Breastfeeding
Options

nursing strike? i need a pep talk

so this is day 3 or 4 of nursing mayhem and I'm not sure how much more I can take.

we started solids recently and LO has just started picking it up in the last day or 2.  we only try once a day and do a little rice cereal mixed with BM.  each nursing session (except the first morning ones and now MOTN ones) are disaster.  LO will nurse for 5 min then thats it, then i'll try different positions, switch breasts, and she just isn't into it.  i'm afraid she's on a legit strike.  this evening i finally gave in and asked DH to offer her some bottle BM to see if she'll take it.

i'm afraid the 3-4 days of strikes are starting to affect my supply.  any advice on please on what to do during this strike?  i'm so drained.... :(  i suspect she isn't eating enough during the day because the last few days she's woken up MOTN because she's hungry. 

the pedi had told me to offer solids before a nursing session and usually the 2nd session of the day  i have been doing this and usually her 2nd nursing session of the day isn't a big one anyway.

TTC#2
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: nursing strike? i need a pep talk

• Options
    I was always told to nurse before offering solids. Could she be constipated from the cereal and not want to eat? Teething? Distracted?
  • Options
    I was always told to nurse BEFORE offering solids. Until they hit a year old, then you switch over to solids first.

Is she maybe just distracted? Are you nursing in a quiet area without distractions like TV or other people talking etc?

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto nursing before solids.

Also, how old is your LO? They do get much more efficient (around 6m DD's nursing sessions were often only 5 mins). That, plus a growth spurt, or 1,000 other things might cause the MOTN nursing. When she's nursing during the day does she have a typical number of wet/dirty diapers?
  • Options
    @1sttimemomma2013 - at first i thought maybe LO was getting very distracted since she's discovering her surroundings - for the last few weeks i have been nursing her in her room - darker, quiet....that was going okay until recent strike :(

teething...  ?  maybe that is a thought - i can try some tylenol

@lauranicole91- i guess my pedi either told me the wrong thing or i misunderstood... i just asked DH who was at the appt with me and he said she told us to nurse AFTER...ahhhh

@opheliainwaders - LO is almost 7 months.  i don't know if she has gotten as efficient to 5 min and just 1 side so quickly.  can it happen that fast?  she's still having the routine amount of wet diapers. 

i'm so frustrated.  thanks for the responses so far.  :( 

TTC#2
  • Options
    FWIW, I wouldn't worry so much about how long she's nursing as long as her wet/dirty diaper count is the same. Just make sure you let her nurse on demand, so that if she "misses" a meal, she can have another one shortly thereafter.

My hunch is that the waking at night is either a growth spurt, teething, or something developmental - babies aren't really wired to sleep through consistently yet, and so many things can disrupt what was a long-time pattern. Also, check and see if you're in a Wonder Week? For us, that meant night-waking, even at times when she was otherwise STTN.
  • Options
    @casey78 - thank you. i wish LO could just talk to me and tell me what she wanted. yes, i'm totally delusional :)

@opheliainwaders - i had to look up what wonder weeks was!!!! ahhhh!

LO has stopped the 3 am awakenings at least the last 2 days - thankgoodness too because one of those nights i had to work overnight at work and was stressed out DH wouldn't know what to do with her (but i know he does i just am a type A mom i guess)

TTC#2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"