October 2014 Moms

Postpartum baths

Did anyone's doctor advise them not to take a bath for a few weeks after birth? I had a vaginal birth with no tearing and just a stitch for what my doctor called a "laceration," but he told me no baths for 6 weeks.  I'm in Ukraine and they are super conservative on a lot of things, so I'm wondering if this advice is normal or another crazy Ukrainian superstition.  My back and neck are so achy for constantly BFing that I can't stop thinking about how good it would feel to soak in some nice warm water.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Postpartum baths

• This may be a stupid question...but I have never understood how you can take a bath with post partum bleeding...I know you may be referring to once the bleeding stops...but people don't take baths while they are still bleeding...right?!?!?!?!?
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a vaginal delivery with 1 stitch and wad told to soak in a warm tub 2-3 times per day.
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • Loading the player...
  • Vaginal delivery with a second degree tear. I was told for the first three weeks I could take a bath with just water to soak my stitches and keep them soft, but not to take one with soap.
  • I had a second degree tear and was told no baths for 6 weeks... I dream of taking one though, especially for the fantastic ppm hemorrhoids. I'd just stick to what my doctor told me to be on the safe side. They all have their reasons for the directions they give.
    image  imageimage

D14 mama with an O14 baby.
  • I had a vaginal birth with a small tear and I had a bath every evening with Epsom salts. I never really bled in the bath, maybe because of gravity? But if I did a little, I would just get out.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Vaginal birth with two 2nd degree tears and I was told to soak 3 to 4 times a day.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I was told to take baths for healing after my vaginal delivery
  • My MW recommended baths it but said not to make it too hot and have DH or someone home.

• No baths for 6 weeks for the same reason as no sex for 6 weeks-you could introduce infection if you're not fully healed.  (I had a vaginal delivery but don't think that makes a difference).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had heard this through friends but was assured by my care providers that usually it's an infection concern. In my case I had a first degree tear so I can't speak for other situations. I was told it's very unlikely to get an infection in your own home as you are accustomed to what "lives there." I do Epsom soaks once per day before a shower and it helps so much with the aches and tightening with stitches.
  • Sitz baths with Epsom salts are a good way for your lady parts to heal if you tore. I was not advised to stay away from baths. And I don't see the issue of taking a bath while you are bleeding. If anything leaks out it is usually minor, go down the drains, and can be cleaned up if it doesn't.

• Vaginal birth, no tearing. MW said nothing about baths. :/
    imageimage
  • Thanks ladies. It's so interesting what a wide range of recommendations different doctors and midwives give. 

• wearenuttswearenutts member
    edited October 2014
    With my first I had an episiotomy and was told 2 bath soaks a day. This time around I just had one small tear and was told no baths for 2 weeks.

ETA: this was from 2 different doctors in 2 different states.
  • No mention of baths either way for me.
    Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was also told no baths/ hot tubs for 6 weeks after my vaginal delivery.
  • I just called my OB to clarify. I dilated all the way and then ended up having a c section. When I called they said to wait until 3 weeks. I may give it to 4 just to be safe. The main thing they were concerned about was that there was no more bleeding.

• I was told no baths for 6 weeks as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"