August 2014 Moms
Options

**Sleep! The good, the bad and the downright terrible

Re: **Sleep! The good, the bad and the downright terrible

• Options
    Does anyone LO wake up in the middle of the night to talk to herself? Mine wakes up at around 2am and does fuss just talk, laugh, and wiggle around. I used to think this was cute but now that it wakes me up every night, I'm hoping she grows out of it!

Sometimes she will let out a cry for no reason and then fall back to sleep five seconds later? Scares the crap out of me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried letting them cry it out in your bedroom? DD's room is on the other side of the house and I'm leery about leaving her in it. The wiring doesn't work and needs to be replaced, so that makes me uber paranoid that it will catch fire. An electrician has inspected and says it's safe, but I don't want to take that chance, so for now, we're only comfortable with her in the same room with us.

I did with DD1 but she was much older before I ever let her CIO.

I'm going to try it tonight with DD2 in our room. I, personally, feel more comfortable having her be in our room. That way if it spirals out of control quickly I'm just right there.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Does anyone LO wake up in the middle of the night to talk to herself? Mine wakes up at around 2am and does fuss just talk, laugh, and wiggle around. I used to think this was cute but now that it wakes me up every night, I'm hoping she grows out of it! Sometimes she will let out a cry for no reason and then fall back to sleep five seconds later? Scares the crap out of me.

DS does this, he wakes up singing/talking. He isn't a big crier, so when he lets out a cry I wake up in a panic lol. By the time I turn over to look at him he is back to sleep.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    HeatherHam10HeatherHam10 member
    edited January 2015
    I would like to AW my awesome sleeper! I didn't realize how unusual it was to have a baby who sleeps so well but he goes right to sleep at night usually at 7 and sleeps until 7 with no wakings and has since 2.5 months. He has slept in his crib since 8 weeks And he still naps 4x a day in his crib usually 2 hrs each. The best part is my friend insisted I get all of these sleep training books which I never did...I feel it's all about my baby's personality and he enjoys sleeping nothing I did! Ok AW over.

Me 28 DH 30

After 4+ years TTC

FET #2 = DS Madden Jeffery <3 July 29, 2014 <3
  • Options
    dvmmommadvmmomma member
    edited January 2015
    Kandreas1 said:

Okay. Those of you who were in the four month regression and are over it. Did you change anything or did it resolve its self?

Maybe all coincidence but I just felt Like something had to change so I tried lots of things. Now 3 weeks later we are back to pre regression status (maybe a bit better depending on the night). What ended up happening was fully swaddled in the RnP to completely unswaddled in the crib. Now she sleeps 7-6:30 with one wake up to eat at 3 or so if I'm lucky. If I'm unlucky, throw in an extra wake up at 11 where I have to bounce her back to sleep and it takes a good 30 minutes to get her back down. I think one night there was a 3rd wake up similar to the 11pm one but that night is a blur zzzzzzz
  • Options

I would like to AW my awesome sleeper! I didn't realize how unusual it was to have a baby who sleeps so well but he goes right to sleep at night usually at 7 and sleeps until 7 with no wakings and has since 2.5 months. He has slept in his crib since 8 weeks And he still naps 4x a day in his crib usually 2 hrs each. The best part is my friend insisted I get all of these sleep training books which I never did...I feel it's all about my baby's personality and he enjoys sleeping nothing I did! Ok AW over.

I could cry I'm so jealous.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Options
    abnelsen22abnelsen22 member
    edited January 2015

20 hours of sleep a day? That seems to be quite a bit.
  • Options
    20 hours of day of sleep? That seems to be quite a bit.
    WSS^ This actually sounds like a ton of sleep to me, 12 hours night + 8 hours nap. Babies average 14-15 hours total around now, but ah well ,everyone is different.

image    image
  • Options

Mine only takes two 2 hour naps a day on average.

You're right though, 20 hours does seem excessive.
  • Options

WSS^ This actually sounds like a ton of sleep to me, 12 hours night + 8 hours nap. Babies average 14-15 hours total around now, but ah well ,everyone is different.

Yeah, I'd probably be a bit concerned if my 5 month old was only awake 4 hours of the day.

But it's true, sleep is different for everyone.
  • Options
    Whoa. I didn't even add up the hours. Last time LO slept that much was around 1-2 months.

She's a catnapper though. I'm lucky if she naps an hour. She is awake so much it is scary.
  • Options
    There are magical babies who are totally normal and have insanely high sleep needs.  I know a 4.5 year old who sleeps 12-13 hours at night and naps for 4 hours every day.  That's 16-17 hours for a 4 YEAR OLD.  Completely not the norm and quite honestly I would not like that because how can you do anything fun past noon?

• Options
    @Kandreas1‌ It seems to be resolving itself. Knock on wood!
  • Options
    I've often told myself when I think I might die from exhaustion that I truly would rather my interactive, alert and happy baby that doesn't nap worth a damn vs. one that slept all the time. Truth be told, I miss the lil tadpole when she naps "too long".
  • Options
    I am literally the walking dead.
    BeachM said:

There are magical babies who are totally normal and have insanely high sleep needs.  I know a 4.5 year old who sleeps 12-13 hours at night and naps for 4 hours every day.  That's 16-17 hours for a 4 YEAR OLD.  Completely not the norm and quite honestly I would not like that because how can you do anything fun past noon?

I wish my 3.5 year old would nap. She is literally up between 7:30-8 and is in my face until 8:30.
  • Options
    @HeatherHam10‌

I'm actually very happy for you! That's a great bone to be thrown ;)
  • Options
    We are all just jealous. I know I am.
  • Options
    jamjoyful said:

BeachM said:

I wish my 3.5 year old would nap. She is literally up between 7:30-8 and is in my face until 8:30.
    I feel you. DS1 was a late talker and I was so worried. It never stops now, ever.

• Options
    BeachM said:

jamjoyful said:

BeachM said:

I feel you. DS1 was a late talker and I was so worried. It never stops now, ever.
    She even told me today she was tired but no. She's still running around. Except she's arguing and throwing toys, food, etc. because she is obviously sleepy and needed a nap.
  • Options
    Ok just kind of did a combo of cry it out and pick up/ put down. Made sure DS2 was super tired and drowsy, did our normal routine, nursed him til he was super drowsy. Put him in crib and he cried. I did this 3x. The 3rd time he started crying and I walked out. He cried/ whimpered for about a minute then was asleep... WITHOUT a pacifier!!

I'm sure he will be up in 30 minutes.

• Options
    I started sleep training. I hope she forgives me. I just want to go in and cuddle her! I'm so sad! I just went in to reassure her and she was holding on to the crib bars. My little pumpkin....

• Options
    I don't intentionally do CIO but I feel like LO screams so much during the day that now I am numb to it when I put him down to sleep. He full on screams almost every time I put him down to sleep and I just have to let it happen or he will never give in. On a good night it only lasts a couple minutes though so it isn't too heartbreaking.
  • Options
    She's sleeping! Clutching the sheet saver in anger! I turned on white noise and that helped. I don't want to do it again tomorrow.
  • Options
    Kandreas1 said:

Okay. Those of you who were in the four month regression and are over it. Did you change anything or did it resolve its self?

I went through something but I am not sure it was truly the regression. It was 7 nights and then he went back to his normal. I changed nothing.
  • Options
    I am going to live blog my sleep training stuff here because it is giving me major anxiety. Feel free to ignore.

I put LO in her bed directly after a feeding but awake. She cried quite a bit but we rubbed her belly until she calmed down. Then, her screaming turned pretty desperate so I stayed by her rubbing her head and belly. She fussed but stopped screaming. As soon as she was quiet I stepped away. Now, she is just fussing on and off but seems to be calming down.

I just hope this is the right choice. I don't know what else to do.
  • Options
    jamjoyful said:
    I am going to live blog my sleep training stuff here because it is giving me major anxiety. Feel free to ignore. I put LO in her bed directly after a feeding but awake. She cried quite a bit but we rubbed her belly until she calmed down. Then, her screaming turned pretty desperate so I stayed by her rubbing her head and belly. She fussed but stopped screaming. As soon as she was quiet I stepped away. Now, she is just fussing on and off but seems to be calming down. I just hope this is the right choice. I don't know what else to do.
    Hope it's working out for you even though I know it's hard!

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• Options
    @jamjoyful‌ I'm right there with you tonight. It's a total crap shoot. Let her cry and hope she calms down but maybe she won't but what if she does but what if she doesn't and I'm just making her wonder why her mommy won't pick her up and comfort her. I hate every second of it.
  • Options
    That's exactly where I am at @dvmmomma‌. I don't want her to feel like I'm abandoning her.

It took about 40 minutes but she finally fell asleep for an hour. She's up again to eat and I'm hoping she will just lay down without having to cry again. I just hope it fixes the problem of her having to be held all night. If it doesn't then I made her cry for nothing.
  • Options
    My lo is still snoozing. My mom went in to check her and said she's sleeping with her bum In the air.
  • Options
    Mine was screaming that terrible I'm about to die scream so I scooped her up and spent about 20 minutes rocking and bouncing just to get her to calm down and be almost asleep and then start screaming again (multiple times). Finally hit my point and just laid her in the crib and walked away. 2 minutes later she was silent and just looking around. 10 silent minutes later she was sound asleep. No pacifier the entire time. WTF. babies gonna baby and I'm pretty sure it's all harder on us than it is them no matter what we do.
  • Options
    We are still screaming on and off over here. She will be asleep then scream for five minutes. I put her crib wedge in and that seemed to help. She always slides down it though which makes me nervous.
  • Options
    Ugh. I'm so sorry. It will get better. It has to.
  • Options
    It took over an hour of her just screaming and me checking but she finally fell asleep in her bed. That was terrible. I'll try it again tonight but if the crying time isn't cut down....I'll just give her my bed and sleep on the floor. ;)
  • Options
    First night in the crib with no pacifier... 3 wake ups. No worse than the RnP so I'm happy because it could have been really awful with no pacifier. He woke up about two other times but put himself to sleep. The last wake up was bad around 4 am. He couldn't get settled so we were up about an hour. Now we need to work on going from 3 to 2 feedings. Any suggestions?

• Options
    A question about CIO: When sleep training, if baby wakes up at 5:30 am, and "wake up" time is 7, do you let him cry?  Also, do you still feed in the MOTN?
    August 2014 Siggy Challenge: Motivational Speaking for Moms
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Last night was from hell. All week i thought we are on the upswing of the regression and the night before last LO STTN. Last night we were up. every. hour. I am so tired. I honestly don't think I slept more than a few 30 min stretches. So glad it's Saturday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"