Cloth Diapering
Options

Diaper Rash Help Needed!

I've been cloth diapering my 6 week daughter for the past month and love it! We mainly use GMD prefolds and workhorses. About a week and a half ago she developed a pretty nasty diaper rash. Her pedi said it looked kind of yeasty (although I wasn't entirely convinced), so we started on Lotramin, switched to disposables, and I washed all of the cloth diapers and added a 1/4 cup of bleach per some instructions I found online. Now her diaper rash is gone and I am nervous about putting her back in the cloth diapers. As I was taking them out of the dryer and putting them away I realize that they smell great, like Tide. Now at first I thought that was awesome, but now I am thinking that maybe it is a residue problem? If I am smelling Tide, does it automatically mean I have residue issues? Could this be the cause of the rash? We are washing every 3rd day, using Tide powder, cold short wash with no detergent, hot wash with tide to the first line, extra rinse. What can I do?!!? Please help a cloth diaper newbie out!
TTC#1 Since 8/2013 BFP #1 10/18/2013 EDD- July 1, 2014 MC 11/22/2013 at 8w3d
BFP #2 1/22/2014 EDD 10/7/2014
BabyFruit Ticker}
imageimage

Re: Diaper Rash Help Needed!

• Options
    Well, tide does smell, so maybe yes maybe no.  You could try running a rinse cycle and seeing if there are any suds.  But I do smell my tide on my diapers, especially when I first started using it and was not used to the smell of scented laundry.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Although detergent sensitivity is a possibility too.  Was the rash all over the diaper-covered area?  Or just in a specific spot?
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The rash started as one little spot, and then gradually spread all over. If I do put it in for a rinse and notice suds, what should I do to ensure all of the detergent residue is removed? Or would you suggest switching detergent?
    TTC#1 Since 8/2013 BFP #1 10/18/2013 EDD- July 1, 2014 MC 11/22/2013 at 8w3d
    BFP #2 1/22/2014 EDD 10/7/2014
    BabyFruit Ticker}
    imageimage
  • Options
    Keep rinsing till the suds are gone.  But it doesn't particularly sound like build up.  I would be comfortable recommending a wait and see approach.  Also if it does end up being build up, I would mess with your wash routine before you changed detergent.  Your routine sounds fine though. 

Really, I would either do a rinse cycle just to make myself feel better, or just try them out and see what happens. 
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Also remember that she's only six weeks old and could still have that newborn-ish skin. Maybe sensitive to wetness?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Tide gave my first a wicked rash (even after LOTS of rinsing). You could try unscented, or a more natural (enzyme-free detergent) if the rash comes back with cloth.
    If wetness is an issue, you can add a fleece layer against her skin.
    DD#1 (6), DD#2 (4), DD#3 (0)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"