Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Who here worries that their toddler is "that kid?"

CageyMackCageyMack member
edited January 2015 in Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
22 month old boy that is wild, naughty, devilish, and a scamp.  Yes, he does hug and kiss us, but he might also smack us in the face, pull the dog's nostrils off, yank every single thing on the bookshelf off and run away, naked.  Ask him to not throw the rock?  Yes, he will throw the rock right at you, more than likely. 

I am willing to bet that he turns out just fine, but I have my moments where I wonder if he will grow up to be a jerk.  Anyone else have this irrational fear?  I mean, somebody's kid has to grow up to be rotten, and what makes me so special to think mine is exempt?  :)

And, yes, this is tongue-in-cheek.  Mostly.  But, please, God, let my boy grow up to be a nice guy.

CageyMack
37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

Re: Who here worries that their toddler is "that kid?"

• Options
    Haha. Yes. I always patted myself on the back because my daughter is a sweet, calm, well-mannered little thing... and then came my son. He is reeeeeeally cute, but a beast. I am totally smitten, but no longer patting myself on the back ;)
  • Options
    My DS is often compared to a sour patch kid. He will jump on the couch and then dive off face first so he's told he's no longer on the couch. Then he replies "mommy can I snuggle with you on the couch?"

We basically try to ignore (or not encourage) unappealing behavior and have direct consequences for dangerous or mean spirited behavior.

But I have an older brother that was always somewhat of a selfish ass growing up. Everyone loved him but he did dangerous, stupid things and didn't really consider others feelings. I very much worry that DS will be like my brother because I know so much of it is personality. My other brother and I are fairly normal so parenting is only so much of the battle.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD is the sour patch kid my DS will grow up to be the sweet one lol... She is fresh..doesn't hit but has a WILD attitude
  • Options
    ashiscute said:
    My DS is often compared to a sour patch kid. He will jump on the couch and then dive off face first so he's told he's no longer on the couch. Then he replies "mommy can I snuggle with you on the couch?" We basically try to ignore (or not encourage) unappealing behavior and have direct consequences for dangerous or mean spirited behavior. But I have an older brother that was always somewhat of a selfish ass growing up. Everyone loved him but he did dangerous, stupid things and didn't really consider others feelings. I very much worry that DS will be like my brother because I know so much of it is personality. My other brother and I are fairly normal so parenting is only so much of the battle.
    DUDE.  THIS.  We call our son the Sour Patch Kid, too.  First he's sour, then he's sweet.  Like, he will run at you full-tilt and either bite your behind/knee/whatever's convenient, or head-butt you in the face.  And then he gives this sunny, gorgeous smile, and you're holding a bloody lip trying not to smile back and encourage him.  We've been REALLY trying to be firm in our negative consequences and discouragement for this type of behavior, but my husband roughhouses with him, so he's getting mixed messages.  And I've got two people's behavior I'm trying to adapt.  It's a challenge, for sure.  
  • Options
    From what I've seen the kids that are terrors when young are good as teenagers and vice versa.
  • Options
    I am always hearing from friends and family how tough/rough DD is.  She really can hold her own and is the biggest daredevil - I actually call her stunt double sometimes because it's like she's looking for the best way to scare the crap out of me.  She has a lot of attitude, which my mom says is nothing like me as a toddler (I was shy and quiet) so she must get it from DHs side.  We are working on hitting because she seems to be into that right now, though not really hitting people - she likes to slam her hand down on the table or the floor.  And she's a runner so I usually get a workout in the grocery store.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"