Trouble TTC
Options

Sigh* ....why can't anything about this surgery business be easy?! (***UPDATE in original post ***)

wanderlust508wanderlust508 member
edited November 2014 in Trouble TTC
I posted earlier this month about how my fibroid surgery scheduled for Nov 5th was cancelled/postponed because Dr Y (who I went to for a 2nd opinion) got injured and would not be able to do the surgery.  They told me to wait for a call from them to let me know when Dr Y would be available to do the surgery.  I didn't know how long that would be though.  And having already been waiting on this surgery to get done since July, I decided to find someone else.  I was referred to Dr O who also came highly recommended for his advanced training in minimally invasive surgery.  He is in South San Francisco though (which is further than Dr Y who worked out of San Leandro which is 15 miles away vs 40 ...not that this should be a big determining factor).  I scheduled surgery with him on Nov 21st (Fri before Thanksgiving).  

I haven't met Dr O yet ...supposed to go for a pre-op appointment with him early next week.  Only exchanged some emails with him.  He seems very confident but definitely more "strictly business" and cut and dry in his responses to me.  I do feel good about going with him (the person who recommended him to me is an authority in the field of laparoscopic gyn surgery herself) because I think he'll do a good job and get this thing done laparoscopically.  But I still found myself wishing I was with Dr Y.  And hated that she got injured and I had to find someone else.  She always responded to my emails more promptly than Dr O has and takes more time to explain things to me.  And I already met and felt comfortable with her.  Anyways ....today I get a call from Dr Y's office.  She's back to work next week!  And they were calling to offer me another surgery date with her - Dec 9th.  

Sigh* ....what to do now.  Stay with Dr O and keep my Nov 21st surgery date?  Or reschedule AGAIN and go back to Dr Y with a surgery date of Dec 9th?  I accepted the Dec 9th surgery date but I'm still debating whether I should just stick with Dr O or go back to Dr Y.  I have already met her and feel comfortable with her.  So this would eliminate the need to go out to South SF (which is further) for my pre-op appointment and meet a new Dr (who hopefully I will feel comfortable with).  If I do Dec 9th with Dr Y, I can enjoy my Thanksgiving without being freshly out of surgery just the week before.  AND we had planned a trip to NYC from Dec 4-7 before I knew my Nov 5th surgery date would be cancelled ....I thought we would now need to cancel this trip but with a Dec 9th surgery date, I could still go!  BUT on the other hand ....I have this fear that Dr Y's injury will get aggravated again ...and they'll cancel my surgery yet again. Then I will end up wishing I had stuck with Dr O.  Seriously girls - WWYD?  

***UPDATE*** So I went to see Dr O yesterday for my 1st appointment.  I really liked him!  As an aside, he is really good looking, LOL (I was blushing! Especially when he put 2 fingers inside me ....kinda awkward).  He was great at answering all our questions (DH was with me too) and outlining the plan for the surgery.  When he examined me and palpated my abdomen he said "Wow, it seems like your fibroids have shrunk quite a bit after the Lupron!  I'm feeling very optimistic."  And he jokingly said that Dr Y would probably be upset with him for taking my patient case away from her.  So I'm scheduled for robotic myomectomy on 11/21 with him!!  Dr Y had said (back in Sep) that robotic myomectomy probably wouldn't be an option for me because my torso is "too narrow" and doesn't allow for much space to maneuver the robot (or something like that).  But apparently the fibroid has shrunk enough that it' s now feasible to complete this robotically.  Yay!  Dr O explained to me that robotic is preferred over simple laparoscopic because it's easier to stitch up the uterus in layers.  I left the appointment with him already deciding that I'd go with him and cancel my date with Dr Y on 12/9.  And then I got an email message from her.  She said that she was so sorry for all the delays in my surgery.  She told me that she would not be able to meet with me next week for my pre-op appointment that was scheduled with her because her injury had not fully healed.  And that her 1st day back to work would be 12/9.  She said that she could still do my surgery on 12/9 but that she thought I was in good hands with Dr O who she felt was also an excellent surgeon (she saw in my chart that I met with Dr O yesterday).  She said "I think you are in good hands if you go with Dr O on 11/21.  I'm still available 12/9 but I think you are already on the right track.  Good luck with everything and let me know if you have any questions!"  BOY am I glad that I made the decision to meet with Dr O before I jumped ship back to Dr Y!!  I still really like her but I would not feel comfortable having my surgery with her on 12/9 when that would be her 1st day back to work after 2 months off.  So ....Dr O it is.  
**Formerly EastBayBride508**

Me 34   Him 33

Me - Left salpingo-oophorectomy at 19 due to large cyst/torsion  and 2 large uterine fibroids found at age 30
Him - Borderline low sperm count (correcting through Fertility Blend supplement)

Married 8/20/2011
TTC #1 since Jan 2013
First appointment with RE 10/2013.  
April 2014 - Clomid 100mg CD3-7.  HCG shot CD10 IUI #1 done on 4/12/14 (CD12) ....BFN
May 2014 - Break cycle to repeat saline sonogram and re-group.  Travel to Kauai 5/7-5/12 (Yay!!)
June 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD4-8.  HCG shot CD14.  IUI#2 done on 6/9 and 6/10 (CD15-16) w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW .... BFN
July 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD3-7.  Ultrasound CD12 - 4 mature follies! HCG trigger shot CD12 AM.  IUI#3 on CD13 w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW ....BFN
July 2014 - Repeat ultrasound done to measure size of fibroid - 8x9cm (the size of a grapefruit!) Surgery referral made.
August 2014 - MRI done which revealed 2 fibroids: a 13x15cm fibroid as well as an 8x7cm one.  Super freak out mode over surgery plan.  OB-GYN/surgeon said surgery would most likely have to be a laparotomy (open abdominal surgery)
August 2014 - After a 2nd opinion, plan to take Lupron x 2 months to shrink fibroids then laparoscopic/robotic myomectomy.  Surgery date is set for Nov 21st!  
November 2014 - Robotic myomectomy done (2 large fibroids removed, mild endo found).  Benched x 3 months

PAIF/SAIF welcome

Re: Sigh* ....why can't anything about this surgery business be easy?! (***UPDATE in original post ***)

• Options
    Speaking from my own experience I find surgery or any medical issues easier when I'm at ease with the doctor. I just had to have "emergency" surgery with a doctor I had never met and found myself with severe anxiety (coming from a person who is typically very calm after having more than 40 surgeries). I would wait the extra couple of weeks for a doctor I know and trust with a hospital closer to home. I would also enjoy feeling well for Thanksgiving. Good luck with your decision.
    Married 06.30.2012
    TTC 10.01.2012
    BFP 06.04.2014  EDD 02.13.2015  D&C 07.25.2014

photo February4_zps0abb1614.jpg
    RE Consult Results
    Me: 32, PCOS, Hypothyroid, HSG All Clear
    DH: 33, Low Morph (2.5%)
    11.2014 (Letrozole+IUI+Progesterone)=?

• Options
    Thank you @lovesmonkey.  That's what I was leaning towards too!  Part of me has this anxiety that almost drives me to stick with Nov 21st to "just get it done".  I hate that I've had to put off TTC since July while waiting for surgery.  But logically, I guess I've waited this long so what's another 2 weeks, right?  In the whole TTC scheme, it's not like 2 weeks will make a huge difference.  

And 40 surgeries?  Wow, you are a champ to have gone through all that!  Seriously, it takes a really strong person.  

Me 34   Him 33

Me - Left salpingo-oophorectomy at 19 due to large cyst/torsion  and 2 large uterine fibroids found at age 30
    Him - Borderline low sperm count (correcting through Fertility Blend supplement)

Married 8/20/2011
    TTC #1 since Jan 2013
    April 2014 - Clomid 100mg CD3-7.  HCG shot CD10 IUI #1 done on 4/12/14 (CD12) ....BFN
    May 2014 - Break cycle to repeat saline sonogram and re-group.  Travel to Kauai 5/7-5/12 (Yay!!)
    June 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD4-8.  HCG shot CD14.  IUI#2 done on 6/9 and 6/10 (CD15-16) w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW .... BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 150mg CD3-7.  Ultrasound CD12 - 4 mature follies! HCG trigger shot CD12 AM.  IUI#3 on CD13 w/ Prometrium suppositories during TWW ....BFN
    July 2014 - Repeat ultrasound done to measure size of fibroid - 8x9cm (the size of a grapefruit!) Surgery referral made.
    August 2014 - MRI done which revealed 2 fibroids: a 13x15cm fibroid as well as an 8x7cm one.  Super freak out mode over surgery plan.  OB-GYN/surgeon said surgery would most likely have to be a laparotomy (open abdominal surgery)
    August 2014 - After a 2nd opinion, plan to take Lupron x 2 months to shrink fibroids then laparoscopic/robotic myomectomy.  Surgery date is set for Nov 21st!  
    November 2014 - Robotic myomectomy done (2 large fibroids removed, mild endo found).  Benched x 3 months

PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @EastBayBride508‌ I have been benched since July, so I can understand wanting to "get it over", but you're right that in the grand scheme 2 weeks is nothing. I hope that you get things worked out in the way that makes you happiest and get to enjoy the holidays!

As for 40 surgeries, I started when I was 9 months old due to congenital glaucoma so ended up with 30 eye surgeries and lost my right eye, had to have 4 total joint replacements in my 20s, and then some other various things thrown in. The strong woman was really my mom who managed to help me through it all.
    Married 06.30.2012
    TTC 10.01.2012
    BFP 06.04.2014  EDD 02.13.2015  D&C 07.25.2014

photo February4_zps0abb1614.jpg
    RE Consult Results
    Me: 32, PCOS, Hypothyroid, HSG All Clear
    DH: 33, Low Morph (2.5%)
    11.2014 (Letrozole+IUI+Progesterone)=?

• Options
    After reading your feelings, I'd say definitely wait the extra 18 days and have the surgery with the doctor who takes such good care of you! This is the person you are trusting to treat your body with absolute care and precision while you are unconscious...it sounds like the trusting relationship you have built up will really give you confidence and help you relax, plus as I recall you were uber impressed with Dr. Y's abilities?

But of course, now that you've been stuck on the bench for a while, maybe 18 days feels like a lifetime!! So good luck with whatever you choose. :)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    It sounds like you wouldn't hesitate at all to do the surgery with Y over O if they were on the same day. And, as you pointed out, there are some advantages to the slightly later date. I know waiting is awful, but perhaps it is for the best since you were so comfortable with her.
    TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
    BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
    RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
    Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    I would go with with dr. Y you are already comfortable and acquainted. I loved having my surgery done by my doc who saw me regularly as my RE. He went into detail, I have severe anxiety disorder caused by thyroid messing with my hormones. And he was open with me and explained in detail everything and I could call him at anytime with questions and not feel like I'm bothering him or feel silly. If you feel at ease with this established surgeon stick with her. You are going to want to be more comfortable any way and it will help with the pre opp gitters.
    Endometriosis Confirmed 
    2 Large "Chocolate Cyst" Found
    Both Ovaries 
    Post op as of 10-02-14 BFN 
  • Options
    I would probably wait and go with the doctor you're most comfortable with.  It sounds like the location and the date really work better.  I know you're anxious to get off the bench, but you've waited this long...what's a few more weeks if it means piece of mind with a doctor you trust?

-----------------------------------SIGGY WARNING-------------------------------------

Me: 31| DH: 36
    TTC #1 Since 07/2010
    DX: Unexplained Infertility
    TX: 
    IUI #1 on 7/3/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (44 million sperm, 1 dominant follie) = BFN
    IUI #2: on 7/28/14 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (23 million sperm, 2 dominant follies) = BFN

IUI #3 on 8/22/2014 100 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI (53 million sperm, 2 dominant follies)= BFP MMC @ 7weeks

• Options
    Thank you guys so much for your feedback!  As of right now, I am not 100% decided (which sounds crazy, I know ...considering that I'm obviously more comfortable with Dr Y).  The thing is, I haven't met Dr O yet though.  Who knows, I may feel just as comfortable with him!  And one other consideration is that I'll probably have to repeat the Lupron depot injection if I go with Dr Y (since the surgery is almost 3 weeks later).  Lupron suppresses ovulation so it would probably take even longer for my cycles to return to normal after surgery!  That makes me a bit nervous.  Maybe I'm overthinking all this and should just go with my gut! ....but this is what happens when I'm thrown all these curveballs and then am given too many options (LOL).  

Ay yi yi .....my brain hurts thinking about all this!  

Me 34   Him 33

Married 8/20/2011
    TTC #1 since Jan 2013

PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    I'm new here, but in the past I've driven farther and waited longer to have doctors who I trust. I think it is so important to feel comfortable with a practitioner. Best of luck making the decision. 

TTC since Sept. 2013
    09/14: New anterior 3cm Fibroid on U/S, no change in size 11/14
    10/14: SA normal
    12/14: next RE appointment - cancelled due to BFP
    BFP on 11/21/14, EDD 08/03/15

• Options
    Thank you guys so much for your feedback!  As of right now, I am not 100% decided (which sounds crazy, I know ...considering that I'm obviously more comfortable with Dr Y).  The thing is, I haven't met Dr O yet though.  Who knows, I may feel just as comfortable with him!  And one other consideration is that I'll probably have to repeat the Lupron depot injection if I go with Dr Y (since the surgery is almost 3 weeks later).  Lupron suppresses ovulation so it would probably take even longer for my cycles to return to normal after surgery!  That makes me a bit nervous.  Maybe I'm overthinking all this and should just go with my gut! ....but this is what happens when I'm thrown all these curveballs and then am given too many options (LOL).  

Ay yi yi .....my brain hurts thinking about all this!  
    Talk with your original Dr. and find out how it would effect your cycle. You can let them know (if you haven't already) That you had talked to someone else to get in surgery sooner. If they think it's better to get it done sooner and not have to repeat the meds, then there is you answer. If they think it's alright to go later, then I would go a bit later and be with your original dr if that what makes you feel more at home or at ease. There is already so much stress you guys are going through all of this and being thrown all these curve balls. You need to do what you feel will benefit you guys the most. What will help your body and you mind, TTC isn't always about the body. And try not to stress it over in your head too too much. You will over think your del crazy!!! If your dr. Y thinks you should go a head with the sooner OPP then go for it and know that your dr Y thinks it's a good idea and rest assured that dr. O will put you more at ease at your pre opp. And if your dr Y thinks you can wait and not have to repeat, or even if you have to repeat the meds but dr Y thinks it won't throw you too far off schedule, really keep that in mind. Hope this makes it easier and not a harder choice. 
    Endometriosis Confirmed 
    2 Large "Chocolate Cyst" Found
    Both Ovaries 
    Post op as of 10-02-14 BFN 
  • Options
    I would go with Dr. Y...I think your comfort with surgeon is really important. And I agree who wants to be in bed for Thanksgiving. I just feel like IF already takes away so much at least you can take your vacation, enjoy Thanksgiving and have your surgery with the doctor you are comfortable with....
    Me: +35 DH: +35
    TTC: Since January 2013 
    DX: PCOS. Severe Endometriosis, Unicornuate Uterus w/only left tube and left ovary, Pedunculated fibroid (on the outside of uterus) and Anovulation. All conditions diagnosed 8/13
    TX: Metformin
    DH DX: MFI - low morphology, low motility
    Ultrasound shows both kidneys in spite of UU. 
    HSG showed clear tube on the left side. 
    Lap Surgery performed 1/9/14 to remove fibroid and endo (Stage 3)
    • IUI# 1 June 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 13: BFN
    • IUI#2  July 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 5.75: BFN
    • Natural Cycle - so shocked to be in 2WW - 7dpo Progesterone: 15.5: BFN
    • Working with new RE starting injectables in late August.
    • IUI #3 August 2014  w/ Menopur: BFN
    • Finally ovulating on my own!!
    Waiting to start IVF hopefully
    **********All Are Welcome**************
    3T January Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolution

• Options
    I can definitely see why you are still undecided. 

If it were me, I would:
    1) check with my RE about how an extra Lupron Depot shot would affect your cycle.
    and based off how I felt about that answer I would likely.
    2) call Dr. Y and schedule for Dec 9th. It's a little later, but allows you to not be a slave to your IF and your cycle. 

I would feel much better knowing that I wasn't putting enjoyable parts of my life on hold (t-giving holiday and travel) for something that could wait a week or 2.

Good luck with your decision. Seems like either way your surgery will be in good hands!
  • Options
    Thanks again ladies for offering your perspective!

@DaydreamSam‌ - Your response really struck a chord with me because I had already started thinking along those lines before I read what you posted. As much as I loved Dr Y, I can't shake the fear that her injury could return and that I'll get another call saying "So sorry, Dr Y is out again." I might not get the warm fuzzies from Dr O but I do believe that I'm in good hands with him. Part of it is that I'm tired of changing my plan so many times. If I went back with Dr Y, that would be my 4th time changing the date. And it really is kind of a hassle! Calling HR and changing the dates of my medical leave, letting my boss know that everything changed yet again. I can't bear the thought that it could change again if Dr Y's injury gets aggravated before my date.

I'm going to meet Dr O a week from today forthe pre op appointment ... so I'll wait til then to make a final decision. But as of now, I think he will be it. He came highly recommended to me by a dr that I really trust and he trained in his fellowship at Stanford with one of the nation's pioneers of minimally invasive surgery, Dr Camran Nezhat. I definitely have faith in his ability.

Anyways, I probably sound like a crazy person the way I've flip flopped throughout this thread! Thanks for putting up with me ladies!

Me 34   Him 33

Married 8/20/2011
    TTC #1 since Jan 2013

PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    Update in original post ....I'm feeling good!  

Me 34   Him 33

Married 8/20/2011
    TTC #1 since Jan 2013

PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    Glad to see this update, and that things worked out so that you feel comfortable with your planned surgery!! It seems like you are in good hands with Dr. O, and that Dr. Y feels so too.

Best of luck with your surgery. I also had robotic myomectomy. MUCH better than laporoscopy surgery. Will they be using the morcellator?

• Options
    Looks like you're on the right path!  I am glad it all worked out in the end.  Best of luck with the surgery. 

Side note from our previous conversation: they just told me that I am not a great candidate for robotic surgery for mine due to the number and the morcellator being banned :( Lupron was not mentioned, I wonder if I should ask?

About Me: 

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    Thanks girls!

@Sha259‌ - I'll be really interested to hear about your experience with robotic myomectomy! I've heard some from @Rumbera28‌ and she said it was fabulous. :) Because of the FDA issues with the morcellator, Kaiser Permanente no longer uses it. Dr O told me that he will put the fibroid in a bag and morcellate it by hand ....I'm not sure exactly how that is different except that they won't be using the device that everyone is so worried about. Dr O thinks it's all much ado about nothing though. He called it "mass hysteria". He said someone my age was highly unlikely to have uterine cancer but that Kaiser's current stance is to avoid it completely

Me 34   Him 33

Married 8/20/2011
    TTC #1 since Jan 2013

PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    @meredithcarole‌ - Lupron is only usually considered when you have a really large fibroid that they want to shrink before surgery. Sounds like you have a lot of them but that they are relatively small? My largest was 13x15 cm before we started Lupron!! In any case, I would get a 2nd opinion if I were you! Believe me, when it comes to a surgery like this it's valuable. Dr O is the 3rd Dr I've been to about the surgery. The 1st I cancelled with bc she said I would need an open laparotomy to get it done and it would have to be a large incision from my navel to my pubic bone (yikes!!) ... I wasn't willing to accept that.

Me 34   Him 33

Married 8/20/2011
    TTC #1 since Jan 2013

PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    @rumbera28 and @eastbaybride508 It was very clear that my doctor also thinks the whole thing is ridiculous.  But then after the ultrasound she said she didn't think I would be a great candidate for robotic surgery (which was her specialty) anyway.  My largest is somewhere between 6 and 9 cm.  The MRI will tell more.  I will get those results and go from there I guess.  A second opinion might not hurt, though.  She says she will make the smallest incision possible.  She thinks she can get an 8 cm fibroid through a 6 cm incision if she injects it and it shrinks a bit.  

About Me: 

My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"