March 2015 Moms
Options

Baby girl name

2»

Re: Baby girl name

• Options

I thought you were baiting us with Bellatrix.  I posted a joke on a "what's your baby's name" thread about naming a future daughter Maleficent (and naming my son Skeletor).  I figured maybe you were sharing my line of thought.  Sorry, but that's the association folks would make if you named your daughter Bellatrix (even if it means something completely different to you).

Do what you want to do, but you asked for our opinions so there you go.

• Options
    kcbizme said:
    I still don't understand why people feel the need to ask random strangers to help name their child?
    Especially when they already have their mind made up as to what name to use. 
    I don't have my mind made up. That's why I was asking for help. I (apparently foolishly) thought people would want to help and vote. But I totally get that this is not that sort of place now. Loud and clear.
    You do realize there is a BABY NAME BOARD for things like this?

Who are you? You don't participate in any threads. You CLEARLY haven't bothered to lurk. Why should we help you choose a name for your kid?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So, idea here. Can we sticky a name thread so stuff like this doesn't keep happening?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    OP, if your heart is truly set on one of the two, I honestly and sincerely think you should go with Bellatrice because people are guaranteed to make the Harry Potter connection to Bellatrix. Not everyone, maybe not even most, but there will absolutely be some jerks out there who either tease her/you guys publicly or behind her/your back because of it. If this is okay with you, cool, but if not, go with Bellatrice.

You may get some teasing for Bellatrice since it is made up, but I feel like it would be far less than for a name that is almost 100% known for a Harry Potter character. That is my honest opinion. Of course, take it or leave it. It would be like naming a kid Rapunzel. People will tease; unfortunate, but true.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

@peledreamsofrain the only problem with yet another sticky is that the people we are trying to reach usually don't read them

Let me have my dreams!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Lessons Learned by a Lurker

Found on A'15. I feel like it applies to all BMB's.
  • Options
    kcbizme said:
    Lessons Learned by a Lurker

Found on A'15. I feel like it applies to all BMB's.
    Yeah that's all fine and good but it doesn't really warrant being all condescending and caps-locky at people.
    I was only responding to her being snippy with me. Not condescending.
  • Options
    Anywayyyyy...

OP, you made a pretty heartfelt post about what you and your H held on to to get you through some dark days, and that was the idea of naming your daughter Bellatrix. Add me to the group of folks who have never read Harry Potter or seen the movies, so I had no idea it's a name used in the books. I voted on your poll and picked Bellatrice (but I misread and thought it said Beatrice :p ).

I'm just curious though, if you guys clung to the name Bellatrix why are you suddenly not sure about it? How does your H feel about NOT using the name?

I think the comments you got here do provide some insight to what you might get if you do name the baby Bellatrix. Apparently it's a big name in Harry Potter :p so you'll probably get lots of questions asking if you named her after the books.
  • Options
    IA with everything @beatlesgal4‌ said
  • Options
    I voted for Bellatrix because I like real names and I love badass Latin names, even though this is one I wouldn't have the nerve to use myself.  It is conceivable (I am saying this as someone who understands Italian to the extent it derives from Latin) that Bellatrice is a legit Italian word, if not name, that evolved from Bellatrix, but it wouldn't be pronounced like Beatrice.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    @toastercat and @MauiBliss‌ my comment was only regarding OP saying this, which was related to us not liking the name,

Wow, I'm not sure I can adequately express how completely shocked I was by the overwhelming rudeness I have received in response to this. Holy cow ladies. Do you realize there's an actual really real person on the other end of your comments? I doubt you'd like to hear that your precious Mackenzy, Hannah, Haley, Kaylee, Kailee, or Riley are terrible or horrible. Why say such awful things?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    rm2013 said:

@toastercat and @MauiBliss‌ my comment was only regarding OP saying this, which was related to us not liking the name,

Wow, I'm not sure I can adequately express how completely shocked I was by the overwhelming rudeness I have received in response to this. Holy cow ladies. Do you realize there's an actual really real person on the other end of your comments? I doubt you'd like to hear that your precious Mackenzy, Hannah, Haley, Kaylee, Kailee, or Riley are terrible or horrible. Why say such awful things?

Good rule of thumb for life in general: don't share the name with people. This will happen to you at work, with relatives, and strangers. People will react negatively to whatever you pick. I've already had people wrinkle thier noses in my face with my suggestions. So yeah, that list of names you put up WOULD get negative responses. It's the nature of the beast.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Also this. I can't believe I forgot about it! (I'll stop now...)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sooo....I gave a legit suggestion and OP hasn't really responded to the people actually trying to help. If you want to honor Beatrice but do something different, why not the classic Beatrix? It, like Bellatrix, is a real name, but better known and not linked to a famous villain. No matter how often someone has posted on TB I say that I don't like made up or smoosh names. And the logic of all names were once made up is incredibly lame. Lurk the BNB and see why you're doing your child a disservice to give them a made up or incorrectly spelled name. That was my issue with Bellatrice. If you insist on the Bella beginning, I did vote for Bellatrix because it is a real name with history.
  • Options
    I am just not sure why you post a poll on names then complain when people say your names suck. If you love it then don't ask, if you want to know what people actually will think of your daughters name they will think "wow that name sucks". We don't share our name choices because we don't want to hear it. We use real names with traditional spellings so that even if you don't like the name it is am actual name. So whatever your decide good luck but know the reaction you got here was honest and what your friends won't say to your face.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tatilopeztatilopez member
    edited October 2014
    I'm never one to be snarky I'm generally a happy go lucky yayyyy type of gal but after reading through this thread at a few convos I'm so not understanding what op means by negativity... Opinions means u give your I give mine and guess what we can agree to disagree but so long as your not attacking me were good! Maybe developing thick skin prior to asking someone for their opionion (especially ppl u don't know) will help u for next time you are asking for opinions that's if u decide were "worthy" of giving u our advice ever again... I've made a couple threads asking for help advice etc. We do live in a world where majority ppl are nice or peaceful, but it's simple as this with opinions.... If I get dressed and spend hours on hair make up outfit and I ask somebody how do I look, I must be prepared that hey they may just NOT like it! Same with your name post I HATE both names bcuz I wouldn't name my child any of the options provided now that's me being honest! But as most women said it's YOUR CHILD. no matter your story if that's what gave u courage and that's what you envision calling your daughter than guess what only you and hubby will be there to sign that birth certificate! None of us! So when ppl give their opinions just how u don't want to be attacked DONT ATTACK US FOR NOT BEING "yes men" bcuz we don't like either name or were sharing what it reminds us of... Just simply say ok they don't like it but I love it and then go to ppl who will actually be apart of your daughters life and calling her either of these names for the extra support! Good luck with figuring it out! Tell your husband that whatever he believes these forums are tell him that m15 is nothing short of awesome helpful and filled with pregnant woman with none other than SNARKY OPINIONS! And I love it! We speak our minds and share our thoughts whether it's to be agreed upon or not. Id rather someone tell me the truth and say my outfit looks horrible than to lie to me and tell me I look great! After that I'll take the criticism and either change clothes or figure hey it's my outfit I feel good and I'm wearing it! Just like with your names. Opinions or not it's still your choice! Hope u don't quote me and say I'm being negative I think what I've said was pretty friggin awesome (but again, that's MY OPINION) :)
  • Options
    I should have included some commas exclamation points etc etc and better clarified. It was right before bed. But first few lines basically sums it up! U would onlii be consigning that m15 is awesome her husband should join lol and she shouldn't attack ppl bcuz our opinions differ from hers... I should have re read but wth it's not my college English class which I got all A's in...
  • Options
    createmagic14createmagic14 member
    edited October 2014
    tatilopez said:
    I should have included some commas exclamation points etc etc and better clarified. It was right before bed. But first few lines basically sums it up! U would onlii be consigning that m15 is awesome her husband should join lol and she shouldn't attack ppl bcuz our opinions differ from hers... I should have re read but wth it's not my college English class which I got all A's in...
    @tatliopez I think you have some good points. I beg of you though, please use proper spelling and grammar. Your ideas are more likely to be heard. Thanks :-)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers photo 401ba615-b560-419d-8272-b89fb96034ec.pngphoto sushilovers.png

• Options
    I don't really like those 2 names, especially the way it's pronounced and put together.... So I say neither.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"