June 2013 Moms

Clicky Poll - Kirk Cameron's Message (along with a little tie in to his movie)

GraceInCAGraceInCA member
edited November 2014 in June 2013 Moms
I figured I would do a poll on UO Thursday that might get some UOs in it.

Kirk Cameron has a Christmas movie coming out. He posted this message to his Facebook page about "moms or wives" being the keepers of the home and bringing the joy of Christmas. Your thoughts?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152854662598735

Clicky Poll - Kirk Cameron's Message (along with a little tie in to his movie) 52 votes

I agree. Women should spread Christmas joy by decorating, baking, and taking care of their home and family during the holidays.
5% 3 votes
I don't agree or disagree. I think it's up to each family to decide how to celebrate (if at all).
51% 27 votes
I disagree. He's reinforcing bad gender stereotypes. That shouldn't be the default division of labor in a household.
42% 22 votes

Re: Clicky Poll - Kirk Cameron's Message (along with a little tie in to his movie)

• Loading the player...
  • @dmlk413 said:

I disagree with everything Kirk Cameron says.

Those were the words I was looking for :)
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • I do it because I enjoy it, not because it's my job. I would actually say spreading holiday cheer is actually more evenly distributed gender-role wise in our house than most other stereotypical things and I feel like I get a bit of a break. DH loves the season so he becomes a merry elf.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • s;lfkmsa;lcms;lkm;aslnv

Below is a rant.  Skip if you don't want to read it - I'm just venting!

This kind of mentality is killer on women and moms.  I agree that if that is what you want to do it, then do it.  But the EXPECTATION and PRESSURE put on us to be the "keeper of our homes" and show joy all.the.freakin.time. is insane.  We need more reality out there.

Here's the thing -- I want N to remember the holidays as a joyous time.  I want to be joyful during this time.  But to me that is spending TIME with her and not putting pressure on myself to decorate my house perfect.  I don't need to stress about having the perfect holiday activities and traditions and everythinghastobeperfectforthememories mentality.  I stress myself out enough as it is.  The more I try to DO, the less joyful I know I'll be. 

We live in a pinterest-dominated culture enough.  Add on the pressure of being joyful while putting together perfect pinterest activities, I just might go insane.  I hate crafts.  Am I denying my daughter that instead of gluing some crafty thing together we cuddle in bed until 10:30 am?  You know what, right now, I think she's just happy to spend the time with me.

I just feel like we already have so much pressure.  No one needs to add more.  
    Love it so many times!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"