January 2015 Moms
Options

Vivienne Rose's birth story

elleswarthelleswarth member
edited December 2014 in January 2015 Moms
I posted a few times about my induction day, and how I wasn't sure it was going to happen because the hospital I work at and delivered out of is small and was booked. My doctor took it into her own hands after having me come to the ER saying I was having contractions and broke my water while checking my cervix, so I would have to stay. That happened at 10:30am.

We started pitocin about an hour later because I was having contractions but making zero progress, despite them being full, long and painful. Epidural came shortly after, but wasn't a full on intrathecal epidural because of my allergy to morphine and their concern of what fentanyl would do to me in that space in my spine. Due to this, it didn't cover my entire lower half very well, and I had extreme pain (felt like crazy intense muscle spasms and cramps) down the back of my thighs and in my butt cheeks with each contractions. Bizarre.

At 4:00pm, my nurse checked me and I was complete and felt the urge to push. After 30 minutes and no tearing or complications, Vivienne Rose made her entrance into this crazy world at 4:36pm, weighing 7.5lbs, 21in long. Very close in size to her older sister. The placenta was delivered and that was the most amazing feeling. I felt like I had my body back that moment, like a weight was lifted. My doctor said "this is a pretty raggedy looking placenta. Good thing we got her out when we did."

She has been doing wonderfully, eating well and is the cutest thing I've ever seen! I have no pain, other than soreness where my epidural was. Unfortunately, my hemoglobin was only 9 when we started (normal is 12-15), and this morning it was 6.3. When patients come to my floor that low, it's usually a panic and we start blood immediately. They just started a transfusion on me, and hopefully I will only need one. If this unit of blood does its job, we will be able to go home tonight after her 24 hour newborn screen. I am so happy that our journey has come to end an with a happy ending. Thank you all for your support along the way!!!

Re: Vivienne Rose's birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"