November 2014 Moms
Options

CRYING

BugzeeBugzee member
edited January 2015 in November 2014 Moms
Little man is 8 weeks and the past few nights will absolutely scream like a mad man until he falls asleep. I don't want him to CIO. But I'd love to hear any ideas on how to calm a screaming baby. We try BF, bottle feeding, swaddling, laying down naked, diaper changes, dancing, rocking, singing, the "5 s's"... Seems like everything. At times he'll cry for over 2 hours, help!

Of note, he's on reflux meds, healthy, gaining weight and usually a very happy little chap. He just turns to mush at night. Any superhero mom moves I'm missing?

Re: CRYING

• Options
    I literally jog (gently) around my house when LO is over tired (and therefore inconsolable).
  • Options
    I know it's a bad habit to start but have you tried a car ride? Or sitting the car seat on the washer on the spin cycle?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry you're going through this... I am in the same boat... last night we were up from 1-6 AM with LO screaming (and she is on Zantac). Today, sitting skin to skin with her helped a lot. Also baby yoga has helped and I notice she goes to sleep better when I BF her while both of us are laying down.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    @bloomraiser‌ I haven't actually tried it, I didn't know it was bad :( it has been suggested to me by at least 10 different people; only reason I mentioned it!
  • Options
    BugzeeBugzee member
    edited January 2015
    Knowing it's normal really does help some. I know it's temporary, but man it wears on you. I just feel so helpless. Baby yoga is a great idea! Hadn't thought of the dryer trick.. I guess dangerous just because they could fall?
  • Options
    Not great for the water bill, but if we go in the bathroom and turn the lights off and the bathtub on, LO always quiets right down.

Also fresh air works for us.

Or putting her in the bath.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Pips is 8 weeks today and it's the exact same thing. At 8, for the past 3 nights, she starts fussing. By 9 she's screaming. Doesn't matter what we do. And she doesn't want her Papa, just me so the moment I hand her off to cook dinner, or pee she starts screaming. I can only hope it's a phase that's occompaning her current growth spurt.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My LO just turned 7 weeks and has been doing the same thing for about a week. We've tried everything I feel like and end up just staying up with her until about 5am when she'll finally sleep. Some friends suggested gas drops so tonight we are trying that. We'll see if it works....
  • Options
    I think the dryer thing is only dangerous if you walk away bc the car seat could potentially vibrate off of the unit. But if you stand there with it I don't think it would be an issue.

• Options
    Someone told me yesterday to try running a hair dryer. Probably has the same effect as the sweeper.

The only thing that works for me every time is bath time. Not exactly a way to put him to sleep....but it will quiet him down for awhile.

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I second the vacuum cleaner. I have no idea why it works, but she calms down right away. Unfortunately, vacuuming at 2am isn't really an option when you have 3 other sleeping kids. Wearing her works too, but there's only so much I can do without bending and as soon as I take her out I'm back where I started.

At night I generally end up pacing/bouncing her up and down the hallway. Most of the time it takes around 15 minutes for her to calm down but once she does she's out like a light.

Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• Options
    Vacuum cleaner, hair dryer, shower. All calm my lo down.

• Options
    I second what @kegcrc‌ said about the Bluetooth speaker. It. Is. The. Best. I downloaded Baby Got Colic, an hour long white noise music file and use the speaker to get it to a nice enough volume to fill the room. It really has been a game changer in getting my LO calm as well as fall asleep.
  • Options
    One random thing that often works for our baby is putting a warm hand (ours, not hers) on her forehead and eyes, with a bit of pressure (not enough to hurt by any stretch). It tells her that we are there and she is taken care of, and she usually calms down. Might not work for your baby but sometimes you'll try anything!
    It's a girl! Due November 22, 2014
  • Options
    Have you tried gripe water? My dd is a gassy gal :) and can get fussy in the evening. The gripe water seems to help the tummy.
  • Options
    @budzer‌ and @kegcrc‌ which app is your favorite?
  • Options
    I can't believe I didnt read yoga ball here. We are living on ours sucks for the back but works wonders for calming and putting to sleep.
  • Options
    White noise apps are very helpful as other posters noted! Follow up on the gas drops, have done less than a handful of dosages since yesterday and my LO is so much calmer and slept much better last night :-bd :\">
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"