3rd Trimester

Tummy Tuck & Premature Labor

Hi there,

I'm having the darnedest time finding any information on this - so I was hoping you guys might have some incite.  I had an extended tummy tuck (with muscle sutures and all) about 5 years ago.  I'm now 31 weeks into my first pregnancy and am curious - will the tummy tuck cause an early labor?  Or does it not really influence anything?

Thank you so much for your help!
Liz

Re: Tummy Tuck & Premature Labor

• Why would it?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My general understanding from the few resources I can find is that because your stomach wall can't expand, it restricts the size of the uterus from growing.  This in turn causes you to go into labor early.  I'm 31 weeks, and people ask me all the time if I've miscarried because I'm hardly showing at all.  I don't even need to wear maternity clothing!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ask your doctor but I wonder how your ab muscles are sutures- is it like a permanent suture that holds your rectus muscles together? I'm not a health professional at all but I'm thinking that even if that is the case, many women go through pg without their rectus muscles separating.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ask your doc or your plastic surgeon. I'm guessing 99% of the posters here haven't had tummy tucks.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• I think this is a question not as many women have experience with, and so you would be better off asking your health care professional.  It's really something you should have discussed with them as soon as you got pregnant to be honest.
  • Thank you to the few people who didn't leave mean or accusatory comments.  Of course I've discussed it with my doctor prior to 31 weeks.  I'm told that there should be no medical issues, and not to be concerned.  What I'm asking here is what other people's experiences were!  Jimmny christmas.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"