Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Cycles to wait after a loss...

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what advice you received on how many menstrual cycles to wait before TTC after a loss. I've head anywhere from one cycle to 6 months. I feel that this is such a big gap. I had my husband ask his friend who is an obgyn and they said after one cycle is good. Any thoughts?

Re: Cycles to wait after a loss...

• Options
    It varies on a lot of factors individual to the woman's situation and health history (and perhaps also dr thoughts). My OB advised me to wait three cycles. Have you asked your OB?

Me: 31 DH: 36
    Dated Since ‘02, Married in ‘06
    BFP#1 05/16/06, EDD01/16/07, MC 06/12/06 at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 08/14/14, EDD 04/22/15, MC 09/17/14 at 9 weeks

My Chart

• Options
    That is a big gap but sometimes there are reasons why some are told to wait longer than others. It's really best to talk to your OB about it.

And don't forget that you should be ready mentally as well as physically before trying again.

Good luck!
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The first time I was told one full cycle, the second I was told I could start TTC as soon as I stopped bleeding. I recently experienced a third loss and was told to wait until after we do some tests after my first AF.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!

Unfortunately I miscarried before seeing my OB. Never made it to that point :-( I know I definitely have to wait a couple months but want to try as soon as I possibly and safely can.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, that happened with my first one :(

Did you not see a Dr at all during or after your MC?
    I am not sure how to say this without getting a "solicitation" warning so I guess I just say that I am not longer active on THIS site. 

• Options
    I went to the emerge that day to do blood work and U/S and that's when the emerge doc told me I miscarried but to be honest, I never asked how many cycles I should wait because I was in hysterics and crying and it wasn't at the top of my mind. I called my family doc to see if she wanted to see me and she didn't. Just gave me the requisition to do the blood work to make sure my hcg levels drop.
  • Options
    My ob told me to wait to take a pregnancy test two weeks after I stop bleeding from my MC, to make sure everything is back to normal, then wait until after my next period to start TTC again. She did a vaginal US and said everything looked normal, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can start trying sooner than later. But my coworker said she bled for 8 weeks after her MC, so that freaks me out.
  • Options
    With my first I also went to the ER and it was before I had an appointment with an OB (which I didn't even have one lined up). They told me to follow up with an OB in 2 days and that's when they did my blood work every other day to track to zero. The also did a u/s to make sure things looked ok.

Are you tracking your levels to 0 and do you expect to have another u/s as a follow up?

I'm not sure if it's needed it not, it's just been experience with the last 3.

• Options
    Thanks ladies for the suggestions. So far, everything has gone well. I have stopped bleeding after about 10 days and I'm still tracking my levels. As of last week, they were down to 300. I have to go later on this week for more blood work. I expect that my levels will  be really low this week and I may just need to go one other time. I'm going to see if I can ask my doc her suggestion. My husband is friends with an OB and she said one cycle and then you can try again. I'm scared though :-(
  • Options
    Glad to hear you're getting your levels tracked to zero, I hope they come down quickly. 

Maybe I am being overly cautious but I would be hesitant to listen to an OB's advice that has never seen me and doesn't know the whole situation. I would ask your Dr since they know your situation better. 

As for being scared, it's normal to be nervous when TTC after a loss. Even if you are cleared to try after one cycle make sure you're ready mentally. Usually you know you're ready when thought of having a baby is stronger than your fear. Good luck to you. 

• Options
    That's a good way to look at it. I'll definitely need a couple of months to mentally prepare. Thanks so much for all your support @Nikolie93 XO
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"