Options

Hump day!

What's shakin' ladies? Any drama to share today? :-D 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hump day!

• Options
    melody921 said:
    This is pretty mean, but every year there are a few Christmas cards that DH and I wait for bc we know they're just going to be the most ridiculous photos. The worst offender is our realtor's family. It's seriously the kind of photo that could be on an awkward Christmas card post online. The card arrived yesterday, and there's no picture this year! I can't even explain the level of disappointment, haha. Please tell me we're not the only ones who make fun of other people's holiday cards. 
    You are not the only ones. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Can I be stressed out and negative on here for a minute?  I have no one to stress out to in real life that is providing me any kind of encouragement.  I tried to talk to my mom and, as usual, she is the opposite of helpful or supportive.  Ok, here goes: 

We have to drive to NY this weekend for DH's family Christmas party.  5 hours up Saturday, 5 hours back Sunday.  Then, on Christmas day, 4 days later, we have to rush through the kids opening gifts so we can get back in the car and drive 5 hours back to NY to make a 5 p.m. dinner with SD's and stay there until Saturday to drive 5 hours back.

I knew this was happening for a while now, but it kind of hit me this week when I started making my mental to-do list.  I am not looking forward to any of it AT ALL.

• Options
    I have a MoPS Christmas party to attend tonight. I am a bit on the fence about these ladies. To be fair, they're all overly sweet, which is what makes me feel like a lot of it is fake. I want to go, for getting-out-of-the-house purposes, but the thought of driving a half hour and sitting through a christmas party with people I don't particularly know very well (there have only been 3 meetings) for 3 hours with no booze is a little.......meh. I'm seriously considering skipping the party and just going shopping. 
  • Options
    I used to work at a doctor's office, so we used to get flooded with Christmas/Holiday cards (and treats, yum!). Most were plain jane, but there was one drug rep who we would wait on pins and needles for. If you asked me what I missed most about that job, her cards would honestly be up there. She had step kids--who she hated (yeah she's a winner)-- so their Christmas cards only featured their dogs. Last I saw she had 3 of them, 2 teenies and a giant. Every year she would dress them up so ridiculously and come up with some crazy tag line. The last one I saw they were all dressed up like beggars--ratted clothing and she even smudged dirt on the little white one's face, and it said "Please sir... we want you to have a Merry Christmas (and s'more dog treats, too!)"

Worst/best part was that she told us she had to scream (opera style) to get all of the dogs to look at the camera at the same time. They always looked terrified. 
    Oh yeah, some of our favorite ones to make fun of are people that choose to feature their dog on their Christmas card rather than their children.
    :-/
  • Options

Can I be stressed out and negative on here for a minute?  I have no one to stress out to in real life that is providing me any kind of encouragement.  I tried to talk to my mom and, as usual, she is the opposite of helpful or supportive.  Ok, here goes: 

We have to drive to NY this weekend for DH's family Christmas party.  5 hours up Saturday, 5 hours back Sunday.  Then, on Christmas day, 4 days later, we have to rush through the kids opening gifts so we can get back in the car and drive 5 hours back to NY to make a 5 p.m. dinner with SD's and stay there until Saturday to drive 5 hours back.

I knew this was happening for a while now, but it kind of hit me this week when I started making my mental to-do list.  I am not looking forward to any of it AT ALL.

Ugh.  That sounds exhausting.  Is there any wiggle room in the plans?  Anyway you can extend the one this weekend so you're not doing 10 hours in two days?  

While we have a busy two days, it isn't insane and we don't have to travel far.  We've cut down a little bit on how many things we do because we want to enjoy it as well.  

Is there anything fun you can at least incorporate into the car ride?  Do you have lots of Christmas music for the car?  

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    I have two major things that have to get done today, otherwise, a lot of smaller things.  And my boss is at home with a sick kiddo.  Hoping for some real drama so I can slack off today... ;)

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    loislayn said:
    I haven't even done christmas cards yet.
    I did them, but they're still sitting in the box on our counter.  I'm behind.

I'm hoping to address them tonight.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    The dog card--I can't even stop laughing.  I actually pulled people into my office to laugh at that. My goal in life is to befriend someone who writes Christmas letters.  I f-ing L O V E those.  My Mom house sits for one of her neighbors for the winter while they go to Florida and she always leaves her Christmas letters out for me because she knows how much I love them.  I have no idea who these people are that are sending them Christmas letters, but they're always amazing.

I wanted to write one in 2012 about how my Dad, Grandma & Grandpa died and both my sisters got cancer but hey, we had this really cute baby so HOORAY! DH and my Mom said no to my brutally honest Christmas letter.  I think people would appreciate that way more than blowing smoke up their asses about how awesome our year was.
    My Dad's BFF's family writes a christmas letter every year. His wife is a hilarious so it's always funny and good spirited. They then include a hilarious photo. This year the photo was of all 4 of them in the bathtub (fully clothed of course). That sounded weird. Well the letter talked about how they did a remodel to accomodate a bigger tub for their son who has spina-bifita. So naturally let's take a picture in the tub! Another year they dressed up as Mary and the Joseph with the baby Jesus. It's pretty hilarious and I always look forward to their letter/card.

• Options
    Hyaline said:
    melody921 said:
    This is pretty mean, but every year there are a few Christmas cards that DH and I wait for bc we know they're just going to be the most ridiculous photos. The worst offender is our realtor's family. It's seriously the kind of photo that could be on an awkward Christmas card post online. The card arrived yesterday, and there's no picture this year! I can't even explain the level of disappointment, haha. Please tell me we're not the only ones who make fun of other people's holiday cards. 
    In our family it's holiday letters.  We get one from my mom's college best friend that's so over the top snobby it's hysterical: "This year we only vacationed in Vale twice because we took a long weekend in Paris. Timmy and Susie are excelling at university" Barf.  And my mom's godmother used to send the most depressing series of events in the Christmas card, but always arranged just horribly: "We lost our beloved cat Binky at 17 years of age to cancer, and also my brother Bob."

I'm sorry but this made me LOL. Poor Bob!

A longtime friend of my mom did the whole over the top thing as well. All of her kids were perfect and excelling in everything and then some. We always looked forward to reading it and then discussing what parts were just lightly fabricated and what was completely not true.

• Options
    melody921 said:
    Not by a long shot. I look forward to a couple every year. So far they are living up to their expecttations! I display them all at the front door so I smile every time I walk by. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options

Oh that dog card! So funny. My ex-aunt(?) does that to this day with her Dalmatians. My uncle and her never had kids, were divorced after 2 years and 28 yrs later she's still sending our family cards with her dogs. That's one we look forward to. LOL

We live far from family. As in 6 hrs from Milwaukee (my family), and 6 hrs from northern MN (inlaws). We have gone to BOTH SIDES each year for the past 8 years. This year we said no more. We'll alternate families each year. DH's brother is hosting this year and they're several hours closer to us, so I'm pumped. We're leaving at 12:00pm tomorrow in hopes that Carter man will sleep on the way up. We'll see.

Also: I want to eat all the things. But with this GD Gestational Diabetes (see what I did there? :)) I can't. The end.

~~~ EDD for Baby #2  6/28/15~~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I got that Younique fiber mascara from my mom. I didn't realize you literally brush fibers onto your eylashes. I wear contacts and the fibers get into my eyes and they scratch so badly. I (stupidly) tried it on a day where Q had swimming lessons. I about got in an accident on the way home because my eyes hurt so badly. So yeah. $30 mascara is not my thing.
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH has done nothing in way of gifts for his family this year so I am trying to come up with ideas. Would you appreciate a foodie basket (cookbooks, specialty ingredients, small kitchen gear, etc), movie baskets, something else? 

For a movie basket (for a couple I usually buy individual gifts for) I am thinking a GC to a local restaurant, a newish movie, boozey hot chocolate ingredients (or wine!), popcorn and some specialty toppings. Am I missing something obvious?

Any other genius themed ideas that would be easy and liked?

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options
    mhanson18 said:

We live far from family. As in 6 hrs from Milwaukee (my family), and 6 hrs from northern MN (inlaws). We have gone to BOTH SIDES each year for the past 8 years. This year we said no more. We'll alternate families each year. DH's brother is hosting this year and they're several hours closer to us, so I'm pumped. We're leaving at 12:00pm tomorrow in hopes that Carter man will sleep on the way up. We'll see.

Eww. I put my foot down a couple years ago on all the driving. DH and I have spent more years apart at Christmas than together because we figure we can still celebrate a few days late (or early) while our families are not so reasonable. 

Now that we have L, on Christmas everyone is welcome to come over, but we are not going anywhere. DH had divorced parents growing up and hated the back and forth so he wants to stay home. I don't blame him and am happy it didn't have to be my decision. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options
    Hyaline said:
    Hyaline said:
    Confession: I do  Christmas letter.  Worse confession: I do it from the POV of my cat.  But it's intended as a funny letter--and doing it from the POV of the cat is the only way to be as snarky as I want about my own life without sounding too self-deprecating.  
    @hyaline, please, please, please, please post your cat Christmas letter.  This will be the highlight of my entire day, I just know it.
    LOL ok...this is from two years ago when DD was born.  Sophie Biscuit had a rough year, haha:  

The People are apparently just too darn busy this year to write their own Christmas letter, so you get to hear from me, Sophie Biscuit.  I’m the cat.

Things started out nicely enough—I joined the *** family last November.  The Man was finishing his degree and the Lady worked in something called Recruitment, which meant that she sometimes stayed at work really late and came home smelling like cheese and chocolate fountains.

Then this strange thing happened—the Lady started getting fat.  And not normal fat, people—weird isolated lump fat.  I had a bad feeling about this.

Then the Man got a new job, so we get loaded up into crates and drove for days—days, I tell you—until we arrive at what we were supposed to be content with as a new home.  This apartment was barely big enough for a squirrel family, and just because I can get a teeny big rambunctious and may have, inadvertently, stepped on the other cats’ faces sometimes, I got in trouble.  A lot.

The Lady complained all the time about the neighbor’s cooking (someone whined a lot in the last year about things smelling bad), but I liked that they played a game outside the patio door kicking around a black and white ball.  Fun to watch. 

Just when we were getting used to this situation, what did the people do?  Why, they stuffed us back in those crates and moved us again.  I would wax poetic about this injustice, but in reality the new place is much better—nice and big so I get in trouble less often, plus it has these fabulous wooden floors that are so much fun to skid around on.

So things were settling into a nice pattern—the Man working, the Lady painting and ripping paper off the walls. (Sidenote: Humans are so weird!  Why put paper all over your walls?  Why not corrugated cardboard for scratching or sisal or something useful for goshsake?)  And then the worst thing of all happened.  One day they got up in the middle of the night and spent half the day puttering around the house (the Lady complained some more, but not about things smelling bad this time) and then left.  For two days.  And when they came back they brought the Thing with them.

The Thing smells like soured milk and makes a very loud, very persistent noise.  Often.  The Lady and the Man are completely infatuated with it and spend all kinds of time cuddling it and taking care of it, but I honestly fail to see the appeal. 

At least it’s immobile—imagine if the little stinky crying creature could run around!  But I know that the world would never be so cruel.<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

=D> Amazing!

• Options
    DH has done nothing in way of gifts for his family this year so I am trying to come up with ideas. Would you appreciate a foodie basket (cookbooks, specialty ingredients, small kitchen gear, etc), movie baskets, something else? 

For a movie basket (for a couple I usually buy individual gifts for) I am thinking a GC to a local restaurant, a newish movie, boozey hot chocolate ingredients (or wine!), popcorn and some specialty toppings. Am I missing something obvious?

I like both of these!  Another idea I use when I'm at a loss is to give a gift cert to an online photo book place (Snapfish, My Publisher, whatever) so that people can make their own album of Christmas/winter photos. Even better if you take photos and can give them a CD or flash drive with a bunch to "start" with. Works well for families with kids.
  • Options
    kelbel527 said:

Ugh.  That sounds exhausting.  Is there any wiggle room in the plans?  Anyway you can extend the one this weekend so you're not doing 10 hours in two days?  

While we have a busy two days, it isn't insane and we don't have to travel far.  We've cut down a little bit on how many things we do because we want to enjoy it as well.  

Is there anything fun you can at least incorporate into the car ride?  Do you have lots of Christmas music for the car?  

Unfortunately, theres no way to extend the weekend because neither myself or DH can take that much time off work since we both have to take time the following week due to Maya's break from school.  Plus the hotel is $120 a night, so there's that.  DH has satellite radio, so theres plenty of Christmas music and I have toys for the kids in the car.  I just hope the weather stays clear.
  • Options
    The dog card--I can't even stop laughing.  I actually pulled people into my office to laugh at that. My goal in life is to befriend someone who writes Christmas letters.  I f-ing L O V E those.  My Mom house sits for one of her neighbors for the winter while they go to Florida and she always leaves her Christmas letters out for me because she knows how much I love them.  I have no idea who these people are that are sending them Christmas letters, but they're always amazing.

I wanted to write one in 2012 about how my Dad, Grandma & Grandpa died and both my sisters got cancer but hey, we had this really cute baby so HOORAY! DH and my Mom said no to my brutally honest Christmas letter.  I think people would appreciate that way more than blowing smoke up their asses about how awesome our year was.

My mom is a JW, so she does a "Year in Review" letter after the new year.  I have never read it.  I'm sure it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    Christmas letters!  So amazing.  

My Step-Mom's parents send one every once and awhile.  On topic of yesterday, it's always interesting to see how much they highlight their "real" grandkids vs. my siblings and myself.  It doesn't offend me...but it's interesting.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    Hyaline said:

I like both of these!  Another idea I use when I'm at a loss is to give a gift cert to an online photo book place (Snapfish, My Publisher, whatever) so that people can make their own album of Christmas/winter photos. Even better if you take photos and can give them a CD or flash drive with a bunch to "start" with. Works well for families with kids.
    Ooh, I love that. I never thought to do something like that.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Options

Both sound good to me!

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    @Hyaline, your Christmas letter was fantastic.  Thank you for sharing it!!
    And @flamingemu, both of those sound great!  I'd like either one!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    Hyaline said:

Ooh, I love that. I never thought to do something like that.
    We did date night in a basket for some family a few years ago.  It had pasta, pasta sauce, dessert in a box, drinks, and then either a gift card to like redbox or an actual movie.  

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    What's up.  I like Christmas letters because they're usually awful, disgustingly boastful, or I actually appreciate the update (the minority). 

I don't have a thing for MIL or FIL for Christmas.  MIL asked for bath towels and now BIL & SIL are wanting to go in together on some.  What?  I mean, why the F would we split the cost of bath towels when she really does a lot for our kids.  What counts as bath towels?  I'm thinking 6-8 large white nice towels?  I don't even know what color to do other than white. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    What's up.  I like Christmas letters because they're usually awful, disgustingly boastful, or I actually appreciate the update (the minority). 

I don't have a thing for MIL or FIL for Christmas.  MIL asked for bath towels and now BIL & SIL are wanting to go in together on some.  What?  I mean, why the F would we split the cost of bath towels when she really does a lot for our kids.  What counts as bath towels?  I'm thinking 6-8 large white nice towels?  I don't even know what color to do other than white. 
    Do you know what color their bathrooms are? 
  • Options

Get a few bath sheets!  Those things are amazing and cover you all up!  Or you could get her a gift card to bed, bath and beyond so she can pick her own.  

I agree that it is weird to "go in" on bath towels together unless you are replacing every set she has?

• Options
    Baby shots can suck it!! Camden had his 6m shots plus half the flu shot yesterday and we're currently at 1.5 hours trying to get a morning nap in. It's been a screamfest all morning even with ibuprofen and constant nursing. Seriously, suck it.

Anniversary

• Options
    Okay I feel like this is a bragplaint and I am not intending it to be that way....  

I am getting annoyed/ worried, because we have been trying to get someone in to clean our house for over a month now and things keep happening.  The first lady I had ended up in the hospital and then fell off the face the of the earth.  The second was a business and they came out and were supposed to give us a quote, but I have yet to get one.  I emailed the guy again on Monday and haven't heard a word back from him.  I'm overly annoyed and frustrated because this is turning into more work than its worth!

• Options

@tinyhumantoe Yeah, going in together is weird.  I would hate white towels because they show every stain.  I would go with a color that's in her bathroom.

@mrskipper Boo.  Poor baby.

• Options

I think it's weird to split the cost of towels.  Do you know what color her bathroom is?  Does she have a theme that you could tie the color of the towels into?

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"