Stay at Home Moms
Options

1 car family?

Hello! I posted a bit last year. I was working 1 day a week as a music teacher. This year I became 4 days a week so I haven't posted on this board. We are expecting baby #2 this summer and are exploring the idea of me completely being a sahm. Don't worry, I'm not about to ask you about home businesses and sales pitches...

We can get by with everything status quo on our budget, but we could put more into our 529 account if we get rid of a car payment. DH has the option of working from home so we are debating selling his car and becoming a one car family. If he ever had to go into the office, it is only 5 minutes down the road and I don't mind packing up the car with the kids do get him there. I am nervous for the day to day and weekend times of needing cars though. I guess we could consider getting an old model that we don't need a loan for but then I worry about upkeep.  Does any one have any pros and cons of doing this? Any experience? 

Thanks so much! :) 
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List

Re: 1 car family?

• Options
    VASC said:
    Also, does your city/town have Zipcars? It's a car-sharing service that you subscribe to and can reserve use of a car anytime. We used this in our previous city when we needed two cars at once.
    no zipcars here, but my parents and brother all live/work nearby if we needed something in a pinch. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I SAH and SO works a few miles away, we are considering becoming a one car hh as well so I'm interested to hear the input.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    VASC said:
    Also, does your city/town have Zipcars? It's a car-sharing service that you subscribe to and can reserve use of a car anytime. We used this in our previous city when we needed two cars at once.
    no zipcars here, but my parents and brother all live/work nearby if we needed something in a pinch. 
    When I lived close to my parents we had one car for a very long time. It would still be possible with family around.
    What problems did you have sharing 1 car?
    BabyFruit Ticker

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    We have one car, but live in a large city. I am a mile away from my job, and can either walk or take the bus if DH has to take kids to school (I usually do it, tho). Is biking an option for your DH? Mine rides his bike to work and it's his primary mode of transportation, which frees up the car for me. If your DH is only a few minutes from his office, and will WFH, it seems really doable for you guys.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    nosoup4u said:
    We have one car, but live in a large city. I am a mile away from my job, and can either walk or take the bus if DH has to take kids to school (I usually do it, tho). Is biking an option for your DH? Mine rides his bike to work and it's his primary mode of transportation, which frees up the car for me. If your DH is only a few minutes from his office, and will WFH, it seems really doable for you guys.
    I'd feel better just driving him the days he needs to go in. Our weather here is dodgy :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    We're a one car family w/o family around.  Granted, we only live 2 miles from where my husband works, so he bikes to work every day.  Snow, rain, etc.  On the rare days he needs the car, we stay close to home, but I have almost everything in walking distance.  I also have a chariot for my bike.
    my read shelf:
    Jayne's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are basically a one car family. My old car just sits in the garage because we are over dumping money into repairs month after month. We get by. I do most/all of my errands on the weekends or when DH gets home from work. The only problems we have a doctors appts and gym time for me, which are easy to work around.
  • Options
    We are not, but my sister and her family were a one car family for probably 4 years. She pretty much was a SAHM. She did work prn shifts on the weekends occasionally. If she needed the car that day, she took her H to work.

I think your situation sounds doable.

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"