September 2012 Moms
Options

Tuesday tomfoolery

So it's raining ice here, and I'm in a pretty foul mood. I slipped on the sidewalk outside my house, my coffee was gone before I got to work (THE WORST, I tell you) and now, I'm dealing with idiocy, thanks to my boss. I received an email about a women's mentoring program, run by our local Chamber of Commerce. It's a 2-hour session once a month in 2015, led by a panel of local female leaders, that focuses on leadership skills." I either need someone to nominate me for it (they only choose 12 women) or I can nominate myself, but then need a professional letter of rec. So I asked my boss if it's something he would approve of me doing. He frowned at the $400 price tag and then said he'd think about it. What's to think about, dude? I think $400 is pretty damn cheap for an investment in my professional future. If he says the company won't pay, I think I'm going to tell him I'll pay for it if he'll fill out the paperwork. Am I unreasonable here? I feel like other companies champion their people more, whereas I have yet to receive one ounce of on-the-job mentoring or approval to attend a seminar or anything to learn more. I feel like an island.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tuesday tomfoolery

• Options
    It's early in the week for an UO, but I'm throwing this out there before I forget -- candy canes should be mint. My kids got some fruity ones when they saw Santa this weekend, and they taste like children's medicine.

• Options
    We are a solid sheet of ice here. I have no grocery staples in the house and I'm supposed to have my second a/s at 11:30. I'm not sure I can go. Roads and schools are closed. Ugh.

I cried over burning bacon and not having butter in the house.

I can't find socks online for my match and I can't get to the store until maybe Tuesday at the earliest.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think my kids are out to get me. They only get sick when DH is OOT, then they tag team wake ups all night long! So now my house is a mess and I am dragging and it is only 8 am. Here's to long naps and a better night tonight!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are supposed to get 18 inches of snow over the next day and a half.  I'm excited mostly because then my dog's paws will be only wet, and not muddy and tracking mud & dirt throughout the entire house on my beautiful, but not practical hardwood floors.

• Options
    I have a phone interview today for another position on campus.  It's exactly what I did at a start up that I worked for.

I really thought I'd be in a good position to get a higher licensing position within our office, but it has been open for 2 weeks, we have over 30 applicants, and 12 are lawyers that could serve a dual purpose and file provisional patent applications for us.

I don't even know if I will go through the embarassment of an interview at this point.

• Options
    I was looking at piggy paint for dd. My issue is, she eats the nail polish off her fingers. So I'm not sure if it would be ok to use? It says non toxic. But that doesn't equal edible. She loves having her nails done. I just don't know how to get her to stop eating the Polish off. Why is my kid so weird ?
  • Options
    I was looking at piggy paint for dd. My issue is, she eats the nail polish off her fingers. So I'm not sure if it would be ok to use? It says non toxic. But that doesn't equal edible. She loves having her nails done. I just don't know how to get her to stop eating the Polish off. Why is my kid so weird ?
    I just got Piggy paint for DD's stocking. I was planning to mainly do her toes bc she sucks on her fingers.

• Options
    melody921 said:

I just got Piggy paint for DD's stocking. I was planning to mainly do her toes bc she sucks on her fingers.

We can do that but she always has socks or slippers on.

I want to get the no bite stuff because she's started biting her nails.
  • Options
    Cookies to decorate other than sugar and gingerbread? Having a cookie decorating party next week and I hate gingerbread cookies and so does one other mom. Is there anything else to decorate other than sugar?
  • Options
    Cookies to decorate other than sugar and gingerbread? Having a cookie decorating party next week and I hate gingerbread cookies and so does one other mom. Is there anything else to decorate other than sugar?

Peanut butter cookies?
  • Options

What about the Italian flavored cookies, they are usually lemon, raspberry etc in flavor then you ice with flavored icing (confectioners sugar and milk frosting) then you can sprinkle with sprinkles
  • Options
    PenelopePondPenelopePond member
    edited December 2014
    https://bakerette.com/jello-cookies/
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    Ricotta cookies are delish! https://allrecipes.com/recipe/ricotta-cookies-iii/

• Options
    Also, I made these last year -- gingerbread-esque but not as strong bc of the butterscotch:

• Options
    One kid has a peanut allergy so peanuts are out.
  • Options

DS is feeling ok. My mom came over our house this morning because he was still sleeping. Poor kid. I spent last night watching the Packer game and scrubbing like crazy. I won't get pink eye again like last time.

The weather here is crap right now. It's snowy, cold and blustery too. I have a million things to do this week and no time to do them. Thursday I'm taking a half day off because DH is stuck working, my mom already made plans and daycare can't watch B. I'm totally OK with sleeping in a bit and getting some time with him. I missed my buddy.

• Options
    My boss asked yesterday how we'd feel about reviewing our own files because the chick that does it now just isn't getting it done fast enough.  It's her only job--review files, send transcripts to the advisors, proctor placement tests, and administrative things like that--no working with students, no meetings, no nothing.  Keep in mind we also have 2 admins for our department.  

W T H?  This chick makes more money than everyone else in our advising department (salarys are public knowledge since we work for the state) and now we're going to take away the main function of her job because she's incompetent?  Wouldn't it make more sense to talk to her about her shoddy job performance rather than expect 11 other people to pick up the slack and review their students?

I no longer have absolutely any faith at all in my boss.  Nice person, but the worst manager I've ever had.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options

I know I've mentioned my exSIL on here before. She's in a word, a bitch. Anywho I contacted her a while back to find out what our niece would like for her birthday. It was last week. We ended up sending her a kit to make headbands, and a couple articles of clothing. They don't have much so we figured she'd love some new trendy clothes.

I sent the gifts before Thanksgiving so I contacted her yesterday to find out if she received them. She had (thanks for telling us.) Her response was just so shitty. There was no thank you, no she loved it or even hated it. Nothing. She's one of those people who expects a handout. I'm so annoyed.

• Options
    My boss asked yesterday how we'd feel about reviewing our own files because the chick that does it now just isn't getting it done fast enough.  It's her only job--review files, send transcripts to the advisors, proctor placement tests, and administrative things like that--no working with students, no meetings, no nothing.  Keep in mind we also have 2 admins for our department.  

W T H?  This chick makes more money than everyone else in our advising department (salarys are public knowledge since we work for the state) and now we're going to take away the main function of her job because she's incompetent?  Wouldn't it make more sense to talk to her about her shoddy job performance rather than expect 11 other people to pick up the slack and review their students?

I no longer have absolutely any faith at all in my boss.  Nice person, but the worst manager I've ever had.
    Ugh, @marisakathleen, this kind of stuff drives me up the wall. Incompetent people continue to get away with being so if others are there to pick up their slack.

• Options
    It is not even noon here, I already ate half my pb&j, and I am STARVING. If it would stop raining ice, I would consider leaving the office, but right now, I wish substantial amounts of hot food would just appear in front of me.

• Options
    melody921 said:
    It is not even noon here, I already ate half my pb&j, and I am STARVING. If it would stop raining ice, I would consider leaving the office, but right now, I wish substantial amounts of hot food would just appear in front of me.
    Jimmy Johns is the only thing that delivers here.  It sucks. :-(

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    melody921 said:
    I am starving today, too! I already ate my almonds and my two cuties. I am about to go heat up my lunch, knowing that I will have to go up to the cafe and get something else later. Some days I really just starve for some reason. I am trying to drink down a bottle of water and hope that helps. I have really packed on the pounds the past few weeks and I have got to cut back.

• Options
    I think Hannah is seriously regressing not only with sleep but with her behavior in general.

She literally ignores me, and H most of the time too.  The last few days it's just been unbearable. 

H works til 8 three nights a week, so I am on my own.  Last night she freaked out because I was giving Ben a bath first, because he had a blowout in his bumbo and there was shit all the way up, nearly to his hair line.

She then proceeded to cry inconsolably for the next hour while I tried to feed him, get him ready for bed, etc.  So of course he ate his nighttime bottle GREAT with a toddler screeching in his ear, and was up at 2:30 instead of 4.

She has basically refused dinner for the last week.  I have the supernanny books, and 1,2,3 magic...but I am too fawking tired to read them.

• Options
    Add me to the hungry list. I am hungry all day. There's not normally anything I want and I have no groceries since I couldn't go to my dr. Appt today. I go to bed hungry and wake up hungry. I'm over it.

• Options
    Between having my fireplace on all day yesterday and today, all my stockings fell off. Damn 3M hooks. They have worked for the last few years, I guess I never had the fire on all day before? 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I am itching to decorate for Christmas, but with DS's bday this Friday, I made a rule when he was born to not decorate until after his bday b/c I don't want his day to be overshadowed. I am thinking about abolishing my own rule! I feel like we will be the last family to put up our tree.

• Options
    Luci is turning into a hellion as well.  Last night she screamed for an hour because we tried to put pajamas on her.  This morning she screamed for 20 minutes because I was trying to put her pants on her.  I am so over it right now and I don't want to let her get away with things, but damnit I have so much on my plate that I can't do this too....

I am wondering if Luci isn't sick though, because the last time she acted like this was when she had ear infections again.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    hmp1 said:
    Between having my fireplace on all day yesterday and today, all my stockings fell off. Damn 3M hooks. They have worked for the last few years, I guess I never had the fire on all day before? 
    Is yours gas? I love our fireplace, it's old school gas with these little fabric-y things at the bottom that look like real embers glowing when we light it....however, I'm afraid of getting a $500 gas bill at the end of the month.

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    Stasi said:
    hmp1 said:
    Is yours gas? I love our fireplace, it's old school gas with these little fabric-y things at the bottom that look like real embers glowing when we light it....however, I'm afraid of getting a $500 gas bill at the end of the month.
    It is gas. It heats up the downstairs so I can keep the heat off so I figure it all washes out money wise.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    How long is an appropriate time to be sitting in the work bathroom fixing your hair?  I went to the bathroom, washed my hands, came back to my office and then realized I left my keys on the bathroom counter, so I went back in there and she's S T I L L trying to put her hair in a ponytail.  It was odd.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options

How long is an appropriate time to be sitting in the work bathroom fixing your hair?  I went to the bathroom, washed my hands, came back to my office and then realized I left my keys on the bathroom counter, so I went back in there and she's S T I L L trying to put her hair in a ponytail.  It was odd.
    FFTC: This is totally me. It's gotta be JUST right...sometimes it takes a few attempts. That being said I'm not taking more than 3 or 4 minutes...tops.

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• Options
    @melody921 You might need to brainstorm and provide your boss with ideas on how this will benefit your company/organization.  If it is for personal growth, I think the company/organization is generous to give you the time, but paying the fee would be your responsibility.  If they do both, they are super generous. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    Can I give you guys a confession that makes me feel gross inside?

I am jealous of some of these gofundme pages and things like that where people get so much in such a short amount of time. 

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    bosha711 said:
    I am itching to decorate for Christmas, but with DS's bday this Friday, I made a rule when he was born to not decorate until after his bday b/c I don't want his day to be overshadowed. I am thinking about abolishing my own rule! I feel like we will be the last family to put up our tree.
    My birthday is Thursday--we almost always had tree up and stuff before my birthday.  I think what was most effective way to not overshadow "my" day growing up as a December birthday kid was that 1) we always did something special for my birthday and it wasn't Christmasy--like no "we're going to see Santa for your birthday!" or "we're getting the tree for your birthday!" (though as I got older I always picked Christmas brunch at the nice restaurant in town...) and 2) Christmas and birthday gifts never got combined.  I think as long as you make his birthday about him, he'll be fine :)
  • Options
    @melody921 You might need to brainstorm and provide your boss with ideas on how this will benefit your company/organization.  If it is for personal growth, I think the company/organization is generous to give you the time, but paying the fee would be your responsibility.  If they do both, they are super generous. 
    I agree with this.  We could request that our employer pay for coursework or seminars when I worked for the university, but we had to demonstrate how it would help both us professionally and help the university.  I also think you can probably show this in this case!
  • Options
    melody921 said:
    Jimmy Johns is the only thing that delivers here.  It sucks. :-(
    Yeah, the only thing we can get is pizza, and not even good pizza.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"