3rd Trimester

C section by maternal requests

2»

Re: C section by maternal requests

• @TheOrneryMama‌ Can I pick the color of post-it my SN goes on? ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • sschwegesschwege member
    edited November 2014
    jess9802 said:
    JFC. Women in this country have the right to have plastic surgery, use birth control, get abortions,  accept or decline medical treatment of any kind, and we think the ONE decision they should not have autonomy to make is the INFORMED decision whether to have a C-section? Give me a break.
    Ok, but why should insurance have to pay for a c/s without medical need?

I think I remember reading somewhere once that maternal requests for c/s make up about 1% of c/s in this country.  Not a big number, but what if we turned into a country like say, Brazil where 80-90% of women give birth by c/s.  Would you still say people shouldn't have an opinion?  Because people think insurance rates are high now, imagine if our c/s rate was 80%?

People can do what they want, I just don't think insurance companies should be forced to pick up the bill.

Edit: I should add that the number in Brazil is 80-90% c/s rate in Private Hospitals.
  • merc5411merc5411 member
    edited November 2014

@merc5411‌ no post its necessary lol. Differing opinions never hurt my feelings any. :)>-

@TheOrneryMama‌
    I always like a good debate.

I'm mobile so I can't see if you have a ticker, but good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

ETA: added tag and fix the smily face. Stupid fat fingers! >:D<

• @TheOrneryMama‌

Thanks, I'm not pregnant yet, but I'm on cycle 2 TFAS.

@Joy2611‌ :\">

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sschwege said:
    jess9802 said:
    JFC. Women in this country have the right to have plastic surgery, use birth control, get abortions,  accept or decline medical treatment of any kind, and we think the ONE decision they should not have autonomy to make is the INFORMED decision whether to have a C-section? Give me a break.

I think I remember reading somewhere once that maternal requests for c/s make up about 1% of c/s in this country.  Not a big number, but what if we turned into a country like say, Brazil where 80-90% of women give birth by c/s.  Would you still say people shouldn't have an opinion?  Because people think insurance rates are high now, imagine if our c/s rate was 80%?

People can do what they want, I just don't think insurance companies should be forced to pick up the bill.

Edit: I should add that the number in Brazil is 80-90% c/s rate in Private Hospitals.
    They pick up the bill for every dude having trouble getting a boner but women have to convince their insurance company that their CS was for a valid reason?
    That's another thing, I don't think insurance companies should have to pay for!  Honestly, I was thinking of that when I posted my reply!
  • sschwege said:

sschwege said:

jess9802 said:

They pick up the bill for every dude having trouble getting a boner but women have to convince their insurance company that their CS was for a valid reason?

That's another thing, I don't think insurance companies should have to pay for!  Honestly, I was thinking of that when I posted my reply!

So people don't have the right to a fulfilling sex life if they can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars? I wonder if you'll change your mind if your DH needs them some day...

• merc5411 said:
    sschwege said:
    jess9802 said:

So people don't have the right to a fulfilling sex life if they can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars? I wonder if you'll change your mind if your DH needs them some day...
    As things stand right now, many insurance companies will not pay for services/procedures they deem medically unnecessary.   My insurance company would not pay for a childbirth class for me, we paid $350 for our Hypnobirthing class.  Didn't matter that I saved our insurance company money by having a med-free birth.  Doesn't everyone have the right to have the birth they want even if they can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars?  Guess not!

I had terrible acne as a teenager and had pretty bad scarring as a result.  I had a strong chemical peel done and 5 laser treatments to reduce the scarring.  My face is far from perfect and they wanted to do more, but we ran out of money for it.  You know how much my insurance paid for that?  The cost of the pain killers prescribed by my doctor for the chemical peel, that's it.
    Doesn't everyone have the right to have a face free from scarring caused by a medical condition even if they can't afford to pay thousands in this case?  Guess not again!

• sschwege said:

merc5411 said:

sschwege said:

sschwege said:

jess9802 said:

As things stand right now, many insurance companies will not pay for services/procedures they deem medically unnecessary.   My insurance company would not pay for a childbirth class for me, we paid $350 for our Hypnobirthing class.  Didn't matter that I saved our insurance company money by having a med-free birth.  Doesn't everyone have the right to have the birth they want even if they can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars?  Guess not!

I had terrible acne as a teenager and had pretty bad scarring as a result.  I had a strong chemical peel done and 5 laser treatments to reduce the scarring.  My face is far from perfect and they wanted to do more, but we ran out of money for it.  You know how much my insurance paid for that?  The cost of the pain killers prescribed by my doctor for the chemical peel, that's it.
    Doesn't everyone have the right to have a face free from scarring caused
    by a medical condition even if they can't afford to pay thousands in
    this case?  Guess not again!

I never said the ins companies shouldn't pay for those things. You were the one who said ins shouldn't be paying for certain things. For you, chemical peels to help with your scarring was important, for someone else erectile dysfunction drugs may be important.

And I absolutely think everyone should be able to have the birth they want. Again, I'm not the person saying ins shouldn't pay for things.

• merc5411 said:
    merc5411 said:
    sschwege said:
    jess9802 said:

Doesn't everyone have the right to have a face free from scarring caused by a medical condition even if they can't afford to pay thousands in this case?  Guess not again!

I never said the ins companies shouldn't pay for those things. You were the one who said ins shouldn't be paying for certain things. For you, chemical peels to help with your scarring was important, for someone else erectile dysfunction drugs may be important. And I absolutely think everyone should be able to have the birth they want. Again, I'm not the person saying ins shouldn't pay for things.
    I'm trying to draw the distinction between medical wants and medical needs.  Do people have the right to have access to any and all medical needs, absolutely!  Do people have the right to have access to medical wants?  I guess that would be nice, but seems a little impractical.  Private insurance companies exist to turn a profit.  How much would our premiums/co-pays/deductibles have to be to provide for all of our medical wants? 
  • @sschwege‌ I agree with the last thing you said ( I'm not quoting because the tree is getting out of hand). I just think SOME wants and needs are subjective and relative to the person. What is a 'want' to me could be a 'need' for you. I don't think elective C-sections, ED medications, or the chemical peels you needed are easily classified as one or the other.
    But I agree if every single surgery/procedure/drug was covered our premiums would be ridiculous.

• merc5411 said:
    @sschwege‌ I agree with the last thing you said ( I'm not quoting because the tree is getting out of hand). I just think SOME wants and needs are subjective and relative to the person. What is a 'want' to me could be a 'need' for you. I don't think elective C-sections, ED medications, or the chemical peels you needed are easily classified as one or the other. But I agree if every single surgery/procedure/drug was covered our premiums would be ridiculous.
    If we have done nothing else, at least you and I have shed some light on why it's so hard to get a straight answer from insurance and why it can differ so much from one company to another!  :) While there is black and white, there's a whole bunch of gray in there as well!

I also wanted to say I really enjoyed talking with you and you gave me something to think about!
  • sschwege said:

merc5411 said:

@sschwege‌ I agree with the last thing you said ( I'm not quoting because the tree is getting out of hand). I just think SOME wants and needs are subjective and relative to the person. What is a 'want' to me could be a 'need' for you. I don't think elective C-sections, ED medications, or the chemical peels you needed are easily classified as one or the other.
    But I agree if every single surgery/procedure/drug was covered our premiums would be ridiculous.

If we have done nothing else, at least you and I have shed some light on why it's so hard to get a straight answer from insurance and why it can differ so much from one company to another!  :) While there is black and white, there's a whole bunch of gray in there as well!

I also wanted to say I really enjoyed talking with you and you gave me something to think about!

@sschwege‌ I enjoyed talking with you as well! I feel the same way. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy (if you are- I'm still mobile) >:D<

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"