Cloth Diapering

Baby wearers - dressing for cold weather

We've been going for nightly dog walks and lately I've been putting C in the Moby to keep him warm since it's getting pretty chilly.
Right now we put him in am extra pair of socks (we don't have boots because he's only 5 months) his winter hat, a fleece coat with a hood, with a long sleeve shirt or sleeper underneath. Tonight we added mittens to the ensamble too. He seems warm enough now, but it's only getting colder.

We have a baby snowsuit for him for in the stroller, it's more Fall weight than a true puffy thing for winter, but it's still pretty heavy, too heavy for under the Moby I think.

What do you put your little ones in for baby wearing in cold weather? How much does your own body heat play into keeping them warm?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
When Fluff Mail Arrives:

Re: Baby wearers - dressing for cold weather

• Do you have a coat that will zip over you and the baby? That will be a huge help in keeping you both warm.

freezorburn
  • edited October 2014
    I made this last fall/winter for DS1, and I pull it out now for DS2. Eta: forgot the link https://walkingwithdancers.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-make-baby-wearing-coat.html
    freezorburnKelly11235
  • Loading the player...
  • I wore one of DH's sweatshirts on the last chilly day here and zipped it up over DS

• My dd wears a 3x and I only wear a m-l size.....so I snagged her coat for the buddy walk and zipped it up over ds and I. Then joked that ds was keeping me warm.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
    unaveragejane
  • have you tried baby legs?
  • I made this last fall/winter for DS1, and I pull it out now for DS2. Eta: forgot the link https://walkingwithdancers.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-make-baby-wearing-coat.html
    OMG, what an awesome tutorial! I must make one of these immediately. Thanks for sharing!

For our first year we had the Ergo fleece and rain cover and those worked pretty well. I think they will attach to any buckle carrier except it might not be able to attach at the bottom, which is fine.

But, we haven't use those in a while. I have a few merino wool (one is blended with silk) long-sleeve onesies that DS wears as a baselayer throughout the winter. I usually combine that with a T-shirt and then another sweater over that. We have pretty mild winters here, so that's usually enough, but if it's a particularly chilly day I'll throw one of DH's coats on over the both of us.
  • Thanks Ladies! These are All excellent suggestions. I don't have a coat big enough for the two of us, but maybe I could find a really big zip hoodie. I love that coat tutorial, it would be good for the Fall. I think a wool or knitted one piece might be the best bet for cold weather, with some very snugly slippers to keep his feet warm.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I have a cotton woven wrap that I use with DD.  We went for a mile walk this morning to mail some letters and it was in the mid-30's outside.  I dressed DD in a onesie, socks, a long sleeve footed terry cloth-material sleep&play, and knit hat; wrapped her on me, and zipped a large fleece sweatshirt over both of us. I always try to take my body heat into account when dressing her, especially because we live in a hill-y area and I am usually quite warm after hiking up and down hills for a mile or more.  As it gets colder I am planning on adding a layer to what she is wearing but the above outfit worked very well for mid-30's today! 

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
  • Thanks Ladies! These are All excellent suggestions. I don't have a coat big enough for the two of us, but maybe I could find a really big zip hoodie. I love that coat tutorial, it would be good for the Fall. I think a wool or knitted one piece might be the best bet for cold weather, with some very snugly slippers to keep his feet warm.

I've thought about making anotherthat's 2 layers of fleece for the winter. The way last winter was though I didn't go out much at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"