August 2014 Moms
Options

Stupid Question Thread

2»

Re: Stupid Question Thread

• Options
    This goes in the stupid question thread because I know we're being kind of stupid! I'm BF, period hasn't returned, and we're not using birth control. Going forward, would you take a pregnancy test every once in a while or just assume you're not getting a period because of breastfeeding?

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• Options

This goes in the stupid question thread because I know we're being kind of stupid! I'm BF, period hasn't returned, and we're not using birth control. Going forward, would you take a pregnancy test every once in a while or just assume you're not getting a period because of breastfeeding?

Lol I'm in the same boat and have been wondering this myself lately. My approach should not be to wing it, I don't need to get pregnant again for a long while.
                             imageimageimage
              Emma June 8/22/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mmsweeney1 and @RoccoBabyK‌ Me too! I was actually a little worried because I have been having some nausea and w this one in was nauseated for a week before I even got my BFP. However it is coming and going and it seems to be a blood sugar thing...when I eat it goes away. It did freak me out though. I think it is just BF kicking up my metabolism.
  • Options
    @becominggold‌ before I got my BFP last December I was so thirsty alllll the time and bloated. Now I'm both of those again. I can attribute the thirst to BFing I guess. Boating idk. Freaks me out a little too.
                             imageimageimage
              Emma June 8/22/2014
  • Options
    amj1053 said:
    About what age do they learn how to put the paci back in by their self? DD has started grasping it and pulling it out but she's no where close to being able to put it back in. Eta: paci not pack, autocorrect.

DD was probably 9 or 10 months before she could put her pacifier back in by herself 100% of the time. @zoegirlTX, we played the pacifier game too (5-12 wake-ups to put it back in nightly) for a couple months until we did sleep training. The sleep training method I used recommended that you don't use a pacifier at night until they can always put it back in by themselves. When we did let her have it again at night, I clipped it to her PJs so it was easy for her to find. I will probably do the same thing with DS. DD was super attached to her pacifier so I was terrified about not letting her have it for a few months but it went better than expected.

• Options

Are some babies just not swatters? LO doesn't swat or kick at anything!

Same here. She kicks at ME when she's on my lap but that's about it. We just got a jumperoo and she's touching things on it but it's more of a leaning lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ds is 19 weeks and his head has always been around the 90th percentile. Is this something I should at all be concerned with? Only reason I ask is because the pedi always says it's fine but if it seemed to go up more then they'd look into it? Don't some babies just have big noggins?

Me 28 DH 30

After 4+ years TTC

FET #2 = DS Madden Jeffery <3 July 29, 2014 <3
  • Options
    Oh and does sex hurt for anyone else?? It literally hurts pretty bad still I never want to do it? Will it ever get better?

Me 28 DH 30

After 4+ years TTC

• Options
    @HeatherHam10‌ this was me a month ago! Are you breastfeeding? If so your vagina can get dry from low estrogen from BFdg. It Was getting worse and worse for me. I went to my OB and got estrogen cream. Now it doesn't hurt!
  • Options
    Ds is 19 weeks and his head has always been around the 90th percentile. Is this something I should at all be concerned with? Only reason I ask is because the pedi always says it's fine but if it seemed to go up more then they'd look into it? Don't some babies just have big noggins?
    DS1 has a huge head.  We're talking my 6 year old nephew can wear hats that are too small on my son.  He was 50% at birth, 90% at 2 months, and 94% at 4 months.  He got up to 98% at one point.  His doctor never said anything about it.  But H has a giant dome also.
  • Options

This whole time I thought I could mix cereal with bm and feed via bottke. Am I wrong in thinking that ?? Does it need to be fed with a spoon ??? Do I win the crown for dumbest question ever ? I'm not prepared for spoon feeding lol. I have yet to get said spoons

I haven't used any cereal but I know that a lot of people mix it into BM or formula and feed from bottle as long as its not too thick.

And I haven't gotten any spoons or anything yet either. You are not alone in the unprepared camp!
  • Options
    This whole time I thought I could mix cereal with bm and feed via bottke. Am I wrong in thinking that ?? Does it need to be fed with a spoon ??? Do I win the crown for dumbest question ever ? I'm not prepared for spoon feeding lol. I have yet to get said spoons
    Most of the time when people are talking about cereal in a bottle is because their doctor recommended it for reflux. If you are choosing to give your baby cereal as a first food you can mix it with BM or formula and feed it by spoon.  
  • Options

One of my nips is leaking blood into the milk... It's hot pink (so gross). Should I dump what I pumped?!
    Call your dr. My oldest sister had issues with bleeding with her second. Dr said some blood in the milk is just fine, but I don't remember what the limit was. If it's hot pink, though, I'm guessing you're reaching the limit if you haven't already!
  • Options
    kareik01 said:

One of my nips is leaking blood into the milk... It's hot pink (so gross). Should I dump what I pumped?!
    Call your dr. My oldest sister had issues with bleeding with her second. Dr said some blood in the milk is just fine, but I don't remember what the limit was. If it's hot pink, though, I'm guessing you're reaching the limit if you haven't already!
    Here is another question----which doctor?  Pediatrician? OBGYN?  Primary Care?
    Um....good question!! I guess I'd try pedi first!
  • Options
    A convertible seat typically sits more upright. Like we have a Chicco Nextfit and it has different recline positions and as long as it is in the proper bubble for RFing, I can sit LO more upright. Our Britax only has one recline setting but it is still more upright than the bucket seat. For kids who get car seat it is often recommended to try switching them to a convertible for that reason. I think some people do just leave the infant seat in the car though. I won't because we have the convertibles already and I am passing my infant seat on to a friend because I know it has been taken care of and it will help her save money on their surprise baby. I think it is mostly personal preference.
  • Options

@HeatherHam10‌ this was me a month ago! Are you breastfeeding? If so your vagina can get dry from low estrogen from BFdg. It Was getting worse and worse for me. I went to my OB and got estrogen cream. Now it doesn't hurt!

Stopped bfing 1.5 months ago and got estrogen cream no luck :(

Me 28 DH 30

After 4+ years TTC

• Options
    MrsDeo said:
    When people switch to a convertible car seat just because LO gets too heavy to carry in the infant seat, why don't they just leave the infant seat in the car? It seems like it would just function like a rear-facing convertible then... I feel like I'm missing something but I don't know what it is!
    I'm with you. I have started leaving the carrier in the car because I was having back problems.  The only time I take it out now is if I'm using the carrier with the stroller. I have no plans on switching to the convertible until LO outgrows her infant seat.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    At basically 4 months old should I stop letting DS nap in the swing? It's the only way we can get him to nap more than 45 min. He doesn't nap in a swing at DC and we usually do one a day when we are home.
  • Options
    On the nap question- when do they start learning that you are holding them every time if that's the only way they'll nap? When should I stop? She's fine going to sleep on her own for bedtime.
  • Options
    Elbug said:

RedBean84 said:

MrsDeo said:

When people switch to a convertible car seat just because LO gets too heavy to carry in the infant seat, why don't they just leave the infant seat in the car? It seems like it would just function like a rear-facing convertible then... I feel like I'm missing something but I don't know what it is!

I'm with you. I have started leaving the carrier in the car because I was having back problems.  The only time I take it out now is if I'm using the carrier with the stroller. I have no plans on switching to the convertible until LO outgrows her infant seat.

@MrsDeo
    From what I've read, the bucket seat is still safer than the convertible, even when weight minimums have been met.  I think you have the best plan in mind, leave the seat in the car and don't carry it around.  An indication to move up to a convertible isn't lack of arm or back strength, its ideally when baby outgrows the bucket seat so thats what I do as well.  Plus I wear baby everywhere which makes it a lot easier for us, no need to really every take the bucket seat out of the car.  

Not true at all. A properly installed RF convertible is just as safe as a bucket seat. Many parents actually choose to forgo the bucket seat and get a convertible because they have no plan to take it out of the car ever so why buy an additional seat? Many convertible seats are made to fit infants from birth.
  • Options
    @Elbug‌
    Thanks for answering! If he does a swing nap it does move the whole time unless I stop it because I feel he has been napping long enough. We are trying to avoid swing naps now and only do them if he has a particularly bad day. I do rock him to sleep now for all naps and bedtime...probably creating another association but I love the cuddles so much. I am trying to put him down just as he falls asleep so that he wakes slightly when he is placed in the crib and he does put himself back to sleep.
  • Options
    Here's another dumb question: I know you're not supposed to hang toys from the car seat handle, but is there any issue with giving him toys to play with while he's in his seat(he loves playing with his Oball in the car)? He screams in the car if he's bored.
  • Options
    It is parental discretion. If you feel comfortable throwing it at your baby's face, then it is fine. I give LO a little book from Carters that is made of that minkey material and makes a crunching sound and he loves it. Experts recommend soft toys, but mostly it is up to you to make the decision.
  • Options
    cdseno said:

It is parental discretion. If you feel comfortable throwing it at your baby's face, then it is fine. I give LO a little book from Carters that is made of that minkey material and makes a crunching sound and he loves it. Experts recommend soft toys, but mostly it is up to you to make the decision.

Lol such a wrong mental image but so funny
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"