June 2014 Moms
Options

The SleepEasy Thread

Re: The SleepEasy Thread

• Options
    PS there is no way I can handle letting my kid cry longer than 10-15 minutes topa, so am I just going to have to abandon ship on this method then?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @lest12! Hooray!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsRahl said:

For those night weaning. If my kid is going to bed at 11 and not waking until 6 or 7 to eat then going back to sleep until 10 am, would that be considered a night feeding because of our wonky schedule? If she wakes up at 4 am would I make her wait until what time?

If you want to wean the 6AM feed, wake up at 5 then just check ins until 10 (11 hrs in crib). According to the book, tho, 11PM bedtime is way too late. Any reason bed is that late?

As to your other question - This method is all about a consistent response to crying so LO learns to self soothe. While I'm sure you can use some parts of the book (bed time routine), I don't think you can expect the 5 day result of 11 hrs of sleep.
  • Options
    @charsamm First question: Have you read the book? Make sure you do before jumping into sleep learning. There's a lot covered in the book we haven't discussed here.

My son is a thumb sucker. After a few times falling asleep and waking when his thumb fell, he learned to turn his head slightly so it didn't wake him. That's going to be something she will have to figure out. It's part of the learning to self soothe process.
  • Options
    Awesome @nicolemcm! You did so great by staying consistent. Keep it up!
  • Options
    We've been sleep training for about a month and usually LO goes right to sleep or fusses for up to 10 minutes. In the past week she's mastered back to tummy rolling. Now when she fusses to sleep, she rolls onto her tummy (she won't sleep on her tummy) and can't flip back over so we have to go in and flip her. It now takes about 45 minutes for her to fall asleep because she's constantly flipping over and we're having to reset her. Any advice?
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We've been sleep training for about a month and usually LO goes right to sleep or fusses for up to 10 minutes. In the past week she's mastered back to tummy rolling. Now when she fusses to sleep, she rolls onto her tummy (she won't sleep on her tummy) and can't flip back over so we have to go in and flip her. It now takes about 45 minutes for her to fall asleep because she's constantly flipping over and we're having to reset her. Any advice?

We had this problem before we started sleep training. He was rolling over on his stomach anytime he woke up and couldnt get back. We spent two days teaching / making him roll from stomach to back all day long before he figured it out. Now when I put him down he'll fuss until he puts himself on his stomach and then go to sleep :)

J14 Jan Siggy Challenge: Santorini

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Following.

I just ordered the book but haven't gotten it yet.  We hit the 4 month wakeful about 2-3 weeks ago and it's been downhill ever since.  Prior to that she was waking up once or maybe twice but would eat and go right back down.

Now....she wakes up every 2.5-3 hours and decides it is play time.  She squeals and plays in her crib until she is wide awake.  Then once she's had enough she cries until I come in there and feed her.  Makes sense to me because after 30 minutes of playing she has figured out she is hungry.  It's frustrating.  I'm afraid CIO isn't going to work for her because she gets herself so wide awake.  Our silver lining is that I can put her down wide awake and she puts herself to sleep every night.  Now she just needs to figure out how to go BACK to sleep.
    BFP #1 - January 2010...m/c at 12 weeks 
    BFP #2 - December 2011, little lady #1 born August 2012
    BFP #3 - August 2013....m/c at 5 weeks 
    BFP #4 - October 2013....little lady #2 born June 2014

• Options
    @DaisyHeadMayzie‌ A consistent response to crying will help her learn to go back to sleep, too, without fully waking. That was DS's exact problem.
  • Options
    So we decided not to wait until after the holiday travel after all. Tonight is night one...wish us luck!!!
  • Options

So we decided not to wait until after the holiday travel after all. Tonight is night one...wish us luck!!!

You got this. Stay consistent. Eat ice cream :)
  • Options
    nicolemcmnicolemcm member
    edited November 2014
    Go for it!
    I drank a beer and had DH do the checkins the first night

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Update on day 4:
    Again, early in the evening, but he's asleep (or awake and quiet?) after 46 minutes. Which is an improvement from last night's 1hr12m. And I'm on my own tonight as DH is working. GO ME
    Will update in the am - hopefully we have another one like last night

• Options
    nicolemcm said:

Update on day 4:
    Again, early in the evening, but he's asleep (or awake and quiet?) after 46 minutes. Which is an improvement from last night's 1hr12m. And I'm on my own tonight as DH is working. GO ME
    Will update in the am - hopefully we have another one like last night

Every day gets better. Keep it up!
  • Options
    Ok. I think I'm going to buy this book and start it off, because I would really like him to learn to sleep through the night. My question... He is 5 months on Monday but was born a month early... is he ready for sleep training yet?
  • Options
    MegEL85 said:

LO is refusing the dream feed. She is not quite 5 months or 15 lbs, but can't get her to do it. But she loves her some food and milk/formula during the day. Do you ladies think I'm okay, or should I really push it?

where did my portfolio picture go? 
    Dream feeds were getting us nowhere. He'd barely want to wake. I stopped them 2w shy of 5 mo
  • Options

Question for anyone who might have an idea.. Jayce appears to be cutting a tooth. He is finally settled into the routine completely and has no trouble putting himself to sleep. The book says that they will likely have trouble sleeping and napping, and that it is a-okay to soothe them normally during this period.

So if he cries in the middle of the night, would you pick him up and soothe him? Allow him to try and put himself back to sleep first and then soothe? Will this ruin our progress? He doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain, and we're prepared to use all things the book suggests, but it doesn't really go into the soothing part.. Just pain management basically! So any pointers would be really appreciated :-)

I would likely do check ins. DD had settled into her routine by the time she started cutting teeth and still slept thru with no issues. The only time we picked her up to comfort was when she was pretty sick around 7 mo and had a fever. We gave her Motrin and settled her back down and put her in bed. If you think the pain is bad, could you do Motrin before bed? We do that for DD even now when she's cutting teeth (molars are a bitch)
  • Options
    Dangit! Day 6 here and had been doing well with no MOTN wakeups but tonight he has....he's due for a poop so we let him cry for 30 min to no avail and then checked - of course no poops. Naps still suck, but since that was our biggest problem, I am sure it will take a long time to iron that out. :( Hope everyone else is having great success!

J14 Jan Siggy Challenge: Santorini

• Options
    Update:
    I wanted to add these up in good and bad columns, but I'm so tired that I'm not sure which is which hah
    So to bed at 730, cried for 46 minutes, then intermittent crying (7x from 9-1230) with settling under 5 minutes.
    Dreamfeed at 130 (tried to catch him before he woke up, but he was already awake, but happy). Fed for 13m instead of 20 - he went to sleep. Put him back in crib and cried for 8 min and went to sleep.
    But! cried at 330, which required one check in, then intermittent fussiness until I got him up at 5.

So, less crying at bedtime, easier settling, but trouble with staying asleep during those couple hours before wake time.

• Options
    nunzchucksnunzchucks member
    edited November 2014
    @nicolemcm If he's going to bed at 7:30, he needs to stay in his crib until 6:30. Still, he is improving by settling in under 5 min when he's waking. He will get there!
    With your dream feed, if he is awake, the book recommends you wait for him to go back to sleep, wait 10-15 min THEN feed (page 67 sidebar).
  • Options

nunzchucks said:
    (I don't know where all this went...)
    The only thing with the dreamfeed is that he was already wide awake when I went in, not fussy, just laying there. So I wonder how long he'd been awake for since he usually doesn't wake for a feed until 330, so I thought I'd given lots of time to catch him before usually due. Maybe I'll push it back a bit since he was also awake at 2 the night before, so I'm not sure going in earlier will do any good.

I'll keep him in the crib longer tomorrow, just the time change is taking some adjusting.

• Options
    Jenn111211Jenn111211 member
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for all of the encouragement!!!

Night #1 went great! (Hopefully I'm not jinxing it!)

Here's the rundown:
    7:20- put in crib
    7:39- asleep
    11:30- dreamfeed
    2:10- woke
    2:24- asleep (only cried 7 mins)
    5:45- woke
    *She cried/fussed for about five minutes before I took her out at 6:00. I need to go back and read whether I'm supposed to do that or not.

Nap #1:
    6:30- put in crib
    6:40- asleep (little crying/fussing)
    And so far she's still napping!
    *I adjusted for the time change. Her nap started almost 2 hours after she woke.
  • Options
    Awesome @Jenn111211‌!

A few tips:

LO needs to stay in the crib for 11 hrs. If bed time is 7:20 (and make sure this is a consistent time every night) then she needs to stay in until 6:20.

Your first nap should be two hours after designated wake time so 8:20. The next two naps will be 2.5 hrs after the end of the previous nap. Remember that LO needs to be in the crib for at least 1 hour. This schedule will help you get thru the day and not have 3+ hrs where LO is awake.
  • Options
    @MegEL85‌ What's with these new night poops? Poor thing! Glad she went right back down.
  • Options
    @CharSamm‌ Wonderful! I agree with you about the feedings. 10:30 dream feed and wean the 3:30 feeding at 2:30. So great that naps are going well!
  • Options
    We started last night and here's how it went: 8:45 in crib, asleep by 9:00 with 8 mins crying 9:55 awake, asleep by 10:20 with two 5 min sets of crying 11:00 dream feed 2:00 nurse 5:00 nurse 6:45 awake and fussing/crying/playing until we went in and got him at 7:45, only crying enough that we gave one check in during this time I'm about to head up now to see how nap 1 went with DH.
  • Options
    That's not bad @RoccoStar‌! Are the 2 and 5 feedings ones you are weaning?
  • Options
    We started the CIO portion. This is so exhausting!

Night 1:
    V: Bed at 6:18, awake 9:15 - 9:25 crying, awake 1:30-1:37 fussing, awake 5:23 for good.
    S: Bed at 6:15, awake 11:47-12:20 off/on crying/fussing, quick fuss 12:39, awake 5:25 for good.

Day 1:
    V: napped perfectly on schedule all day
    S: First nap 40 mins, second nap 45 mins, third nap 30 mins, fourth nap (trying to catch up) 34 mins. Made her stay in crib full hour.

Night 2:
    V: Bed at 6:32, awake 9:16-9:23, quick fuss 10:28, awake 12:33-1:00, (DST), awake 1:12-1:45, awake 4:32 for good.
    S: Bed at 6:32, quick fuss 9:35, awake for good 4:30

Day 2 (today):
    V: First nap 2 hours, second nap 40 mins
    S: First nap 35 mins (fussed 25 mins, then fell asleep again for 25 mins), second nap is going well so far...

The short nap part is really sucky. Please convince me that if I let them fuss/cry in their crib those additional 15-30 mins then eventually they'll sleep an hour at a time. Please?

Also, if they wake up from nap early, then do manage to fall back asleep, how long are you letting them sleep?

• Options
    @katekat8721‌ It sounds like things are going well, really!

Yes, they will get the hang of a longer nap. They need to learn to not fully wake after that first sleep cycle (typically 45 min). DS has fallen back asleep at the 58 min mark when we first started.

If they wake early then fall back asleep, I'm letting DS go until he wakes up again. The only exceptions to this is the third nap that has to end by 4:30 so he has at least 2 hours to be awake before bed (6:30) and the second nap has to end by 1:30 so he gets that third nap in.
  • Options
    That's not bad @RoccoStar‌! Are the 2 and 5 feedings ones you are weaning?
    Heck yes on the weaning! I've been blindly nursing him at night up until we started this so didn't really know how long or exactly what times to feed him, but was able to make some educated guesses and used a timer last night. The 2am feed lasted 7 minutes and the 5am feed surprisingly lasted only 6 minutes. The thought of being home free from MOTN feedings in about three days is exciting . .

Nap 1 this morning wasn't fantastic (as expected). He did fall asleep after only 1 check in but stayed asleep for only 20 minutes, then fussed and rolled around until just under the one hour mark when he fell back asleep again for another 15 minutes. 

We are currently undergoing nap 2. He fell asleep in less than 10 minutes (no checks needed) but 20 minutes later I see him on the monitor moving around (but not crying or fussing, looks like trying to get back to sleep).

@nunzchucks you are a sleepeasy guru! Did you do this with DD?
  • Options
    I'm interested in some sleep training but not sure how/when to start. My LO recently turned 4 mo a week ago but is over the 15 lb minimum. I am a teacher so I am not home to do the nap training piece. His naps have become horrible though on the weekends and I feel like I may be creating bad habits. He is also taking forever to get down at bedtime and waking more during the MOTN. Before nearing the 4 mo mark, he would eat and go right back to sleep and now he is taking so long to get back to sleep. My husband and I will be off for the week of thanksgiving and not traveling until Christmas. Would then be a good time to start? Will it make a difference if we are only home for a week? Will the Christmas travel a month later mess everything up? I feel hopeful that I can read the book before Thanksgiving and mentally prepare. Thoughts? Tia!
  • Options
    Thanks for responding. I didn't realize I could do the nighttime and nap time training separately. I need to get my hands on a copy of the book ASAP!
  • Options
    @RoccoStar‌ We did. It worked so well with her, we knew we would use it for DS the second he was 4 mo!
  • Options
    @krystalann94‌ @MegEL85‌ I don't even have to answer questions now. You two are experts! :)
  • Options
    Any advice for how to handle travel with a time change? We'll be traveling for a week over Thanksgiving where it will be 4 hours earlier!

• Options

Any advice for how to handle travel with a time change? We'll be traveling for a week over Thanksgiving where it will be 4 hours earlier!

Pages 225-227 cover that. I've never done it; we're not big travelers.
  • Options
    Nunz we have a similar bedtime for the kiddos! What are you doing for daylight savings? I pushed their first nap to 2.5 hours but it's 4:50 now but feels like 5:50 (when we'd start winding down for the night)

• Options

Pages 225-227 cover that. I've never done it; we're not big travelers.
    I don't have the book since we did Sleep Sense. I'll see if I can get an e-book.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"