April 2014 Moms
Options

Brushing baby teeth?

Since we're talking teeth this week, do we need to brush them? If so, how often? My dentist said they don't need an actual appointment until about 2 years old.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
EDD 4/7/18
MC 5/20/17 @8 wks

Re: Brushing baby teeth?

• Options
    Mouth should be rinsed out before bed. That being said we are still up 3+ times a night so seems useless here.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Once the first teeth come in I introduce an extra soft and small tooth brush and just let him chew on it with just a little water. Gets him used to brushing and its worked with the older two. They love brushing their teeth and have since they were itty bitties.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We've got a soft infant tooth brush that I am trying to get DH to incorporate into bedtime routine for habit.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have no fluoride in the water here, so the pediatrician and dentist said that once her teeth come in we should rub a very small amount (ped described it as "half a grain of rice sized") of fluoride toothpaste on her teeth before bed.

My dentist said we could start bringing her in as early as 6 months old. He said kids have a lot easier time with going to the dentist the earlier they get used to it. She still has no teeth, though, so no dentist for her yet!
  • Options
    Clueless! Thanks for this. He puts everything in his mouth and tries to chew anyway so I like the idea of doing it for fun in the tub as routine. One more thing for Daddy's list :-h
  • Options
    thomas930 said:

Once the first teeth come in I introduce an extra soft and small tooth brush and just let him chew on it with just a little water. Gets him used to brushing and its worked with the older two. They love brushing their teeth and have since they were itty bitties.

I was considering this so I'm glad you brought it up. I think I will pick one up today. She's been chewing in her spoons for fun so I hope she will like the toothbrush too.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We just rub his gums and one tooth with a wet washcloth during bath.

• Options
    What if you nurse to sleep still?

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"