September 2014 Moms
Options

EBF Milk Supply Getting Low

I feel like my milk supply is slowing down a lot! LO is 15 weeks, EBF and I'm worried he's not getting enough because my breasts just do not feel as full anymore. My husband gives him a bottle (of breastmilk) at night for bed while I pump. I only get 2oz now! :( Anyone else experiencing this? I was hoping to EBF til he's 1!

Re: EBF Milk Supply Getting Low

• Options
    What were you getting before? Are you drinking plenty of water eating enough and getting sleep? Have you recently been more stressed lately?

I thought I was having a dip in supply but I started drinking way more fluids and that made a huge difference.
  • Options
    I am having the same issues too :( going to try to really keep an eye on my water intake

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I only ever get 2.5-3 oz when I pump. I wish it were more but LO doesn't seem unsatisfied. I do need to make sure I eat and drink enough. I find myself forgetting quite a bit. I definitely don't get enough sleep!
  • Options
    Besides not pumping much does your lo seem unsatisfied? Fussing at breast or waking up more at night? If not your supply is probably fine. Here are some articles from kellymom.
    https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/
    https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/pumping_decrease/

Hope that helps. I was worried too about supply recently but I just watched DD. She didn't wake up more, fuss more or have less diaper output so I know she is fine. I just have to work harder while pumping. I watch videos of her or put a blanket that smells like her on my lap. Sounds weird but it works. Also stressing over it will make the problem worse since you won't let down. Try putting your cover on and watching tv so you can't see your output until the 20 minutes is up. Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DS is almost 14 weeks and my breasts don't feel as full anymore either. But he seems satisfied. Keep in mind that LO is better than any pump. Agreed with PP to not look and stress over how much while pumping.

• Options
    I usually only pump 3-4 oz after a few hours too.  I wouldnt worry too much.  If your LO starts showing signs of being unsatisfied or is losing weight then you can try a few things to boost supply like fenugreek or more milk plus, but untill then just keep drinking lots of water and making sure you are eating lots of protiens
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options
    cls0602cls0602 member
    edited January 2015
    I don't pump often but I did recently and got 1 oz in 10 min from the breast I just fed him on (I only do one side per feeding) and 3 from the one I didn't use. I don't know what's normal but I felt like that wasn't a lot... My son usually eats for 20. I stopped after 10 because I only wanted 4 oz anyway, I assumed by a "milk calculator" he doesn't eat more than that.
  • Options
    I've read and now been told at around 3 months your supply begins to regulate to your babys specific needs so you won't feel 'full' or 'engorged' anymore but your supply should be about the same. I've found it goes up and down but try and stay hydrated and lo will get what he/she needs. I got sick and it dropped way low, but fluids and just keeping him on the boob brought it back up.
  • Options
    I know I rarely feel full anymore, so I think it's just everything regulating.  As long as baby seems satisfied and is having enough wet diapers, you should be good.

If you're still concerned, try adding some Gatorade or something with Electrolytes (Smart Water, coconut water, Advocare Rehydrate, Powerade, etc).  I've read that a lot of women have in increase in output with that.  Also, oatmeal, massage when pumping, lactation cookies, etc. Also, like PP said, look at photos of LO, watch videos, hold something of his, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"