July 2014 Moms
Options

Does everyone have a rolling baby?

Spencer will be 6 months on Jan 9th. He rolled over (front to back) the beginning of November, then a few times after that. He has rolled from back to front a few times in the last few weeks but nothing since! During tummy time, his little legs and arms are moving a mile a minute and he can "scooch" while he is on his tummy. I read somewhere that by 6 months if there isn't much rolling, then it could be a concern. 

Does everyone have a roller?? Are we alone :(

Re: Does everyone have a rolling baby?

• Options
    We roll sporadically. Only back to front though. I've never seen her go front to back :-/ I think it's if they've never rolled over at all that you have to be concerned... Do you have a pedi appointment coming up?
  • Options
    I've also got a sporadic roller. He really isn't into it. I think he may skip crawling and just walk. Being on his feet is his favorite. If yout MD isn't worried you're fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine will be 6 mo in the fourth. He rolls back to front almost immediately during playtime, but has rarely rolled front to back
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    We'll have his 6 month appt coming up so I will be asking then. He does prefer standing to anything else, maybe we'll be jumping right into walking. Who knows?!
  • Options
    We are in the same boat. DS just shows no interest. He did FTB a little after 3 months but now he only goes to his side from his back. I know he could do it if he wanted but just has no interest. He likes standing and is getting very good at sitting on his own. I joke that he will be running before he can roll over.

I'm not super worried but plan on talking to the dr in a couple weeks at our 6 month visit. I just consider it a blessing that he still stays mostly where I put him.
    First Baby and a complete surprise.
    Hubby has decided to be team green so we are driving friends and family crazy!
  • Options
    Nope. She's just over 5 months. Gets to her side, then gives up. We gotta work on it some more
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    No rolling here! She has been working on getting up to her side and we will help her roll front to back/back to front. She just turned 5months a couple days ago - I'm not concerned, I'll bring it up to the pedi at our next visit but so far she has done everything at her own pace.

Edit: words
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    DD has rolled FTB since she was a month old and BTF at 3 months, but she rarely does it now. She always rolls FTB during TT and shows zero interest in crawling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS2 had been rolling back to front sporadically for about a month. He turned 6 months on 12/18 and just this last week start rolling all over the place

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    LO rolls to his back from tummy time on rare occasions and back to front only in his crib when he's doing gymnastics in there.  It should be noted that he's hardly ever in his crib since he sleeps in the RNP.  

So basically baby CAN roll, but generally chooses not to.  He is also held a lot of the day so probably isn't getting as much practice as other babies...

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 

• Options
    We do once and awhile. Some days he'll roll right over for tummy time, probably to try to get out of tummy time. Most days he'll either scooch, eat his hands or scream. Today he looked like he was trying to swim. 

I'm not overly concerned, I make note of it because of his very low birth weight and prematurity I want EI if we need it. 
  • Options
    DD rarely rolls. She loves to sit, though. I'm not too concerned but will ask the pedi about it when she has her 6 month shots next week.
  • Options
    Our DS is a big roller.
    DD never rolled or crawled, she was walking by 10 months. Your baby will be doing other things so that will amaze you. No worries.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    DS 2 is a Rollie Pollie for sure at 5 1/2 months. He has been pushing up on hands and knees this week. Remember every baby develops differently.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Skipping crawling is not a good thing. Crawling helps develop hand, neck, back, leg, etc. muscles that are essential for proper development as they grow. This comes from my friend whom has spent nearly 15 years in pediatric physical therapy. Crawling should be encouraged.

• Options
    argonne said:

Skipping crawling is not a good thing. Crawling helps develop hand, neck, back, leg, etc. muscles that are essential for proper development as they grow. This comes from my friend whom has spent nearly 15 years in pediatric physical therapy. Crawling should be encouraged.

Your friend spent 15 years of dealing with children in which they had an existing issues on movement to begin with. She dealt with their therapy and got them on the right track. So in their case that "may" be true.

For thousands of other babies, this is not the case. Because they do not crawl, does not mean they will be missing proper development as you say she says.

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options

argonne said:

Your friend spent 15 years of dealing with children in which they had an existing issues on movement to begin with. She dealt with their therapy and got them on the right track. So in their case that "may" be true.

For thousands of other babies, this is not the case. Because they do not crawl, does not mean they will be missing proper development as you say she says.
    I'm sure you speak from professional experience. A lot of the problems she's seen as far as hand, arm and back strength have stemmed from missing certain developmental steps such as crawling. She specializes in infants and toddlers. She says that a lot of one year olds that lack the strength in these areas, she focuses on making them crawl or use similar movements.

• Options
    All three of mine have been slow with their gross motor skills. Rolling, crawling, walking. They figured it out eventually and in the meantime less movement can make my life a bit easier. Got to look at the bright side, right?
  • Options
    argonne said:

argonne said:

I'm sure you speak from professional experience. A lot of the problems she's seen as far as hand, arm and back strength have stemmed from missing certain developmental steps such as crawling. She specializes in infants and toddlers. She says that a lot of one year olds that lack the strength in these areas, she focuses on making them crawl or use similar movements.
    Just as you speak from experience as well? You are speaking on her behalf.
    I'm not doubting anything she has experienced from being in that industry. However, my point was its just not the case for all babies. They will gain those "missing motor skills" in other ways.

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    argonneargonne member
    edited January 2015

Your friend spent 15 years of dealing with children in which they had an existing issues on movement to begin with. She dealt with their therapy and got them on the right track. So in their case that "may" be true. For thousands of other babies, this is not the case. Because they do not crawl, does not mean they will be missing proper development as you say she says.
    Just as you speak from experience as well? You are speaking on her behalf. I'm not doubting anything she has experienced from being in that industry. However, my point was its just not the case for all babies. They will gain those "missing motor skills" in other ways.

****STUCK****

I am not saying that babies who skip crawling are doomed, just that crawling should be encouraged.  Here is a paragraph that pretty much sums up this belief:

"Along with strengthening the trunk, shoulders and hand muscles, the mechanics of crawling stimulate different areas of the brain that are important for future learning. When a child begins crawling, this repetitious movement helps stimulate and organize neurons, allowing her brain to control cognitive processes such as comprehension, concentration and memory. When an infant crawls, she visually determines where she wants to go and physically moves in that direction. Her hands become the guides and the child's first test of hand/eye coordination becomes established. This skill set is used later in life for reading, writing and sports activities.

Another important piece of development that occurs during the crawling stage is binocular vision. This involves training the eyes to look off into the distance and then back at the hands while crawling. Binocular vision is used when a child needs to copy something from a blackboard at school. Crawling is also a cross lateral movement that strengthens both the left and right side of the brain, allowing increased communication between the two sides of the brain and enhancing learning."

From: https://www.medcentral.org/main/Whatssoimportantaboutcrawling.aspx

• Options
    argonneargonne member
    edited January 2015
    Also, the medical field tends to be split on whether crawling is necessary vs. not, as their are no studies proving either argument, just lots of correlation (correlation does not equal causation).  However, there are still a lot of benefits to crawling (stated above) that suggest it should be encouraged.  In other words, crawling, for sure, isn't bad, but skipping it may or may not be bad.

When DS was this age, there were a lot of women on The Bump bragging about skipping crawling and how that made their baby oh, so advanced.  That's more of what brought on my initial post.  I was like, "here we go again".

• Options
    argonne said:

Also, the medical field tends to be split on whether crawling is necessary vs. not, as their are no studies proving either argument, just lots of correlation (correlation does not equal causation).  However, there are still a lot of benefits to crawling (stated above) that suggest it should be encouraged.  In other words, crawling, for sure, isn't bad, but skipping it may or may not be bad.

When DS was this age, there were a lot of women on The Bump bragging about skipping crawling and how that made their baby oh, so advanced.  That's more of what brought on my initial post.  I was like, "here we go again".

Well now you said two different things. First was "skipping crawling is not a good thing". Now it's "skipping crawling is not a bad thing".
    I don't mean to seem bitchy, I was just pointing out that's it ok. Again, I get what you and your friend are saying.

Also, I highly doubt that anyone in this thread was saying that their baby is more advanced from skipping crawling. We were writing to OP, not to worry, that as we've heard 100X's before each baby is different and her baby would be just fine. It's unfortunate that that's what you thought we were saying.

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    Yes, @TexasGirl81‌, I stand by my word that skipping crawling is not a good thing. However, I said that in the sense that it is not something to be proud of/brag about, which is the sense that I intended. I know that it didn't come off that way and I'm sorry.

• Options
    darkangel42darkangel42 member
    edited January 2015
    JUST DELETE MY CONTENT
  • Options
    I've never seen my LO roll, but he's an August baby.
    imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14
  • Options
    We have a rolling fool. He started a few weeks ago and just keeps going. He haaaated tummy time for a really long time and now he only fusses on his tummy because he wants to crawl soooo bad and can't figure it out. He has even been rolling onto his stomach to sleep for the last week or so. He will be 6 months on Sunday.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    DS1 rolled and never stopped. DS2 seems to be more content to be stationary so he'll go days acting like he can't even pick his face up off the floor and then the next day roll over like it's NBD. He still hasn't gone back to front yet (he turned 5 months last week).
  • Options
    Well, we've had a few rolling sessions over the last 2 days, he's rolled both ways a couple of times. I know he can do it, it just seems like he doesn't wanna do it. Rolling BTF is a little harder because he doesn't know enough yet to move his arm out of the way. 
    It is what it is. I suppose I should enjoy the last few days/weeks before he becomes a moving machine. 
  • Options
    DD is stated rolling like nuts. I feel like as soon as I posted here that it was sporadic, that was the end. The worst is during nap time or sleeping at night. Once she's over it's almost like she is afraid to put her head down so she wakes up and fusses. We've had some rough nights the last week or so.

She has also started to fuss when on her belly because she can't move forward. I think I might have to start baby proofing soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"