorry it's the worst:/ he knows you are there! Stay strong! Hugs!
  • Options
    That's a good sign!!

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• Options
    @Kandreas1‌ hopefully the rest if the night will be better. Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    DS slept with me from 2:30 on last night. Not just in my bed but on my chest :( He hasn't been sleeping very deeply the last few nights and last night I just couldn't put him down on his back no matter how many times I tried. We nurse/rock to sleep and put him down fully conked out which is probably not popular but it's worked really well for us up till now. Hope this is just a short term thing and we aren't starting to pay for "spoiling" him.
  • Options
    Kandreas1 said:

Thanks for all the support girls! What would I do with out you!

We had out first wake up...he always Wakes 45 minutes after falling asleep since the regression. Cried softly for 4 minutes and was back out.

That's great! Hoping he sleeps longer stretches for you.

True to form, we were up around 10 and now here we are at 3. DH tapped my shoulder, then squeezed my boob with 10 wake up. I was just hearing her Said he wanted to make sure I heard her. WTF?!? Of course I hear her! The monitor is on my side of the bed! Andplusalso, I hear her just fine when you're traveling, you don't need to wake me now! Third time he's done it. I'm gonna start making sure HE'S up every time if he does it again.
  • Options
    Can I talk about my own horrible night of sleep? DS has been asleep since 7. I wanted to catch up on sleep, so I went to bed at 8. Woke up at 11 sick to my stomach and have spent most of the night in the bathroom. :(
  • Options
    @SoSayWeAll‌ I'm so sorry! Hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    @Kandreas1 Yay!!! So happy for you :)
  • Options
    @Kandreas1 that's good news!

@SoSayWeAll‌ I hope you feeling better.

We swaddled one arm out last night and it went pretty well. I made a taggie before bed and he liked rubbing that on his cheek. We will stick with one arm out for a few days before we do the other arm.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Kandreas1 So glad to hear it!
  • Options
    @kandreas1, just caught up! SOO happy it's working for you. I've been a failure with the CIO. It just doesn't seem right to me at this point even if it's coming down the pipeline. That quote you wrote about CIO not making sense if you end up just nursing to sleep anyway is really great!! I'll have to think about that next time. Just wondering- how old is your LO? I'm going to give mine a couple more weeks and see if she sorts herself out but if not, I might try your method.
  • Options
    dvmmomma said:

@kandreas1, just caught up! SOO happy it's working for you. I've been a failure with the CIO. It just doesn't seem right to me at this point even if it's coming down the pipeline. That quote you wrote about CIO not making sense if you end up just nursing to sleep anyway is really great!! I'll have to think about that next time. Just wondering- how old is your LO? I'm going to give mine a couple more weeks and see if she sorts herself out but if not, I might try your method.

Yes, totally makes sense. I started CIO once my LO stopped nursing to sleep. I feel like sleep training is all about timing and what's right for the family at that point in time. If I would have tried earlier it would have been a disaster as she used to scream being put down but when I started training she was at a point where she would just fuss. Otherwise I totally couldn't have done CIO:(
  • Options
    @Kandreas1‌ very happy and jealous of you!!

• Options
    I just woke up and looked at the monitor and DS was sleeping on his tummy but face planting into the mattress! That really scared me and I went in and nudged his head to the side. He has very strong neck muscles and does a ton of TT, but that really freaked me out!
  • Options
    @*merry* that great news! Hope you are feeling better with more sleep!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Kandreas1‌ Do you nurse and if so, how long was your LO sleeping prior to this regression? I am trying to get LO down to one nursing session overnight but I have no idea when he is truly hungry... He would nurse all the time if he could. And we don't use a paci anymore.

• Options
    @RoccoBabyK‌ that's awesome and gives me hope! We have been nap holders too and decided to work on it next week. Yea for babies learning!
  • Options
    So tonight I guess my LO decided he didn't want to wake every hour and instead sleep for large chunks. I wish he would of told me cause I have spent most of the night looking at him cause I don't know what to do with myself. I can't sleep! I'm just laying her waiting to be needed. Positive and negative, I bet tomorrow won't even be the same :neutral_face:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"