NCDR gentle weaning advice needed — The Bump
Cloth Diapering

NCDR gentle weaning advice needed

I need advice on gentle weaning. My son is 9.5 months and still bf throughout the night, in the morning before daycare, and when we get home from daycare. I would like to make it to a year but want to slowly transition for both of our sakes. Another reason id like to start weaning: I still haven't gotten a pp and we would like to start trying in the next couple of months. Thanks ladies!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image

Our English Bulldog, Ulga born 4/9/2013

Baby Boy Xander born 3/13/2014

Re: NCDR gentle weaning advice needed

• I should add that my one pump at work usually is about 8-11 oz. I have a ton of milk in my deep freeze as well.

• We had a really hard time weaning and what seemed most effective was to drop feedings/replace them with a snack or nap when we were also dealing with a disruption to our routine, i.e., a relative visiting or us being on vacation. That way there was sufficient distraction that DS wasn't too insistent on nursing at his regular times. But, we were very gradual. I probably tried introducing goats milk formula and goat cheese to him around 10 months, but he didn't really start dropping BF sessions significantly until 1 year.

Babysaunders
  • Drop only one session every few days is what i think is recommended, and to stay with the ones he's least attached to. Maybe try night weaning first, and enlist the help of YH? I think Kelly mom had some weaning and night wreaking tips. V still nurses a couple times a day, but when I started trying to cut back at least a little, I would either try to keep him preoccupied wroth something elder, gone him snacks, or be out and about. It was a bit different in that he was already at the year mark, plenty mobile, and I was pregnant, so I'm sure my supply started to decrease at some point.

Babysaunders
  • Thanks ladies. It sounds like you were in close to my situation. I'll try dropping the first night feeding since that is usually the one he's just using me as a pacifier for anyway.

• It is right if you go below 3 or so feedings a day before a year you may want to supplement with formula.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Babysaunders
  • @mamalamb10‌ lately he is waking up 3 times to feed, plus his morning feed at 645 before daycare. He then takes 12 oz from the bottle + 2 solid meals at daycare. Then nurses at 515 when he gets home, eats another solid meal and then nurses before bed. So all in all I'm still nursing 5-7 times a day depending on if it's during the week or weekend.

• I would probably drop the night feelings over the course of a week or so and lo will probably make up for it by nursing longer during the day or adding in a "snack nursing" session. When I dropped night feelings and pumpings that was when my cycle came back with both kids. Definitely get your H though on board, I couldn't be the one to go in during the night wakings it just really ticked the boys off like I was teasing them with milk close but can't have any. A couple nights of DH going in instead of me and the boys were like 'eh you don't have what we want so I'll go back to bed'. Oh and I would keep the last night feeding for a little while just because sometimes those can keep you from starting your day at 5am ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Babysaunders