Baby Showers

Handmade for babies

What do you think about handmade items as a gift for baby shower? 
e.g.from Etsy.

Re: Handmade for babies

• My boss made me a beautiful stain glass window hanging for my son. Totally unexpected and it was one of my favorite gifts.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sure the person getting the gift would love receiving something handmade, but I do see a difference in sentimental meaning if something is purchased off etsy as opposed to something made by the gift giver. There are a lot of really cute baby items on etsy that you can't find in any store. Maybe try something that fits the color scheme or theme of the items on their registry. Or the recipients personal style.  
  • I think they are wonderful!  If you are worried about the family liking the gift, just ask them first.  With my best friend's first I made her a blanket.  I asked her if she would want one and then I sent her a picture of the colors before I bought them, just to make sure she was happy with that.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also think handmade gifts are good. I've made a few simple ones in the past and would love recieve them as well, I do agree with the pp that it shouldn't put pressure on them.
  • Handmade gifts are great whether they are bought or made by you.
    Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I almost always knit or crochet blankets for new babies. They seem to go over really well, so I keep making them. Sometimes I do admit to feeling guilty as it's not something from their registry (something they probably need).

My cousin recently helped me get over that though, she said mine was the only gift she got that was made especially for her son. It was what I needed to hear because I wasn't sure. These posts are encouraging as well!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP! - 8/15/14
    EDD - 4/28/15
    It's a Boy!
  • AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited November 2014

I almost always knit or crochet blankets for new babies. They seem to go over really well, so I keep making them. Sometimes I do admit to feeling guilty as it's not something from their registry (something they probably need).

My cousin recently helped me get over that though, she said mine was the only gift she got that was made especially for her son. It was what I needed to hear because I wasn't sure. These posts are encouraging as well!

Registries are simply recommendations not a list that is mandatory to follow.
    I'm sure your gifts are greatly appreciated!
  • I almost always knit or crochet blankets for new babies. They seem to go over really well, so I keep making them. Sometimes I do admit to feeling guilty as it's not something from their registry (something they probably need).

My favorite shower gift was a homemade blanket my cousin made! Nothing better than something from the heart!
  • I think if you are good at making things, then it is perfect! I have a friend who does beautiful embroidery and she gives embroidered onesies, towels, etc. for gifts and they are awesome. I am good at crocheting and have made several blanket, hat, and sock sets for friends. I also like to sew and made a little stuffed doll for my niece that she adores. I think handmade items are the most thoughtful gifts. 

I do usually pair it with something form the registry though, just because I don't want to seem cheap. Which is funny because if you've ever seen the cost of yarn you know a crocheted blanket costs way more than a store bought one. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think if you are good at making things, then it is perfect! I have a friend who does beautiful embroidery and she gives embroidered onesies, towels, etc. for gifts and they are awesome. I am good at crocheting and have made several blanket, hat, and sock sets for friends. I also like to sew and made a little stuffed doll for my niece that she adores. I think handmade items are the most thoughtful gifts. 

I do usually pair it with something form the registry though, just because I don't want to seem cheap. Which is funny because if you've ever seen the cost of yarn you know a crocheted blanket costs way more than a store bought one. 
    Yeah there is usually enough $ tied up in yarn to buy a nice gift off the registry...which is why I sometimes feel conflicted. I'm getting to a place in life where closer friends and family are having babies so will probably do both going forward.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP! - 8/15/14
    EDD - 4/28/15
    It's a Boy!
  • I really appreciated handmade gifts I received at my baby shower.  I got two handmade things: 1) a crib-sized quilt which is still in my DD's room to this day, even though my "baby" is in high school, and 2) a tiny, scratchy, woolly, and frilly baby sweater and booties set.  I still appreciated the effort it took for someone to craft this, but I think the only one to ever wear this was a baby doll.  It's now packed away with other keepsakes.

The person who gave the quilt made it herself, and it's not particularly "babyish" which is why it's still in use.  The sweater set was purchased from a consignment store.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"