April 2014 Moms
Options

New kitten, need help!

Anyone who knows more about cats than I do...

We got a kitten this weekend and she will be inside. We used to have a litter box in DDs room over two years ago. The kitten keeps going in there to go to the bathroom! She has a litter box in her crate (she's staying in there during the day for now, it's a crate that my 90lb dog fits in so plenty of room for a tiny kitten). I feel like she holds it all day and as soon as I let her out she makes a beeline for the bedroom. What can I do to correct this behavior?

Re: New kitten, need help!

• Options
    Natures miracle on the carpet where she is going.  It gets the smell (the one they can smell that we can't) out.  Does the litterbox stay in the crate when you get home?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    janellemj928janellemj928 member
    edited December 2014
    Yes, it does. Should I put another one somewhere in the house? The crate is in the living room and I leave it open when she's out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    if you have a large house, you really need two litter boxes.
    the kitten might be smelling the residual litter/car smell from the previous cat box. so maybe a deep steam clean of the carpet or just puta box there.
  • Options
    You could try laying down sheets of tin foil on the floor there, though that may just shunt the issue somewhere else. Most cats hate the feel of tin foil crinkling under their paws. I agree with others about an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Let it soak the area for a while so it can work down into the pad where odors from the previous box may be trapped.

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Options
    Unfortunately that won't work, @Acers‌. We didn't put carpet in there until last winter, so I think I'm screwed on getting rid of any scent. We laid the carpet over the (crappy) hardwood floor that was in there so any smell is under the carpet/pad. :-q
  • Options
    Teresa1896Teresa1896 member
    edited December 2014
    Could you just shut the door to keep the cat out? Or put something else in the place the cat is marking to deter her?
    I agree with Pp that I would move her box away from her bed/food. Enzyme cleaners work but sometimes they're not enough.
    Whatever you do, I wouldn't put a litter box in the spot where she's marking since it's the baby's room. We had the litter box in my DD's room and I really grew to hate having it there; I could never close the door. And then the cat thought that was HER room.
    You also might want to be sure that wherever you put the box, that it's in a private place, away from the bustle of your house. Cats like to do their business in private. :-)

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I agree with all the advice you've been given.

It can take a couple weeks for pets to acclimate.

Good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"